Extremely New Question about HPS bulbs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BizzyHigh

Club Treasurer
Reaction score
I am extremely new to growing actually just got a little plant from my friend today and after reading online about what kind of bulbs to potential use i went out and bought a 150 watt HPS bulb but can not get it to work with the cone i also bought.. Do i have to have a special lamp that is compatible with the HPS bulb? Anything you can tell me will be helpful.. Thanks!

BizzyHigh said:
I am extremely new to growing actually just got a little plant from my friend today and after reading online about what kind of bulbs to potential use i went out and bought a 150 watt HPS bulb but can not get it to work with the cone i also bought.. Do i have to have a special lamp that is compatible with the HPS bulb? Anything you can tell me will be helpful.. Thanks!

Sounds like you have the bulb and not the ballast.
All HPS lamps need a ballast to operate.

Here is a bare bones ballast kit that will be your cheapest route.
http://www.1000bulbs.com/150-Watt-High-Pressure-Sodium/467/

Yes usually you do need a special lamp for an hps bulb, and ballast and starter. Im not sure about a 150w one though I think they all run the same way. I know a 250 needs all that stuff to run.

you can purchase a 150W hps flood at e-conolight.com really cheap.
Or look for an "electrical supply company" in your phone book and you can pay cash.
Specify 150W HPS flood....you will want the complete kit. I do not recommend for NEWB's to try to wire a ballast replacement kit up. That can be tricky.

BizzyHigh said:
Are these ballast already put together and u just plug in the bulb and go or is there wireing that needs to be done?

There is wireing to be done and like Mutt said if there is any doudt if you can do it just get a pre assembled light.

Wiring is incredibly easy... Hook up the 2 wires by colour from the socket to the ballast (you might have to open up the ballast to make the connection). * Make sure it is a grounded plug. You're good to grow ; )

dj_destroyer said:
Wiring is incredibly easy... Hook up the 2 wires by colour from the socket to the ballast (you might have to open up the ballast to make the connection). * Make sure it is a grounded plug. You're good to grow ; )

We are talking about a "ballast kit" you have to wire the Cap and starter as well as a 120 volt cord and then the socket.

I agree its easy if you can follow a diagram.

dj_destroyer said:

dude wiring a "replacement ballast kit" is harder than buying a "pre-assembled HPS flood"

OG used to have, IC has one and a few other places how to change a flood to a remote....there is one thread out there in cyberspace that shows how to wire a replacement ballast kit together ;) Lot more instructions. :shocked:

Latest posts

Back