Hello from the Hoosier

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtyme

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was referred here by a D-I-Y DWC hydro video.

While medicinal is not legal here in Indiana, I am going to take my chance & grow for personal medicinal reasons. Having a history of anxiety & stress disorders I want a break from the 'zombie-like' state that the 'legal' prescriptions do to me.

I've been doing my homework, reading up on different strains (that are good for my problem), grow methods, etc. The only part that worries me so far is the nutrients....but that's why I'm here. I'm sure I'll pick up a lot more info along the way as well.

Off to the forums.

welcome to the site. I have not been here that long as a contributor but pretty much 99% of the things I have learned I have learend here.

Nutes are a complicated issue. I would decide first how I want to grow; soil or hydro. Then I would decide if I wanted to grow organically or not. Once those two decisions are made it will help you decide what nutes to use.

as a first time grower i would really recomend soil. It is much more forgiving in my opinion.

I definitely want to do the hydro unit I saw. It's very inexpensive & judging from the plants appearance in the video they seem to do a lot better than soil.
(did I mention this isn't my first time, but I only do 1 plant & 1 clone at a time)(in soil)

Problem is.... the bud is actually TOO good. I'm looking for a different kind of "high" (no idea what I have... it smells like lemons). It actually worsens my anxiety. (it's probably just mental)

Sad to say but I haven't smoked in months : ( But I love to grow.. : )

soil versus hydro will not produce better bud. Hydro can produce a % more bud per plant.

DWC is the only hydro method I have ever grown (did for a couple years). I used the General Hydroponis series of nutes and they worked well for me in DWC and in soil. If you look at the first post in my journal (link in signature), you can see every nute I used/use.

What is the unit you want to use for DWC? If you copy and paste the link here, and remove the tt from http and replace it with xx, we can go check it out.

hxxp://vodpod.com/watch/673156-do-it-yourself-hydroponics-system

Seemed simple & cheap enough. Probably looking @ $80-$100 (biggest cost is the air pumps)
I am planning on 4 baskets w/ two dual-output air pumps.

get a good air pump not one of the cheap walmart or petworld ones. The bigger air pump work alot better

Welcome to MP....I think GH flora 3 part wld take good care of you as far as nutes go.

:welcome: I'm a GH Flora series guy also and I can say GH makes amateurs into pros in a hurry!!

I also use GH Flora series of nutes. You may also need to pick up some Cal-Mag. Running DWC you are going to need a pH meter and some pH up and/or down. PH is much more critical in hydro than it is in soil.

There are some strains that can cause/raise anxiety in some--C99 comes to mind. I doesn't necessarily mean that it is too good, just that it is not the right strain or your condition. I would recommend checking out some of Mandala's strains.

Thanks everyone for the "Welcomes"
I have read good reviews on GH Flora's from doing my homework so that's the way I'm aiming. Luckily we have a friendly nursery locally who carries a lot of good supplies.
Thanks HG for the recommendations. I ll look into the Cal-Mag when I am there along w/ a pH & TDS meter.
As for strain..... I was *(well will be) lucky enough to find some friendly Master Kush clones. I've read any of the "Kush"es are good for my problem.

Oldtyme said:
Thanks everyone for the "Welcomes"
I have read good reviews on GH Flora's from doing my homework so that's the way I'm aiming. Luckily we have a friendly nursery locally who carries a lot of good supplies.
Thanks HG for the recommendations. I ll look into the Cal-Mag when I am there along w/ a pH & TDS meter.
As for strain..... I was *(well will be) lucky enough to find some friendly Master Kush clones. I've read any of the "Kush"es are good for my problem.

Excellent, best of luck to you! Always remember, micronutrient first ;)

Latest posts

Back