good bulb?>

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcolvv89

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have so far one plant growing, and hoping for more...

So far that one plant sits in my window sill and want to bring it in...But don't know what is a good bulb to use..

I was hoping you guys can tell me what are some good bulbs to use for my plant and soon to be plants... Also please list bulbs that can be purchased at home-depot or wal-mart

Go to walmart and get some compact fluorescents. Make sure to get the ones that say 6500k for veg and 2100k for flower. Good luck.

How many should I get? Possibly going in a box this size 30" long
almost 1' wide
and 28" high

well, your grow area is about 3' square, so you need at least 15,000 lumens worth to get a halfway decent yield. Look at the packages when you buy the bulbs. They might tell you how many lumens. If not, I suggest you use at least 50 watts per square foot. Probabably closer to 75 with CFL. Make sure it is actual watts and not equivlent. Many CFLs package themselves as same as "60 watts" which means they are not actually 60 watts! Now, that many CFLs will get hot, no matter what people tell you. in fact, that many CFLs, you'd prbably be better off getting a low wattage HPS. I have a 150 watt HPS and it is actually cooler than the same amount of lumens worth of CFLs. And truth to tell, not really any more expensive!

bombbudpuffa you think I should go for the HPS?? or get the CFL's?

jcolvv89 said:
also what watt HPS should I get???

Well, in your space a 150 watt HPS will suffice. Of course, since your space is more long than square, you might have problems with light reaching the other edges. If you can make your grow space more square, you'll be better off I suspect. You might need to get some CFLs for the edges. Or you could go with two 75 watt HPS, but I don't know how easy those are to find in "plug and play."

ok thanks bombbudpuffa...

And I'm possibly not using the shelf that was that size...planing on making something else...

What are some good demensions of a grow room? A decent size one?

depends on the number of plants you want to grow. A general rule is one plant per square foot. Or if you do a Sea of Grean (SOG) 4 per square foot. I guess it also depends on how much you want to spend on lights.

Latest posts

Back