Early Sexing Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzgig

Reaction score
Hai, forgive me if this has been asked a lot as I have a feeling it has, but...

I have 3 new plants that are almost 5 weeks old that I'd like to take a clone from each now to check them (I need the space) can I do this now or do I néed to wait 2 months? I'll just be taking 1. (I'd rather not do the cover a branch method).

What are visible signs for a plants readiness to clone?

Fizzgig said:
Hai, forgive me if this has been asked a lot as I have a feeling it has, but...

I have 3 new plants that are almost 5 weeks old that I'd like to take a clone from each now to check them (I need the space) can I do this now or do I néed to wait 2 months? I'll just be taking 1. (I'd rather not do the cover a branch method).

What are visible signs for a plants readiness to clone?

good day...
well first does the plant have alternating nodes?? or they still growing side by side...
if there side by side then there not ready yet.. (not sexually mature)..
if alternating then there ready...

you can take a cutting and place it in 12/12 for 7-10 days.. no need to pace in peat pellet or RW just toss in a cup of water...
this will work perfect if you got something flowering... then i just toss em in there...

also if you have alternating nodes you can look for preflowers... and this will give you a good indicaion of fem or male..

hope this helps some..
LH

This might help....

Alternating nodes>>> nodes.JPG

Pre-flowers>>>>flower_en.jpg

@ 5 weeks old they will probably show sex soon, so you might just wanna wait. JMO.

I understand now-so excellent, thanks!

They aren't alternating yet so I'll wait. What do you mean they should be showing preflowers by now? Without changing lighting they will? (currently 18/6)

Sorry, edit - what do you mean they shoul be showing sex soon? ;)

Fizzgig said:
I understand now-so excellent, thanks!

They aren't alternating yet so I'll wait. What do you mean they should be showing preflowers by now? Without changing lighting they will? (currently 18/6)

Sorry, edit - what do you mean they shoul be showing sex soon? ;)

after they have alternating nodes like hammies pic they will show "pre flowers" also like in hammies pic....lol....

there an indication the plant is sexually mature...
you will either see the calyx and pistils or balls

LH

I've never had a problem sexing the plants before but I just didnt realize they showed it before flipping them to 12/12.

Thanks so much guys, I just got these seeds in a bag and they are unknown but I will keep them as moms if I can

Fizzgig said:
I just got these seeds in a bag and they are unknown but I will keep them as moms if I can

i would recomend not using bag seed... IMO a waste... alot of hermies become of bag seed...
and i'll tell you its a real crotch buster when you go threw all the effort and put out the cash o get into/half way threw flower and have nanners poppin all over the place..

also bag seed mom :eek: ..... bad idea...
seeds are cheap... buy 1 or 2 strains grow em and keep a clone for a mom that way..
LH

This is just my logic, if someone is giving away a bag full of seeds(100+) for free, then they can't be of much good quality or they would have been sold or kept, or have a good story as to why they were free.

It is seriously disappointing to put all the work and money into growing some nice plants only to have them herm like crazy 2 weeks from harvest. :(

First, this was just 3 seeds (a Kush and 2 Dutch treat)

Second, the seeds I was given previously (many hundreds) were not top quality but from a long time outdoor grower and good friend of mine. The hundreds were intended for outdoor growing and that's what I did with them.

Now I'm inside under lights but not a lot of room in my veg area right now (tomatoes and peppers too :) )

Not worried about quality of these seeds. Question being about when to clone and I am happy with what I've learned here so thank you again.

Although I still want to experiment in the future on early sexing... I'll wait till I have more space.

Hushpuppy said:
This is just my logic, if someone is giving away a bag full of seeds(100+) for free, then they can't be of much good quality or they would have been sold or kept, or have a good story as to why they were free.

It is seriously disappointing to put all the work and money into growing some nice plants only to have them herm like crazy 2 weeks from harvest. :(

....if you find only a seed err two, or five.. in a bag of 'otherwise' seedless/sensi', it is only "logical" to believe, assume that they were a mistake, and 'most likely' are the product of an errant hermie father. Thus not only increasing the probability of exhibiting the same trait themselves, but further strengthening that genetic characteristic in the line.
that said, I grew nothing BUT bagseeds for almost 20 years, outdoors, 20 years ago :confused2:

Fizzgig said:
First, this was just 3 seeds (a Kush and 2 Dutch treat)

Not worried about quality of these seeds. Question being about when to clone and I am happy with what I've learned here so thank you again.

