From 12/12 to 16/8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalikisu

Reaction score
Well guys and gals i got three little ones about 2 weeks old. They were started at 12/12 being i had two girls flowering. But old hermie came and knocked em up so they got chopped. Now what i want to know is this...can i put might lights back to 16/8 or more without any ill effects? This little ones are only about 2.5 inches tall and healthy looking. Please help me to decide on leaving 12/12 or giving more light time.:farm:

i would go to 24/0. the more light the better for vegging. changing the light schedule will stress out your plants, but they should adapt pretty quickly. once your're ready to start flowering go back to 12/12. i'm no pro but have done a lot of reading. maybe some more MPers can expound a little bit....?

yeah i dont want to stress them too much. Thats why i want to do a week at 16/8, a week at 18/6, then two weeks at 24/0. but hey IDK.

kalikisu said:
yeah i dont want to stress them too much. Thats why i want to do a week at 16/8, a week at 18/6, then two weeks at 24/0. but hey IDK.
i would just skip the 16/8 and give them 18/6 until they are ready to flower!:)

that sounds good will do tonight when lights come on.i just want to veg them for a while. my first grow i veged for 3 weeks, even though old hermie diddled my girls it still seems to be a cool haul for me. this time i want MORE! plus later this month im ordering a 400 hps cuz right now i got a lowly 70 watt hps and 8 30 watt cfl's. So i'm ready to upgrade since i know i can get them to grow ya know.

go to inside sun they got one for $99 with reflector.
hxxp://www.insidesun.com/index.php

just go to 18/6. night time is important for the plants. They actually grow faster at night, they just grow on stored nutrient reserves instead of producing those reserves like they do during the day.

NewbieG said:
just go to 18/6. night time is important for the plants. They actually grow faster at night, they just grow on stored nutrient reserves instead of producing those reserves like they do during the day.

Actually, there is really no proof that this is true. Whether to use a 24/7 or an 18/6 schedule is more a matter of personal preference. They may "appear" to grow more because they tend to stretch more with a dark period than on a 24/7 schedule. The only advantage I see for a dark period is letting the space cool off if you have a heat problem.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Actually, there is really no proof that this is true. Whether to use a 24/7 or an 18/6 schedule is more a matter of personal preference. They may "appear" to grow more because they tend to stretch more with a dark period than on a 24/7 schedule. The only advantage I see for a dark period is letting the space cool off if you have a heat problem.

I learned that at night, because they aren't photosynthesizing they grow faster, I've heard that growth is in root stock not in height of plant. Plus these plants have had day and night every 24 hours since the creation of earth... I know I wouldn't like it if I was constantly sleep deprived, so i won't do it to my plants. :p

i'm interested in these ideas. does anyone know of any studies or experiments between the two photoperiods?

thanks guy and gals your opinions and knowledge is valued. I still have not changed the photoperiod being it seems my other girl doesnt seem to be seeded. I would like to bring it all the way but if i find seeds down she comes. I got to say following the advice here i am happy with my modest results. I kinda hope to find seeds so i can kick my babies into full veg. Ether way i'm enjoying the grow.:watchplant:

From The Cannabis Grow Bible:

"Cannabis is a light demanding plant. Professional growers keep the light on their plants using the 24/0 photoperiod for this reason. Plants that grow under 24/0 flourish and do not need a quantity of darkness in order to rest and perform photosynthesis properly. Plants that are grown in optimal conditions under the 24/0 light regime grow vigorously and the benefits of a 24/0 photperiod can be seen in the results. More nodes are formed, more branches are created, leaf numbers increase, the plant is growing at its finest.

Some growers opt to use 18/6 as their photoperiod. This is an 18 hours of light, six hours of darkness light regime. Under these conditions the plant will grow quite naturally but not as vigorously as the 24/0 photperiod."

The Hemp Goddess said:
From The Cannabis Grow Bible:

"...Plants that are grown in optimal conditions under the 24/0 light regime grow vigorously and the benefits of a 24/0 photperiod can be seen in the results. More nodes are formed, more branches are created, leaf numbers increase, the plant is growing at its finest..."

THG-- This brought up something i was just recently thinking about. Does this mean that optimal strains would be those that will turn to flower with a slighter change in photoperiod? If one could veg at 24/0 and then go to 18/6 and get a plant to flower would it photosynthesize for longer throughout the day. I know there are strains like top 44 and auto strains that flower sooner throught the cycle, but are there any that flower with a nominally slight change in photoperiod? am i just describing the auto strains?

Cannabiscotti said:
THG-- This brought up something i was just recently thinking about. Does this mean that optimal strains would be those that will turn to flower with a slighter change in photoperiod? If one could veg at 24/0 and then go to 18/6 and get a plant to flower would it photosynthesize for longer throughout the day. I know there are strains like top 44 and auto strains that flower sooner throught the cycle, but are there any that flower with a nominally slight change in photoperiod? am i just describing the auto strains?

Yes, you are describing auto strains. :D

The Hemp Goddess said:

I agree THG,

there is little difference between 24/7 and 18/6 in terms of the finished plant and in fact in side by side field trials which included a photoperiod of 20/4,well it was 20/4 that came out on top in terms of yield but the differences were not huge.

To make a plant revert to veg its by far the best stimulus to put it on 24/7 and as soon as it starts growing,place on the veg light cycle of your choice.

Latest posts

Back