Grams per Day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonardo De Garden

Reaction score
To calculate is Grams Per Day (GPD). Subtract the planting date from the start date to find the total number of days grown. Then take the weight of harvest, and divide by the number of days grown, to find out how much was produced each day. Calculating the GPD for each harvest will allow a comparison of the success of different grows even if the number of days for each is different.

Kinda a worthless number I would say. since a plant don't truly start putting on weight til the buds start developing

:welcome: To MP:48:

Not a worthless number at all, can use it to find out how effiecent your garden is, and whether a change has a positive or negative effect on harvest.

MJ plants put on most of their weight during flowering, so your numbers would not be the same in the the first weeks of growth as the last weeks of flowering. You can't use mathematics to grow there are too many variables

The numbers are calculated after harvest, to rate the efficiency of the grow, which can then be compared to other grows meaningfully.

in a business setting efficiency is rule #1. i could see how this info could be useful for some of us. if you have to make a quota in a given set period of time, then this calculation would be very useful when revising your technique. for those of us that aren't in it for the money. its not so much about how much weight we can pump out in a given amount of time, and more about growing the dankest of the dank. regardless of the overall weight

If I am considering a new technique or product, I want to know if I'm actually getting something out of using it. This is one way to find out. Or if I want to compare the yield of one plant vs another.

If the quality of smoke is the same between two plants, pick the one that did better for breeding. There are more than just commercial applications for the calculation.

ozzydiodude said:
MJ plants put on most of their weight during flowering, so your numbers would not be the same in the the first weeks of growth as the last weeks of flowering. You can't use mathematics to grow there are too many variables

:yeahthat:

Just to many variables, from container size to temps. Some you have control over, some you do not.

I just grows it kills it drys it jams it in me pipe and smokes it

grows+kills+drys+jams=:fly:
Math comp[lete ;)

BWD

Doesn't seem to be a thing I'm worrying about and as duck said, there's way too many variables.

And what factor adjusts the term of growth against the strain and its maturity curve? Your 'GPD' would be unnaturally skewed for indica and auto strains and has no relationship to the quality or to the true value.

Other factors would also skew the result. Quality of trim of final product, any derivatives (like bubble hash), height vs required surface area, etc.

A 'GPD' would offer only a tiny hobby yardstick and would not offer any sort of comparable basis in reality. A pound of crap hemp grown in 60 days would appear to be gold compared to a pound of 180-day sativa.

also some people grow under t5's or l.e.d or just enough hps per room & some use tripple hps what others use. 1 issue in the grow will effect the #s or weight. also some veg with 1000w mh compared to led/t5 that will effect the grow#'s

Opinions respectfully noted, so if you don't track production rate, how do you know if a new additive or change has improved or hurt your garden over your last grow? Say a 16 plant 120 day grow vs a 23 plant 90 day grow.

I dont worry bout it at all pilgrem. As long as I keep growin, my skills and me end product only gets better and thats all that matters. Learnin from mistakes only improves my smoke and like I saisd before I only grows me needs and thats all I need. Good luck yur trails walkin friend hope they take you to places looked for.

BWD

Leonardo De Garden said:
Opinions respectfully noted, so if you don't track production rate, how do you know if a new additive or change has improved or hurt your garden over your last grow? Say a 16 plant 120 day grow vs a 23 plant 90 day grow.

Most do it by finished grams per watt:hubba:

Leonardo De Garden said:

How do you know the light issue you had a week into budding didn't drop your GDP? how do you know your running out of nutes and letting the gals wait a few days for feeding didn't lessen the numbers? How about a heat wave, cold wave, fan broke? Soooo many things can go into a grow, figuring out what helped and what didn't would be very hard....unless you have a 100% dialed in and stabilized room that has proven it's production several times over.....AND you're running the same strain from the same mother?

this, of course, is MHO and I will add that, if you are worried about gram count, you're probably either not producing enough or are in it for the money? I stopped counting grams long ago, I guesstimate from time to time for fun, but actual numbers mean little besides the number of jars filled. It also appears you're judging different strains and grow times and thinking your numbers will show something....I can't figure what except it will say different strains produce different amounts? Comparing those numbers would only confuse things imho....but I've gone straight from bed to a wake-n-bake, so I could be :confused2: not uncommon....lol

This idea might have some value for comparing factors such as vegging time for a given strain . . . i.e. . . is that extra 2 or 3 weeks of veg time paying off in a proportionally larger yield, or would you do better fitting 2 smaller, shorter veg plants into the spot of the larger, longer veg one ??

Leonardo De Garden said:

I use grams per square foot, Ive only got so big of an area, no matter the plant count.
So whatever produces more in the same or shorter time is always most efficient.

BackWoodsDrifter said:
I dont worry bout it at all pilgrem. As long as I keep growin, my skills and me end product only gets better and thats all that matters. Learnin from mistakes only improves my smoke and like I saisd before I only grows me needs and thats all I need. Good luck yur trails walkin friend hope they take you to places looked for.

BWD

Fair enough Backwoods, as long as people are learning and getting better, no way to argue with that. Much like my namesake might, I tend to garden on the scientific side, but regardless of the method, I agree, at the end of the day the smoke in your bowl is all that counts.

pcduck said:
Most do it by finished grams per watt:hubba:

Ha, this all started over a discussion about why grams per day (GPD) is better than grams per watt as a measure of efficiency. From the amount produced each day you can then calculate how many watts per day you are spending, but grams per watt without a time frame isn't a useful comparision.

I in no way mean to suggest it should be the only gauge used, but it is a much more mathematically sound method than the more common if vague grams per watt.

Latest posts

Back