Glass between plant n light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

six_seven_one

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm having a small issue with heat.
During the day it gets to about 80. I know it aint that bad but I would like to drop it down a bit.

Would I be able to put a sheet of glass or maybe some plastic to get some heat away from my girls?

Thanx

i would say thats all dependin on if ya light hood is gonna make a tight seal wit the glass on or not an have air flowin thru it maybe...?
like the air cooled hoods.
but just simply placin a piece of glass between your girls an the light prolly wont do much good from the way im readin ya ..

wats ya ventillation consist of. intake/exhaust. ? any fans blowin on ya ladies as well??? maybe try tweekin all that a bit an you may see results that way too.

i took the glass out of my old lights b/c of too much heat :)

was urs an air cooled hood astro?

na, just some old outside hps lights. i now have a 1000 watt systme

^^ My HPS is an aircooled hood but not my MH.
So since the temps in my veg room aint so hot I was thinking to put a piece of glass about 1ft obive the plants to keep some heat away .

I only have one fan right now blowing in and I'm about to head out and grab another to blow some out.
So I was thinking since I was out to get a sheet of plexi glass or something similar.

Would glass restrict how much lumens the plants get?

Thanx

six_seven_one said:
So since the temps in my veg room aint so hot I was thinking to put a piece of glass about 1ft obive the plants to keep some heat away .

I only have one fan right now blowing in and I'm about to head out and grab another to blow some out.
So I was thinking since I was out to get a sheet of plexi glass or something similar.

Thanx

Yeah probably.

Long story short,,, your worrying bout a problem that dont exist.
I'd luv those temps and i in rainy cold england.

Roll one, chill back enjoy your good fortune :D :evil:

I would think so. I wouldn't do it. Fans are cheap, add another oscillating fan or preferably try to do something to improve exhaust and intake, but honestly, those temps are great.

six_seven_one said:

Thanx

Hi 671...

Do you run your plant's "day" cycle during the night when temps are lower outside? More fans should help. Plexiglass works well if you need some over your light. I use a 4 foot, 6 bulb T5 fluorescent fixture for a side fill light in a tight 2 x 4 x 8 closet. To keep my gals leaves from touching and frying the leaves I put a piece of clear plexiglass over the light and I didn't notice any loss in light. I wouldn't think you would lose any lumens over a MH either but you may trap the heat and cause it to build up more. I have some lights with air cooled hoods and they have glass over them. Even when you move air through the hoods they still build up heat inside the hood and the reflector becomes like a radiator radiating heat into the grow room. Your temps are pretty good and 80 isn't too bad but if you can bring it down even 3-4 degrees it will be ideal. Do you have a fan in the room that blows over the canopy? Fans might work better at moving the heat away from the light. If you get the fan you mentioned to exhaust some air out of there and maybe use more fans to keep the air from stratifying and getting as hot near the lights you should be able to bring down the temps a bit more.

Good Luck!:cool:

Thanx guys.

I just got another fan blowing out some of the hot air and the temps seem to be great..... About 77

Laterz

Latest posts

Back