First Time Sea of Green. need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyTwoTokes

Reaction score
Hi, well this is my first time doing Sea of Green. I have a space that is 7ft long and 3 1/2 feet wide and ceiling is 8 feet high. I have 18 pots with 2.5 gallons 10" wide inside the space with clones in them. I have a mix of cow manure, peat humus, organic soil, peat moss, pearlite, vermiculite, bone meal and blood meal. I have a 600 watt HID Digital Ballast reflective hood 33" long by 26" wide. My question is how long should I keep them in veg? They are all about 4.5" tall right now. What is a good final size for each plant since I just want one big kola bud on each plant. Is this enough light for this space for sea of green? My pots are taking up a space of 13.5 square feet.

If they are Indica dominant or total Indica then I would veg them until they are 24" then flip. If they are Sativa or Sat dominant then I would veg them to about 12-14". If a straight up 50/50 hybrid, then I would veg them to 15-20" depending on how the structure looks.

You are definitely under lit for flower. For now you are just in for veg but I would add a second light if using MH for veg light as the plants at the outer edge will be getting far less light and will stretch much more. Using a second light will keep strong lumens directly over them all and allow them to grow without stretching and getting an uneven canopy. You will definitely need a second 600w for flowering.

T3 18 pots in 21 sq ft is far from a sea of green... most SOG setups have 4 plants per sq foot in tiny pots...

like Hushpuppy said you will be underlit with just 1 600w in that 21 sq ft space... if you can somehow make a wall at the end of your pots to keep grow area around 15 sq feet the 600 should be enough light... if ya have that mush head room id veg the plants a couple weeks before flipping to flower... :48:

Oh the strain is Super Silver. A Sativa Dominant mix. I can definately close it off further to cut it down on the square footage until I get another light. So most SOG should be 4 plants per square foot? I thought it was 4 plants per sq foot when starting from seedlings, Im starting from clones. Most of the articles Ive read have 1 plant per square foot. You are confusing me dude. Alot of the setups Ive seen are using 3 gallon pots, 1 plant per square foot. The smaller the pot the smaller the plant. Im growing in soil not hydro so theres no way I can do 4 plants per square foot at flowering.

Not all SOGs are planted that intensively. I would still consider a grow with 1 plant per sq ft where the grower was concentrating on a single cola per plant a SOG. However, I too believe that if I had that much headroom, I would give them as few weeks of veg.

Thanks for the heads up. I had a feeling I would have to be vegging for at least a few weeks because if I just put them straight into flowering stage once the clones are all well rooted , they wouldnt be as big as they should be. As HushPuppy recommended 12-14" then start the flowering light cycle makes sense especially since it is Sativa Dominant. I am using MH for veg and HPS for flowering. I did read that super silver is one of the better Sativas to use for SOG if I am not going to have Indica (Which is ideal for SOG from what I have read.) I am working on obtaining some good KUSH strains from someone I know very soon. Im going to have to get another light before I start flowering, I dont want to be underlit, it will waste energy and have a lower yield which I would want to avoid.

Hi wll my girls are coming along nicely. But next time I am going to try a few things like Fimming because they dont seem like they will produce enough weight per plant. This is Super Silver Haze.

Does anyone know why some of my leaves have these light speckles on them?

View attachment SickLeaf.jpg

View attachment BabyBuds1.jpg

View attachment Plants1.jpg

View attachment Plants2.jpg

View attachment Palnts3.jpg

View attachment Plants4.jpg

View attachment Plants5.jpg

View attachment Plants6.jpg

Looks like you got a few things going on.

the speckles look like thrips... check the undersides of the leaves really well.

could be another form of bugs- mites.

but looks like thrips.

do you supercrop?

Make sure to water the entire container really well...it looks like your skimping on the watering.

do you have a cpl of fans on the plants?

The stalks and stems look kinda wimpy.

I use avid if I ever have bugs- its main ingredient is used on humans as a de-wormer. The stigma about it is mostly just grape vine talk as it is a naturally occuring substance. It works great on all forms of inverts and will really knock an infestation out quickly.

I recommend it highly as long as your not late into flower.

ive had success with lightly misting w iso and a little bit of water sprayed directly on the effected areas too.

I dont like treating them at all if I dont have to but mites can become devastating quick.

Good start and green mojo!

the speckles look like thrips... check the undersides of the leaves really well.

but looks like thrips.

do you supercrop?

Make sure to water the entire container really well...it looks like your skimping on the watering.

do you have a cpl of fans on the plants?

The stalks and stems look kinda wimpy.

