flower??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcshoeco1041

smoking good
Reaction score
how long do i have to veg for? my plants have been vegging for close to 5 weeks now.

If you are growing regular plants from seed then they need to veg for about 5-6 weeks so that they can sexually mature. At this point you should be able to see some signs of maturation such as preflowers at the cusp of a leaf node or alternating leaf nodes. Watching for the preflowers will help you determine males from females so that the males can be removed before going far into flowering. However, sometimes it takes quite a bit longer for these to show themselves on certain strains. Most growers will (if the plants are at the size desired) go ahead and put plants into flower at 5-6weeks to force them to show sex.

If you are running femmed seeds then the need to get the preflowers for determining sex before flowering is not so important as with regular seeds, as you already know that all the plants are "supposed" to be female. However, you still have to keep an eye on them into flower as males and trannies can still pop up on occasion.

Once you are growing from clone like many here do, the plants are already mature and can be placed into flower at any point that you want from when they take root to a year later. The key is to determine how much "stretch the plant strain will have and then veg them to the size that you know will allow for stretch without causing height problems. More often when growing from seed this is a challenge (if you are growing within a limited height room or tent) because you have to let the plant reach maturity(5-6weeks) before trying to flower or the plant will stretch terribly.

Some people will grow their plants almost to maturity then take clones and grow them to a smaller height for flowering, while cutting back the original plant and keep it for a clone "mother". There are several methods that can be applied here to help with controlling height of plants :)

good stuff guys thx for all the help ( i love this forum:) ) can anyone post a few pics of male plants? i need to get em outt!

hMPp://www.weedguru.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=26629

its an old overgrow faq i think, very good!
Don't forget to change it back to http...

sMACk

Many plants do not show sex at 5 weeks. I find most of mine take 6-8 weeks. Do you have alternating nodes yet?

:yeahthat: to 6-8 weeks and :yeahthat: on alternating nodes....good sign of maturity!

I know my cut of Jack47 showed around week 6ish...

it varies 6 -9 weeks, some will lift their skirt early and others take their time, and thats why i love clones.

Latest posts

Back