First Grow, First Post, hows it looking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BioG1

Reaction score
So after reading up on it for about 2 weeks I planted my seeds. Ghetto looking I know, but it seems to be working. This is two days after planting. How does it look so far? Click on the pics to make em big.

I am using

Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Mix
Solo Cups
Phillips Plant Light
Distilled Water
My closet

TALK ABOUT CHEAP. But every cup has a sprouted plant in it so I guess thats good.

me 001.jpg

me 005.jpg

Welcome to the site, looks like you're off to a good start. What type of light are you using ?

Phillips 50W Plant Light...But hey, its better than a regular light bulb...right?

hi bio welcome youll enjoy this site so friendly.

hope the seeds are females dude thats youre only predicament

pkj

Looking good there bro...and :welcome:2 MP.com there is everything you need to know in here and if it isn't these guys/gals will know where to find it.

I would say ditch the Miracle Grow though...Iv'e only heard bad things about that stuff plus I really don't think you need much with your plants at the stage they are...other than that nice start man...:48:....

Oh my bad man....didn't read it correctly at first...I thought you were using Miracle Grow to fertilize your plants, not the the Miracle Grow brand of soil...that's fine to use I guess....try adding some perlite to the soil it will help hold the moisture better.....

Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Mix

I've used the same stuff in my grow, and it's been a little hot for my plants, imo. Too much fert too quickly. MG is readily available, I know, but an alternative may be the MG "Organic" potting soil. it has way less nutes.

Looking good so far- Might look into floros or something in the next week or two to get them off on a good foot. Lighting is probly one of the most important factors here since I see you're growing indoors. Get a good HID light if you can afford one.

And good luck with the rest of the grow-

do you have a fan on them?Have it blow on low.Its looking like its gonna start to streach on you.so If you are looking for a cheap way to go,go to wal-mart and get some CFL's(8 bucks apiece) that way you will be closer to the correct light spectrum.Keep it GREEN:hubba:

Welcome to MP all the best with your grow ill be keepin watch :D

So the day after I posted, this happend...the only change I made was moving them closer to the light. 3 of em fell over and 3 of em didnt.

me 002.jpg

do you have a fan on them??? get rid of the plant light and get come CFL's. it might got to hot for them. they also look a lil streachy. add some more soil to it to support the stem. Hope they pick back up for you

That plant light your using, maybe be a "show" plant light. When I was starting off we got one thinking it was to grow, but its really just to show off indoor plants. Do a little reading about lights. By the way the plants are stretching, it doesn't look like that particular light is helping them at all.

if you go on ebay, you can find 500W cfl's between 10 and 20 bucks, low heat output. same with mylar, i just got it off ebay new $14/25 x 48" roll. for soil, i've been using "jungle blend compost soil from lowe's 4.50/bag-1 bag=almost 6 big plants...or go hydro, system costs under 70 with lights if your a "careful" buyer...nutrients costs extra of course. 48 inch-high output floro's are working good for me at the second, but i'm thinking about adding in a some "red" led lights here and there...just a little something to think about if you wanna go cheapy. inhale-hold-hold-choke

I've heard that Miracle Grow soil with moisture control cant get moldy and cause bud rot. Shouldnt be too worried about it tho, maybe the nutes.

You can make your own soil using 25% perlite, 25% vermiculite, 25% peat moss and 25% soil.

Thanks for the help everyone.

So would a 100W 1600 lumens CFL light be good to light 3 plants in a tiny closet space? If I got a 150W would that be too much?

It is almost impossible to give too much light, its about the emanating heat. I have 80+ watts per sq. foot and they thrive. As long as you can keep the heat down then get 5 150w.

Nice start BioG1, I would invest a little money into some CFL's for a start. Why are you feeding the plant distilled water? Are you concerned that a few misplaced molecules from the tap water may taint your dirty dirt (sorry but I love hydro)? Where do you get distilled water from anyway?

dj, you may want to double check what you heard, I didn't think there is such a thing as a soil that can't contain mold or potentially harmful bacteria. Do you know how it prevents the mold?

Was also wondering DJ, why do you add soil to your mixture if you are going to be using perlite and vermiculite? I personally prefer a 1/3 ratio of just those 2 because soil just doesn't preform properly and there is no such thing as clean dirt.

You need alot more light bro, get some more cfl's in there. Just as a reference point, i have eight 26w, 1700 lumens cfl's on just one plant, and i think it is just enough for her, and she is only 1.5 ft tall. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back