Has ne of yall worked construction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been makin sawdust since i was knee high to a grasshopper. this economy is showin its ugly head at our end of the business. companies droppin like flies. I still got food on my table and power keeping my HID on...but it is slim pickens out there. hope something turns around.

i've been in construction for 16 years, running heavy equipment for my dad. we do residential and commercial work, but right now we do have any of either to do. i haven't worked but maybe two weeks since may of last year. we have a job coming up but it won't last but a few weeks. hey its better than nothing.. we keep hearing about all this money that our new pres, is going to use to help get things going again.. but i don't think its gonna help us. its all infustructure work that in my state will be done by the state not independant contractors. maybe in a few years things will pick up but i don't see it happening anytime soon.

Mutt, i hear you man. lumber companies around here are droppin fast, can't get money owed by builders because the banks are callin all the loans in or aleast wanting people to come up with more money to keep thier loans going. its a bad cycle were in.. we cut alot of logs but now we can't make anything off them at the saw mills because no ones buying lumber.

to everyone havin a hard time, good luck. you are not alone. theres hundreds of thousands of people just like us. things will get better. its just a matter of time.

Im headed outta town to work Wen. Morning. New Orleans,,:eek: Be gone 2 or 3 weeks.Crime,Crime,Crime, thats all I gotta say. Looks like a freaken war zone down there.
I work there 2 weeks and home 2 weeks,,,,WHEN,,there is work. Wens. will be the 1st time back to work in 1.5 months. Like I said,,Feast or Famon. :ignore: Wify will take care of the Girls.:rolleyes:

I don't know about where you guys live, but around here the inventory of finished new construction is crazy. 'They' are saying we've got around 2 years of brand new homes on the market right now without building anything... And that's not counting all the foreclosures hitting the market at a record pace also. How can a builder compete?
There's a house for sale in our neighborhood that I've seen the sale price drop over $100,000 in just under a year. And I don't see anybody looking at it. Scary for sure.

Yep..I lease a 2007,,2700sf Stucco Home for 1100.00 per month.The guy that owns it paid 337,000.00 for it,,now you can build the same house for 200,000.00,,same freaken builder.:rolleyes:

CowboyBudsky said:
Im headed outta town to work Wen. Morning. New Orleans,,:eek: Be gone 2 or 3 weeks.Crime,Crime,Crime, thats all I gotta say. Looks like a freaken war zone down there.
I work there 2 weeks and home 2 weeks,,,,WHEN,,there is work. Wens. will be the 1st time back to work in 1.5 months. Like I said,,Feast or Famon. :ignore: Wify will take care of the Girls.:rolleyes:

Cowboy...you tell wifey where we are just in case she needs a bit help with your ladies..you go make what you can.:cool:

Old Bud...I smoke all day everyday when needed..That fella is right..I couldnt function without being medicated..now i dont go getting ripped but a toke here and there gets me threw my stressfull days..and Lately I been smokeing more:rolleyes: :cool: :D

Mutt...it sure is slim pickins...its hard to see some good friends haveing hard time..It looks like this summer I will be down to 3 days a week..which isnt a bad thing..i can spend more time with you guys/gals:hubba: but its scary out there..everyday need people comeing on site looking for work..Famly men...like you and me..not the illeagle aliens.. and have to tell them no we dont have anything...It tough:confused: need to smoke my bong now..

Thanks 4u2smoke,, She will be calling me daily Im sure.:D
Yeah,,things are tough,,very scary. I have PPL calling me from all over looking for work. Me and my Business Partner are both in our 50's,,doing what work we have the by ourselfs.
We work just like we did when we were in our 30's. Sad, but thats they way it goes in Constuction. Im gonna have to move somewhere where I can grow for a living,,Im getting to old for this ****.:D

Yeah I had an old boss come to me asking for work..talk about a wierd feeling. I told him when something comes a long i'd call him...but right now. its me n my family first. rest has to find there own way. But at least i got some work. bottom barrel stuff compared to what I'm used to doing (type of jobs I'd normally walk away from) I'm taking them as soon as I'm asked. Sucks...

The same goes with house painters, it seems like they all drink budwiser!!!!!!!! Haha.

jmathews said:
The same goes with house painters, it seems like they all drink budwiser!!!!!!!! Haha.

Miller Lite :ignore:

I started in Construction when I was 17 years old. I started pouring sump walls then some framing. but most of my construction was Drywall (9 years) I got out like some have said to many up and downs. I miss working outside but don't miss the cold or extreme hot days. I went into IT about 12 years ago.

i paint everyday from residential to comercial and cultured stone and a lil brick on the side. i want to have my own biz one day. construction is bout all i've ever known.

have been an industrial pipe fitter for 15 yrs at oil refineries, food processing plants, power plants and ethanol plants use to walk out and drag my job box at a whim some one always paid a little more and/or better per diem or just didnt like the boss heck even the weather was a reason to drag... work was every where nothing to worry about..... LOL LOL untill now, the crap you have to do to keep a good job now like putting up with this these young bosses that should still be in diapers but because daddy"s a general foreman GOD the things you have to put up with,,,be so glad when things pick back up so i can tell them J/A'ss to drag my box :lama: :bolt: and by the way yes im a weed head and so is almost every body i know or have worked with or worse. and all the refineries are still standing and gas is being made :D :hubba:

ive done every major constrution feild there is in home conn from digging out the foundation , to plumbing ,framing , bricking ,roofing, and oh yes my fav Sheetrock whew... any 1 need a house built or perhaps a very kool lil shed out back (wink wink nudge nudge)

thank Whoever for commercial electrical service work. If i was still doing construction, i'd be hard up for work.

after the military in 1988 I joined the manufacturing circus. I have great respect for peeps that make electricity(ouch),plumbing(leaks), carpentry(inches off,nail it) look so damn easy.What I am really happy about is the tone of the entire post about the economy. I am so worried that peeps will not give stimulus time to work.I pray that all board members are blessed with appropriate work.:D

Latest posts

Back