Early Preflowers/Sexing questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krikri

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm trying to sex one plant and I've got some questions:

In the very early beginning, female preflowers (calyxes) may look like male flowers, right? I'm asking because I'm seeing some small ball-like things growing out of the internodes, but it's only one on each node. If it was a male, there would be more, right? And the pistils don't come out immediately, right?

It's been only a couple of days since I saw these, and I'm in 12/12 since, just to find out what's going on - I know it's only a matter of days before my questions are answered, but I'm impatient and I'd like to get rid of any males as soon as possible, so if anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here are some pics:

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

Hello krikri :)

Welcome to the forum.

I am 95% sure that is a male.

Give it another week and you will know for certain.

:peace:

Im gonna call that a dude...I dont see any female signs and if you see a ball that means pollen which will seed ur other plants...

:watchplant:

Hi,

I'm with HIE... 95% sure but it's not going to hurt anything to keep an eye on it until the pollen sacs are more developed to confirm that it's a male... It doesn't happen overnight so there's no sense of urgency...

Peace!:cool:

I'm with HIE too. Just keep an eye on it.
The ball part will have a very short but defined stem
:)
Gb

Yeah, I guess I'll keep an eye on that primordia a couple more days, and see how it goes. Got myself one of those LED illuminated 60x-100x portable microscopes, but I find it impossible to focus and examine closer, so that's why I needed some more experienced opinions.

If these turn out to be male sacks indeed, I'll settle with even a hermie plant, because it would at least give me something to smoke...I've got three more seedlings besides this plant, but this one is my first grow and I'd like to smoke something out of it :p

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your help :)

krikri said:
I'll settle with even a hermie plant, because it would at least give me something to smoke...I've got three more seedlings besides this plant, but this one is my first grow and I'd like to smoke something out of it

Yup, I agree fully.

But make sure the (If you get one) hermie has all and every pollen sack removed, they also hide inside the buds.

I presume you have the seedlings in a different room.

:peace:

HippyInEngland said:
I presume you have the seedlings in a different room.
No, because they're less than a week old, so I didn't think it was necessary. Just this morning I found out another one popped out overnight, so I've got 4 sharing two small pots for now.

This morning I saw one more thing - a few hair-like things growing at the top of the older plant. Pics are not very good, and I know these can be new leaves, but could they also be pistils?

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

Im not convinced that those are males just yet. If you just started seeing the preflowers then its still to early to say.. It seems whatever plant that is thats growing in that last pic is beginning to flower. Could be female could be hermie

:yeahthat:

I'm with Bluealein56 on this one. But then I'm not as experienced as some of the others who responded here. I just don't see sex yet.

Those last 2 pics you just put up show some nice growth- but you need to focus on the nodes- that's where the preflowers will show up.

And you won't need a microscope to tell once they pop!

Good luck Krikri, hope it's a lady for ya!

Happy Growing!:cool:

Well, I got the microscope for the buds mostly, but I figured I could also use it to examine the preflowers...bad idea since it needs to touch the surface of what it examines, and you can't do that with such a small object.

Here are a few more pics from today. The node in these picture looked like it could hold a calyx with naked eye, but after looking at the picture I think I'm just looking at a new pair of leaves that's growing from there...:(

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

krikri didnt you already say that you have removed balls from the plant?? I have yet to see balls on a female..

krikri said:
Well, I got the microscope for the buds mostly, but I figured I could also use it to examine the preflowers...bad idea since it needs to touch the surface of what it examines, and you can't do that with such a small object.

Here are a few more pics from today. The node in these picture looked like it could hold a calyx with naked eye, but after looking at the picture I think I'm just looking at a new pair of leaves that's growing from there...:(

hmmm... well in my first grow i had a hermie, at 1st it seemed 100% female no doubt but during flowering when the buds started filling, apparently this tiny banana looking things started appearing in my bud, and i grew it to the end had to do lots of maintenance though to remove those bananaz and the yield wasnt that great the budds were fluffy and the smoke would crackle evrynow and then. lol anyways wht im trying to say those look females too me and u might have managed to control ur hermie issue but U MUST KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THOSE BANANAZ. i will wait for the budds to make my call till then, good luck with ur grow :).

Hi Krikri-

Is there any way you can focus in on the area I circled in your picture? That's where it looks like you got some growth going on.

I also put 2 little sketches on your picture (sorry, they are very crude). The one on the left resembles (sort of) a male pre-flower. The one on the right resembles a female preflower.

The way I see it, the male is like a few balls dangling from a stem- and the female is a little single ball sitting right at the node with 2 white hairs coming out of it.

That 3rd pic looks promising too- maybe a close-up of that growth tip too.

Hope this helps. Still hoping it's a girl for ya! :cool:

Well.....what more can I say....I love this forum :heart:

Thanks everyone for taking the time, it feels awesome to see how many people got interested and show their support to a new grower :)

2Dog said:
krikri didnt you already say that you have removed balls from the plant??
No, I didn't say that - I said I would like to remove males as soon as possible.

But of course if these turn out to be balls (which I'm sure some are), I'll remove all of them as soon as they grow a bit and can be removed, because they're too small for that right now.

Iamganja said:
wht im trying to say those look females too me and u might have managed to control ur hermie issue but U MUST KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THOSE BANANAZ.
I will man, thanks, let's hope you're right :)

BBFan said:
Hi Krikri-

Is there any way you can focus in on the area I circled in your picture? That's where it looks like you got some growth going on.

That 3rd pic looks promising too- maybe a close-up of that growth tip too.
Hi BBFan,

I did my best, but early morning pictures just isn't my thing :p Most of the pics came out blurry, including most of the pics I got from the internodes.

I'll get some better ones later today - not sure if you can see something else in there, but unfortunately all I see is leaves and more leaves...:(

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg

still too soon yo. give it a few days...........
but like it was said before. If there were balls on there and ya pulled them off then its still a male.

Hi Krikri-

How old were they when you put them on 12/12?

I would wait. IMHO the jury's still out on the sex thing.

Happy Growing! :cool:

Its a hermie. You'll soon get more hairs and then what looks like resin pods until they harden into seeds, i saw one that had them formed under the bud sites. It started off with two resin pod looking things with a hair or two coming out of it, then turned into four before harvest. I couldn't tell at first if they were nanners or new leaves with a solid yellow line running down the middle. It had bud spots and then bud growth with white hairs everywhere. Turned out hermie. The smoke was really good though, hope this helps.

the chef said:
Its a hermie. You'll soon get more hairs and then what looks like resin pods until they harden into seeds, i saw one that had them formed under the bud sites. It started off with two resin pod looking things with a hair or two coming out of it, then turned into four before harvest. I couldn't tell at first if they were nanners or new leaves with a solid yellow line running down the middle. It had bud spots and then bud growth with white hairs everywhere. Turned out hermie. The smoke was really good though, hope this helps.

Hi Chef! How you doing?

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how it can be determined to be a hermie before it's shown any flowers at all. What am I missing?

-BBFan

Hey bb, my first plant, sativa dom., showed the same characteristics as the pics, it looks to be growing the same way including the little shoots in pic four. I thought it was a female the only survivor of my first grow in my gj, check it out and tell me what you think, of course i've been known to be wrong:eek: here:48: lets see what the verdict is.:beatnik:

Latest posts

Back