Heat from a Ballest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyinghigh

Grow Pretty Flowers
Reaction score
Ok I am ready to hook up my 1000 watt and wanting to know how Much Heat does a 1000 watt Grow Bright ballest put off.?

how much heat does the light put off.?

I am not for sure where I want to put the ballest at, Inside or outside of the grow box do to heat and it still alittle warm at night and my room temp when the light comes on at night is around 85 and 72 when light goes off in the morning and that with my 400 watt Hps.

I know when winter comes the ballest is going inside the grow room to help heat the room at night.. only grow at night Cooler..

If those are your 400 watt temps, you may want to add an ac when you flip on the 1000 watt. I would have my ballast on the outside of the grow room. 1000 watters are quite hot and a lot hotter than 400 watts

Thanks Pcduck.!
That what I'll do is put on the outside of room and when winter comes it can go inside for heat..

How much heat will the Bulb put off.?
How high should be the light because I DON'T have anymore room to move the shield up.?

My 400 watt ballest don't feel Hot at all because of the cooler is blowing that way. No not right on it I have the cooler about 10 feet away that the air is being pushed through a 6 inch tube into the room..
Here some pix

1. ballest

2. here my New hood 46x46 going to roll the edges over.. Which will be used after this grow, I am getting it ready early.

3. only have about 16 inches from bulb to plants. I can move the plants around so NO branches wil be right under the bulb or close..

7-29 002.jpg

7-29 001.jpg

7-29 004.jpg

Hey whats up? I know that The Hemp Goddess has a thread with a diy cool tube on it, It might be worth checkin out for ya.Anyway if you can enclose the bottom of your hood with glass and attach a six inch inline fan to the hood to exhaust the hot air, i've HEARD your plants can grow to touch the glass and they won't burn. Good luck

dirk2420 said:
Hey whats up? I know that The Hemp Goddess has a thread with a diy cool tube on it, It might be worth checkin out for ya.Anyway if you can enclose the bottom of your hood with glass and attach a six inch inline fan to the hood to exhaust the hot air, i've HEARD your plants can grow to touch the glass and they won't burn. Good luck

No way can I add a glass to this new hood, but I might be able to, to my other hood but that glass would be heavy so that might Not work because that hood that u see in the pix is 3x3 and has No edge to hold the glass in..Home made
I keep my door open at night while the cooler is running in the shed and all windows are covered and the main door is shut up tight so the air can move around better and out the 5 inch chimney that goes outside..

I don't really think you have enough room for a 1000 watter if you only have 16" of plant space. That will most likely be the distance you will need all the time in order not to smoke your plants. I am not sure of the exact temp that a 1000 watter puts out but lets put it this way...If you touch your ear to a 1000 watter even for a millisecond you have a real bad burn on your ear:aok: I know this from past experience.:laugh:

Thanks and I have room to move the plants around, and there about 6 foot tall right now, that had been tied over and each branch had to be tied and I won't do that again and top them next time..

OUCH.!!! Didn't feel the heat as your ear is getting closer.? Must of been winter time.:hubba:

I remember that Pcduck burnt his ear Badly..:eek::D

Latest posts

Back