Help request. Unhealthy first ever grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its probably from residual nutrients in your roots and hydroton... I wouldnt leave plain water in there for more than a few days, if your PH isnt stable and jumping all over then change out the res now..... Also remember the plant isnt going to repair the damaged growth, it will grow new healthy leaves and the damaged leaves will die off..

ok. im gonna work on the new res with nutes tomorrow. thanks for the help. if i dont see new healthy growth. instead of new unhealthy growth, in 2-3 wks im gonna yank her an redo the grow space and start from scratch.

Not to confuse the subject, but if you have nute lock out these best cure is to flush the plant with flora-kleen to allow uptake to resume. I think the frequent adjustment of your nute levels may be a problem as well.

I never use ph up (liquid). If I go a little overboard with ph down, I simply add regular water to bring the level back up. a range of 5.5 - 5.9 has been very successful for me, and since I change the rez once a week, I rarely ever adjust ph once the mix is where I want it.

You may want to try liquid nutes, like GH 3-part and just stay on the feeding schedule religiously. With the liquid, it is far easier to accurately measure the dosage. I have gotten to the point where I don't even need to check ppm once I know the baseline of my water. Remember that if the schedule calls for 500 ppm and your water is 100 ppm, the right number for that weeks dosage is 600. GH charts just assume all water is neutral with respect to ppm. Some folks swear by the ppm meter and do fine too, but I have always had great results just sticking with the quantities the chart calls for. Your ppm probably rises because the powdered nutes are incompletely mixed at the outset and aren't becoming fully dissolved until the airstone kicks in to finish the job.

Lastly, it might be better to let your mix alone once you do a res change. Constant adjustment may be impacting your plant. It is really hard to be patient, but unless your ph really spikes, just go with the flow. Think about how you might feel if someone kept manipulating your environment daily. Plants are people too!!!

scatking said:
You may want to try liquid nutes, like GH 3-part and just stay on the feeding schedule religiously. With the liquid, it is far easier to accurately measure the dosage. I have gotten to the point where I don't even need to check ppm once I know the baseline of my water. Remember that if the schedule calls for 500 ppm and your water is 100 ppm, the right number for that weeks dosage is 600. GH charts just assume all water is neutral with respect to ppm. Some folks swear by the ppm meter and do fine too, but I have always had great results just sticking with the quantities the chart calls for. Your ppm probably rises because the powdered nutes are incompletely mixed at the outset and aren't becoming fully dissolved until the airstone kicks in to finish the job.

Lastly, it might be better to let your mix alone once you do a res change. Constant adjustment may be impacting your plant. It is really hard to be patient, but unless your ph really spikes, just go with the flow. Think about how you might feel if someone kept manipulating your environment daily. Plants are people too!!!

he's using flora nova grow...that's a liquid nute from GH. he's using RO water, his PPM starting off should be close to zero

tbomun: have you tried following the feeding schedule at generalhydroponics.com ? i would give them 2.5 ml of floranova grow per gallon of RO water. none of that other stuff just yet. adjust the pH of that to 5.8 and then top off your rez with plain RO water and adjust your pH to 5.8 daily. you look to have a decent size root system and it should handle nutes just fine.

i have noticed with my grows that the pH will rise quickly when I am not giving them enough nutes, but if you adjust daily then it's all good.

after 10-14 days of that, i would kick it up to 5 ml of floranova grow and 0.5 ml of florolicious plus per gallon of RO water.

this way you'll gradually step up the nutes. this is just following the recirculating schedule that GH recommends.

of course this is just MHO. :) good luck and happy growing.

scatking said:
Not to confuse the subject, but if you have nute lock out these best cure is to flush the plant with flora-kleen to allow uptake to resume. I think the frequent adjustment of your nute levels may be a problem as well.

I never use ph up (liquid). If I go a little overboard with ph down, I simply add regular water to bring the level back up. a range of 5.5 - 5.9 has been very successful for me, and since I change the rez once a week, I rarely ever adjust ph once the mix is where I want it.

How much you PH adjust all depends on water and nutes.. If I mixed my nutes the PH would be 5.2 when done mixing, now at this point if I add more water then Im diluting the mix and not reaching my desired PPM..

I adjust my PH daily, it hasnt been an issue of too much adjustment.. Instead Im keeping my nutrients in the optimal range so the plants can absorb more.

thanks for all the INFO! i was following the GH nute calc. on their site. but i think i boned the pH for like first 2wks. i was keeping it at 5.4 for some newbie reason. and the nutes were super high for one of those weeks. i switched out the res with reduced nutes. raised her up closer to the light. she was about 2 ft from the hps. moved her up to ft away. she started to get ugly, switched out water with less nutes still. she got worse...

still looks bad, more brown crispy leaves. pH hovers between 5.8-6.4. res temp 68-69. air 72-76, humidity 40%. ppm around 300ish. im thinking just throw in the towel, lick my wounds, learn and redo my grow space. im in a stupid cab atm. looking at getting a tent.

tent i want or looking at is Secret Jardin 100L. 39.6"x39.6"x72" is 400w hps enough for that size tent?

ok so been a long while. this plant never got better so arnd feb. 7th i literally ripped her out of the tub. roots ripping sound was ugly :( i decided to plant it in the backyard for shits an giggles. although my expectations were very low because of the poor shape she was in and the damage from removing her.

well just proves im a terrible grower, look at what mother nature made of her. id say shes a month or two away from being rdy, poor girl has had it rough but is coming along still. shes a fighter!

25pgtg6.jpg

Don't feel bad at all, my best grows are done outside when mother nature takes care of them for me. I always have little issues indoors for one reason or another and I have grown quite a bit of weed. She looks great. Good call on putting her outside, instead of having no herb you will be smoking her ;)

Latest posts

Back