Hermaphrodism

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Pot Belly. I think we are clear. By the way, I just happened across today a 1 gram packet of gibberellic acid for 7 bucks. I picked it up to experiment with it a little bit later on :hubba:

Elephant Man said:
While on the topic of 'good breeding practices' always disclose any possible 'hermie action' before handing out seeds.
:yeahthat: :goodposting:

Pot Belly said:
Now for the million dollar question: Is there a true male? One that wouldn't herm and throw out pistillate flowers when under the same flowering stress?

If so, would the seeds from these two true sex parents not have the propensity to herm?

More thoughts on this, I think it is a great subject :D

I think this would depend on if the male hermie trait is the same mechanism as the female one, a shared characteristic across the sexes. Assuming it is, you would have a pure line with no hermies. However, in the context of the quest for feminized seeds, you still require chemical manipulation of the female to create "female" pollen. The benefit is that you don't have to stress your potential mothers to weed out the hermies, you can skip that step all together.

Well an update on the mad scientist experiment and the hermie. She was doing very good and not throwing out any visual staminate flowers until a thorough inspection showed a big fat batch of those male flowers. :shocked: They were under a big fat flowering bud hidden. A little push with my finger and a cloud of pollen spewed from the male cluster.

That whole bud is seeded - infected by her or 'its' own male product. Ugghhh! It really is a feeling of invasion when one of your girls pops out a male cluster. And this was an experiment on a known hermie mother.:p

OK - I get it. I'm done with figuring out hermies. But I had to do it.....:ignore: I finally understand what the deal is with them. They are outta here. Audios!

Thanks to all who helped and added input on this thread.;) I hope it helped some understand about hermies and how or what they are.

PB:)

Latest posts

Back