It is not the quality of the seeds we are concerned about--it is the method in which they were created. It is the source of the seeds and the chances of it hermying. When you find a few seeds in a bag that should be sensilmillia, it is almost certainly the result of selfing and the chances of these seeds hermying are great. After you put 2 months or more into a grow, it is just a heartbreaker to have your plant hermie. I had an entire crop heavily seeded many many moons ago from using a bag seed that hermied. I will never again do this and lose and entire crop. Good genetics are cheap.

Hick, I used bagseed when I grew outdoors too, but we never culled the males, and I had never heard about hermies. However, since we did not cull the males, the seeds we planted were most likely created in the old fashioned way--with male pollen and a ready female.

Hushpuppy said:

From my thinking, a hippie might give away hundreds of good seeds for free, maybe even thousands,may not need a story,may be just the peeps personality!! If I truly love the smoke,I grow it!! If there's hundreds of seeds IMO,!! It's probably not a hermie, I don't know your MJ resorces, but there seems to be so much choice out there, if your passion for growing is as large as mine you'll grow what's available no matter what it is!! The End!! Just curious?? how much money do you estimate your going to invest in these girls, that's a question I never ask myself, lol

SKAGITMAGIC said:
From my thinking, a hippie might give away hundreds of good seeds for free, maybe even thousands,may not need a story,may be just the peeps personality!! If I truly love the smoke,I grow it!! If there's hundreds of seeds IMO,!! It's probably not a hermie, I don't know your MJ resorces, but there seems to be so much choice out there, if your passion for growing is as large as mine you'll grow what's available no matter what it is!! The End!! Just curious?? how much money do you estimate your going to invest in these girls, that's a question I never ask myself, lol
:) That would actually be the story behind someone getting a bunch of seeds from someone for free without knowing the genetics. Some decent grower that has kept his "natural bourne" seeds from a variety of plants that he or she has grown for the last year or two, then says to a new grower, "here ya are friend, some beans for ya to get started with". This is a better scenario than, "I got this bag o seeds from my buddy whose friend said that his brother's best friend's dad had ordered some killer and pulled out these seeds from it."

When my partner and I got started with our "gro-lab", we were growing some beans from a bag of some commercial killer that had some seeds, and some clones from a friend that had bred the strain he was using. The first couple grows went well but on the third grow, the bag seed girls bloomed so many nanners throughout the buds on every plant that it looked like we were growing "butter-cups". Then to add insult to injury, the clones from our buddy ended up full of seeds.

That was when I ordered seeds from the seed bank. I'm not knocking the use of bag seed but I had such disappointment after bringing a dozen plants to harvest only to have them wiped out and leave us with maybe 1/4 the smoke that we would have had.

At this point we probably have about $5K-$7K invested in the "gro-lab", all things considered. I don't see a problem with experimenting with "unknown" or "questionable" seeds as long as you know going in what the risks are. :)

I haven't seen bagweed in washington state with seeds since 1994,and I brought it back from cali., before that the 70s, the only other time I see it is on vacation in Florida, and Them seeds, I only grew once and they \grew good sensi, never nannered and seeded. I guess luck could play into it. Not sure, I've looked at your blueberry punch thread and was very impressed, nice looking buds.

Thanks :) I took a chance on them when I was looking for good genetics, and they worked out real well. I also got some White Russian at the same time that has turned out to be really solid as well.

I guess that being north of the Cali-crops keeps you guys in good quality MJ most of the time. It seems like here in NC that all you can buy commercially is mediocre bag weed with seeds a constant companion in the mix.

My friends are amazed at the quality of my stuff. They think I am growing top shelf smoke, and I thinking "really? this isn't top shelf. We are only getting our legs under us on solid grows. Hopefully the best is yet to come." :)

Latest posts

Back