flowering help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruufuus

novice ethnobotanist
Reaction score
hey guys, i just set my timer to 12/12. got 2 full grown and preflowering female sour diesel plants, and 2 vanilla kush, and 1 grandaddy purp. the vk and gdp are all 12"-16" with very large 9 bladed leaves, and very thick stalks for only being 5 weeks old. my question is, should i trim some of the massive fan leaves to let the light hit the lower branches/bud spots? also should i top it? i watched a video that showed to top em in the first week to get 2 fat colas on top rather than one. anyway i need some advice on how to manicure these ladies for maximum light penetration and yielding, thanks in advance!

No trimming leaves. Topping should have been done at least a week ago IMO but I'm sure a lot of people would still do it a week or so into flowering.

no topping, no trimming.............till the end of week 2!

...........still no topping....that is over.......topping is done early on....6-10" tall... not too much triming either!

just make sure you feed them properly for the first time....and temps and humididty...most importantly!

good luck!

Kushluvr said:
no topping, no trimming.............till the end of week 2!

...........still no topping....that is over.......topping is done early on....6-10" tall... not too much triming either!

just make sure you feed them properly for the first time....and temps and humididty...most importantly!

good luck!
why at the end of week2? and i gave them transitional nutrient feed. general hydroponics flora series.

I dont do any stress after week 2 of 12/12....and never remove the Fan leafs..its they energy pannels...I remove the lower branches...leaving the big fan leaf...Bump up the Cal/Mag early on the GDP:aok:

take care and be safe
:bolt::bong:

You should have topped them earlier but that is not a problem. You can top them now and just give them a few days before flipping so that they can heal a bit before going into flowering phase. Don't trim any leaves unless they are low on the plant and not recieving light or are at least 50% brown. If you want the lower buds to develop, wait till harvest and take the top of the plant and leave the lower stuff for another week or two. I have found that by having my plants spread out a bit and having multiple lights that the lower buds develop nicely, as they are hit with better light penetration. :)

The best time to top IMO is when you have about 6-8 nodes on plants from seed, and as soon as 3 nodes on healthy clones.

4u2sm0ke said:
I dont do any stress after week 2 of 12/12....and never remove the Fan leafs..its they energy pannels...I remove the lower branches...leaving the big fan leaf...Bump up the Cal/Mag early on the GDP:aok:

take care and be safe
thanks for the advice, ima do a bit more training to get the lower branches to receive more light, then ill let them do their thing.

Bud sites do not need light. All the photosynthesis takes place in the green parts of the plants--those great big fan leaves are the solar panels that turn water, light, and nutrients into good stuff. I try not to stress them at all while they are flowering. Anything that stops their growth and requires them to "make repairs" to themselves affects budding IMO.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Bud sites do not need light. All the photosynthesis takes place in the green parts of the plants--those great big fan leaves are the solar panels that turn water, light, and nutrients into good stuff. I try not to stress them at all while they are flowering. Anything that stops their growth and requires them to "make repairs" to themselves affects budding IMO.
so the bud sites are fueled by the massive fan leaves :D ?

absolutely :icon_smile: Those big fan leaves are the sugar factories that soak up the light energy and turn it into the sugars and other building blocks that are used to make the buds. I have seen the difference in side by side comparison from removing just some of the fan leaves versus not removing any for any reason, and the not touched side produced easily 15% more bud growth. :icon_smile:

4u2sm0ke said:

take care and be safe

I have been using cal/mag in veg are you saying to bump it up even more in flower?

dontknowmuch said:
I have been using cal/mag in veg are you saying to bump it up even more in flower?
i do not have any cal mag, i am using gh flora series 3 part, am i going to run into any problems without cal mag?

edit: i have a bottle of unsulphured blackstrap molasses, and it contains a fair amount of cal/mag. when should i use this, how much should i add to a gallon of water for feeding, and can i mix this into my water along with my gh nutrients?

I also use GH three part nutes. I don't use any cal/mag in vedge -- I do use it in flower tho -- 1tsp every other feeding. Works for me, but I AM a rookie :) I read, and I believe THG said the plants didn't need cal/mag in vedge -- am I wrong?

I have also read that when using Molasses you add 1tbs per gal. I presume in the nute mix... like the cal/mag.

Peace

I am curious as to whether or not I can substitute a cal/mag supplement with blackstrap, as I currently have no cal/mag solution, but I do have blackstrap. Anyone know for sure?

well i purchased a quart of cal/mag in light of the information you all provided me. thanks guys

With you using chemical nutes you are better off

Latest posts

Back