First Rookie Grow Journal!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the PH of your water/nutrient solution?

I might get slated for this, but I also had this kind of problem with the lower leaves turning yellow and not from lack of nutrients ect and the plant just hit a stand still more or less it just wasn't growing much at all. I couldn't figure out what was causing it and so after much debate with myself and 2 friends we decided to cut those leaves off. It was just 2 of the fan leaves at the bottom of the plant at around the 3rd or 4th week of veg. Just a few days later the plant had grown a lot and looked much healthier and those yellow leaves haven't come back since.

I'm not saying you should do this, do it as a last resort if anything if you can't find out what is causing the problem. Just sharing my own story which sounds like but could be totally different to your own.

Make sure your PH is in check, as previously mentioned 6.0-6.5 I like between this IMO. Maby 1/2 strength is to strong, try 1/4 strength and see what happens. Keep your temps no more then 75. I like to use Superthrive as a nutrient additive. It does wonders for my plants every time. I use a 1/4 tsp per gallon with my other nutes and 1tbsp of unsulphered molasses per gallon. IMO I never cut anything off my plants, your plant may bounce back.

last feedings ph was 6.7 and i just got cal-mag plus so lets hope it works :)

]
A few years ago my lovely wife and I decided to test the efficacy of SUPERthrive upon Nepenthes. We started by posting a query on the carnivorous plant listserve, found how horticulturists used the stuff on carnivores, and designed some experiments to test it.

We conducted three tests:

1. A onetime soil-drench with SUPERthrive was performed on freshly made cuttings at the time of planting. The concentration of SUPERthrive we used was 1.9 ml/liter of water, which approximately corresponds to "one capful per liter", as prescribed by users.
2. Fresh cuttings were soaked for 45-60 minutes in a SUPERthrive solution of 1 ml/liter water, and were then potted.
3. Established plants were sprayed, once per week, with a 0.2 ml/liter solution of SUPERthrive. Plants were grown in these conditions for six months.

After six months of tests we could not detect any significant effect from SUPERthrive--nothing useful of any kind! Interestingly, despite the fact that we used SUPERthrive just as some horticulturists recommended, other horticulturists criticized our study, saying that we used it wrong!

Well, our challenge still stands--I am waiting for anyone to conduct a scientific test, with statistical merit, proving SUPERthrive is of value in growing carnivorous plants. Our tests have come up empty. Anyone? Anyone?

If you would be interested in exploring SUPERthrive further with genuine tests, but would need help with the experimental design or the analysis statistics, please contact me! But remember, it takes a lot of work to do this kind of project properly. You cannot simply apply SUPERthrive to a few plants---you need a statistically significant sample, so a minor mishap like a marauding slug doesn't mess up your whole experiment! You also need a separate sample that is treated completely identically as the SUPERthrive group, but which did not have SUPERthrive applied. In the experiments we did, we used 184 Nepenthes plants---it was a big experiment.
But... but... but it's got a really catchy label-
hxxp://www.superthrive.com/page1.htm
p1c.gif

I would cut the strength of your nute mix.But the first thing I would do is feed just water for 2-3 waterings to help flush everything.

:hairpull: :hairpull: :hairpull: My Critical Plant is really getting on my nerves, no matter what i do or check it wont recover. New leaves grew and looked good. 2 days later they getting the same "infection" that took out the lower leaves. 'it just doesnt want to go away it keeps on going up the plant. My Blue cheese lowers leaves are bad but the upper ones look fine. alittle yellow in the middle but looks way better compared to my Advanced seeds Critical. and my SDGF looks great. (will post pics of my f'ed up plant later:( )​

lol i wish it sprouted on me but stupid perlite rocks blocked it from doing so.

Hey guyz sry for the lack of updates ive been really busy lately. So i got sum photos of my plants in flowering stage. Remember this was my first grow so im not really happy with the results so far but hoping i can get sumthing out of them and move on to new better grows. What u guyz Think?

What u guyz Think?
I think there "is" room for improvement..;) But you got that initial rookie grow in, now.. onward and upward!!

Your next grow will be much better :aok:

From seed, I fully water a 16oz cup of a starter soil. Once popped, do nothing. Wait for it to show slight light greening(the sprout should be on its second to third set of real leaves by then). Now use a root stimulator feed at 1/2str(I like Schultz's root stimulator). Now, watering only when dry, they can stay in the cup for a few nodes (I can get to about 6-7 nodes in the cup before having to transplant). *No nutes should be needed until after the transplant.

4 plants looks like maybe 10.5 grams to me. Not a complete waste of electricity if u learned something

ouch! I think like a good 1/4 oz but what matters is the learning experience... I think u should vegg longer or add more plants like 30 per 4x4ft SOG... If it was me I wouldn t concentrate on those little plants... Just take what u have learned and start some more plants I like to go with clones but seeds r just as good n they grow faster good luck with ur next grow.... Remember go bigger when vegging Read about plants nutrition so they get reall fat... GREEN MOJO your way buddy Read some of Hamster Lewis grows he just started growing in 2009 check out his grow ull get inspired and a learn a lot I bet c ya

Stop using superthrive its crap...lower the PH of your soil to 6,5 and flush those plants properly and it should be fine,dont water them until the soil completely dries out,it will promote stronger root growth,H202 3% in a dose of 5ml on a liter of water will promote even more massive root growth and will wash out the crap from your soil!

Sup guyz, i just got to week 8 in my first grow:icon_smile: . Ive been feeding it super thrive with Fox farm big Bloom and tiger. so far its been ok... i kno i could of done way better but im happy with the results. im was thinking of leaving them for one more week but not sure. wat u guyz think?

Then Let it dry for about 3 days and cure it for like a week.

You shld really go by trich color....a small pocket microscope is cheap and a great thing to hve....a necessity in my opinion. Right up there with a good ph meter.

No way anyone cld tell from pics under a HPS light if you are done yet.

Latest posts

Back