I use avid if I ever have bugs- its main ingredient is used on humans as a de-wormer. The stigma about it is mostly just grape vine talk as it is a naturally occuring substance. It works great on all forms of inverts and will really knock an infestation out quickly.

I recommend it highly as long as your not late into flower.

ive had success with lightly misting w iso and a little bit of water sprayed directly on the effected areas too.

I dont like treating them at all if I dont have to but mites can become devastating quick.

Good start and green mojo!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I water it in two parts. Ill water it once and then about 20 minutes later I water again making sure all of the dirt is saturated. I ran out of water when I took the pics. I noticed I have some tiny nats / aphids flying around but didnt check under the leaves. I will do that as soon as the lights turn back on. My friend has been using a layer of pearlite on top and mention sand also to keep away the aphids, I was thinking of trying that out as well. I do have one fan blowing on them directly but I havnt been turning it on often enough. I am going to keep it on much longer now that you mention it.

Not sure what supercropping is. Ill look it up. I havnt done it yet. THey have been flowring for about 2 -3 weeks the most. I am working on getting another lamp since this 600w is barely cutting it and I have been told it would be underlit.

"1 big cola per plant"---why u got all those branches----looks to me u missed the SOG window

i agree with JAAM---next time---use 4, 1gal pots per sq ft---strip all branches to a single stalk a week before u flip to flower---continue to strip all new branches thru the 1st 2 weeks of flower---flip at 2'---the 1 gal container has enough space for roots for a plant finnishing at 4'

under the current conditions---keep in mind an 8' ceiling will not allow u an 8' plant because of the light and if they are sitting in a tray---ur actual grow space is measured from the top of the pot to the lens of the light---so if u 1/2 way there---you need to flip to flower

good rule of thumb for deciding the time to flower is the plant will likely double its height average when u flip the lights---IMO u need to give the plants the space to continue its growth---will depend on how long it takes to mature---sativas take longer to harvest so IMO u flip them when they 1/3 the distance to the maximum height of the light cause they will more than double in height---indicas get flipped 1/2 the distance to the light

ur grow looks good to me---you might consider an oscillating fan operating 24/7

i also agree with TOA---if you got pests---now is the time to hit them with the big guns like AVID---IMO---best to be done with them now instead of treating them every week---a good dose of AVID now will carry you thru the harvest with no ill effects

green mojo

"1 big cola per plant"---why u got all those branches----looks to me u missed the SOG window

i agree with JAAM---next time---use 4, 1gal pots per sq ft---strip all branches to a single stalk a week before u flip to flower---continue to strip all new branches thru the 1st 2 weeks of flower---flip at 2'---the 1 gal container has enough space for roots for a plant finnishing at 4'

under the current conditions---keep in mind an 8' ceiling will not allow u an 8' plant because of the light and if they are sitting in a tray---ur actual grow space is measured from the top of the pot to the lens of the light---so if u 1/2 way there---you need to flip to flower

good rule of thumb for deciding the time to flower is the plant will likely double its height average when u flip the lights---IMO u need to give the plants the space to continue its growth---will depend on how long it takes to mature---sativas take longer to harvest so IMO u flip them when they 1/3 the distance to the maximum height of the light cause they will more than double in height---indicas get flipped 1/2 the distance to the light

ur grow looks good to me---you might consider an oscillating fan operating 24/7

i also agree with TOA---if you got pests---now is the time to hit them with the big guns like AVID---IMO---best to be done with them now instead of treating them every week---a good dose of AVID now will carry you thru the harvest with no ill effects

green mojo

Thank you very much. I figured something was up with those extra branches. Its my first time so I kind of figured I would run into issues. Im definitely going to take everyones advice for the next round and hopefully reach the goal of a nice lush SOG.

but looks like thrips.

Well I looked at the undersides of the leaves with a jewelers loop and cant find any thrips. The underside of the leaf is in pristine condition. Freakin weird

That does look like some kind off leaf chewing bug has done that. Thrips usually begin at the bottom of the plants and work their way up the plant. so If that is thrips then looking on the lower leaves should show them. I recommend that you look up thrips on google image so that you know what to look ffor. They are very tiny, almost unseen by the naked eye. Look for little black specks as well. That would be bug **** ffrom them eating the leaves. It could also be any one of several chewers. I would recommend getting some Azomax and doing a "drench" on each plant to eliminate any of the leaf chewers that it could be. The good thing with the Azomax is that it biodegrades within 2 weeks so that it isn't a problem when smoking or eating the buds.

Latest posts

Back