Hello from sunny florida

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Reaction score
Im new here just want to learn how to grow good bud. I grow outdoors in pots .I was thinking of getting smart pots this year but un sure what size to get. What are you guys using as far as pots and size .Thank you

good morning and welcome jeff,,,,,I cant help ya as I grow inside ,,,not to worry a lot of good people here who grow outside that will help you,,,,,,im about 20 miles north of tampa

Welcome Jeff!
Glad you found us! Lots of knowledgeable and help full ppl here.
Smart pots? YES! Outdoors? Use BIG pots. I use 7gal indoors. If I was gonna use pots outside I'd go a MINIMUM of 10gal. for smallish plants. 4' or less.
25gal. Would be Much better.
This is assuming you are using a good organic soil not soilless medium.
The smart pots are the best containers I've found to grow in.
Most of my outdoor growing is done in the ground tho.

Good morning ziggy and thank you . im about 20 miles north of orlando

Thanks gloman . I cant grow in ground soil is all sand and even if i could the plants would get to tall .Plus i need to move them around. 25 gallon might be to heavy to move im thinkin .But then again i want the best for my girls .I just need to make a decision lol

Hi Jeff, it's like they always say, bigger is truly better ..... Sassy

Welcome to our MP. So glad you are here. You are right you can't move a full of soil 25 gallon smart pot. We use a hand truck. I have used ten gallon od and i feel they are too small. Love me some smart pots.

Every year I go to larger pots. This year, I am going to be using 50 gal and 80 gal fabric pots. I can say though that I have gotten nice plants from 25 and 30 gal pots. I would not go smaller than this though.

Putting them in fabric pots instead of in the ground is not going to make them any shorter--in fact, as they are planted above ground it will make them taller. For instance, a 6' plant planted in the ground is 6' tall. A plant that is 6' tall planted in a 25 or 30 gal smart pot is going to be about 7-/12 to 8' above the ground.

Why are you going to be moving them around? While I found that 2 of us could move a 25 gal pot around, it is probably not advisable unless it is really necessary.

Welcome to the best growing forum ever Jeff!
I grew outside last year with 20 gallon fabric pots. This year I am thinking of growing in 30 gallon fabric pots.
Good karma to yopu and your grows. :D

Every year I go to larger pots. This year, I am going to be using 50 gal and 80 gal fabric pots. I can say though that I have gotten nice plants from 25 and 30 gal pots. I would not go smaller than this though.

Putting them in fabric pots instead of in the ground is not going to make them any shorter--in fact, as they are planted above ground it will make them taller. For instance, a 6' plant planted in the ground is 6' tall. A plant that is 6' tall planted in a 25 or 30 gal smart pot is going to be about 7-/12 to 8' above the ground.

Why are you going to be moving them around? While I found that 2 of us could move a 25 gal pot around, it is probably not advisable unless it is really necessary.
Its kinda the situation im in they will be on my pool deck and some times i got to move them out of sight. And i need to keep them short and i thought bigger the pot taller the plant.

Welcome to the best growing forum ever Jeff!
I grew outside last year with 20 gallon fabric pots. This year I am thinking of growing in 30 gallon fabric pots.
Good karma to yopu and your grows. :D
Thanks burnin1

Welcome to our MP. So glad you are here. You are right you can't move a full of soil 25 gallon smart pot. We use a hand truck. I have used ten gallon od and i feel they are too small. Love me some smart pots.
Thanks Rosebud last year i used 15 gallon plastic pots and i think it was to hot for the plants they turned out great but they could of bin better so im thinking 20 gal smart pot so they can breath

Welcome Jeff...The fun of setting up...thrilling! I am a indoor farmer 5x5 grow area....I use 5-7 gallon fabric pots. I get great results...keep myself and a few friends very happy. With the room you have I would jump to a larger size...what ever you can handle easy.

Latest posts

Back