Hi, I'm poopsie! And I have a question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopsie

Reaction score
Hi, everybody! I am a first time grower. I almost wouldn't even call myself a grower, because really I just happened to have had a seed, and decided to sprout it. I've had this plant growing in my window with other house plants, and now it seems to have possibly sexed. From the research I've done online I think it *could* be a girly girl, but I'd like an expert's opinion.

All of these pictures are of the same plant. Can you tell what it is?

Thank you!!!

IMG_1784a.jpg

IMG_1786a.jpg

IMG_1790a.jpg

My Friend, from what I can see and from my experience, this one is too early to call. The pictures do not hold a clear indication for male pollen sacs or a calyx with a pistol pertruding. But I would like to give you props for haveing good depth of field with your digi camera. It takes about two weeks for sex to really show. Start watching the weather channel and look for the sunrise and sunset times if your letting nature take its course. And in this case, hope for shorter days. Good luck and good job keeping this one healthy.

kubefuism said:
My Friend, from what I can see and from my experience, this one is too early to call. The pictures do not hold a clear indication for male pollen sacs or a calyx with a pistol pertruding. But I would like to give you props for haveing good depth of field with your digi camera. It takes about two weeks for sex to really show. Start watching the weather channel and look for the sunrise and sunset times if your letting nature take its course. And in this case, hope for shorter days. Good luck and good job keeping this one healthy.
Thanks for the fast reply! I was planning on just letting nature run its course, since it's near fall, which is when plants naturally flower outdoors, but then I started reading through the board and people were talking about not letting it overmature or the plant would be less potent, so I figured I'd ask. The plant is about 20 inches tall, which sounds about when serious growers say last chance to flower. Anyway, I don't want to ramble since I barely know anything about the process, but if you say it's too early to say, I'll just let it be.

No sweat. But what you heard was right. When the plant buds it has a window of peakness just like any fruit bearing plant does. The best way to determine peak maturity is by the trichomes. Search the forums for pics and explantions. There is another way if you don'e want to invest in a pocket microscope (but I totaly suggest you do it, its like 20 bucks at radioshack and its awesome), it called diminishing return. Read up on that too. Since you are letting sunlight mature your plant you won't really know when the gene of flowering has really kicked in. Just be patient with it and you will have a very clear answer the longer you wait. You will see buds quite clearly when its in flower if female. Then you start to worry about the crystals you see on the plant to determine when to chop. And real quick. just looking at your last post about having seeds. If you only have one plant, you won't have any seeds male or female. It takes two to tango...... Unless its a hermie. So good luck and keep us posted

IMO I thought I saw hairs in pic#2 but I could be wrong, but it does look like a fem if u ask me. Now it's the waiting game to watch the plant fully express gender.Good luck, friend.

kubefuism said:
No sweat. But what you heard was right. When the plant buds it has a window of peakness just like any fruit bearing plant does. The best way to determine peak maturity is by the trichomes. Search the forums for pics and explantions. There is another way if you don'e want to invest in a pocket microscope (but I totaly suggest you do it, its like 20 bucks at radioshack and its awesome), it called diminishing return. Read up on that too. Since you are letting sunlight mature your plant you won't really know when the gene of flowering has really kicked in. Just be patient with it and you will have a very clear answer the longer you wait. You will see buds quite clearly when its in flower if female. Then you start to worry about the crystals you see on the plant to determine when to chop. And real quick. just looking at your last post about having seeds. If you only have one plant, you won't have any seeds male or female. It takes two to tango...... Unless its a hermie. So good luck and keep us posted
OKAY, so I guess I am worrying prematurely, because I don't have any buds. The reason I got confused is because, as you can see in the first photo, there is what appears to be a dark orange pistil on one of the stems. Thank you SO MUCH for that explanation and for pointing me in the right direction. I've been reading up on trichomes and diminishing return AND looking at people's journals, and I will definitely get a magnifying glass if my plant buds.

Oh, and I actually meant that I had some extra seeds in a jar. I can see how I made that unclear.

7greeneyes said:
IMO I thought I saw hairs in pic#2 but I could be wrong, but it does look like a fem if u ask me. Now it's the waiting game to watch the plant fully express gender.Good luck, friend.

Hairs like trichomes (my new word!) or hairs like pistils? I was staring at those earlier too, wondering if they were fuzzy or not, and with the naked eye...eh, I really can't tell. Maybe I should get a magnifying glass now.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I hope you're right!!

From picture 1 and 2 I cannot tell. However, by looking at picture 3 IMO I think the plant is female. :D

I have a question for anyone who can help....Ive had seeds in wet paper towel for 4 days then after i saw the root pop outa the seed I planted it....But its been about four days and still not sprout. Is this normal or could I possibly be doing something wrong?

what did you plant them in????? some times it takes awhile but if nothing after 2 weeks i would sprout some more..... you didnt touch the tap root did you????

welcome to mp. i wouldn't worry to much about sexing it. if its the only plant you have growing its not gonna hurt anything to wait untill you know with out a doubt what it is. plus your learning so even if its male its not a loss. good luck

Thanks, Hick! I already saw that sex ed thread, which made me hopeful that my plant was a girl, since it seems to look more like the female picks, but I'll keep waiting.

And thanks for the harvesting thread. I saw on there that I need to buy a 30x magnifier. I was thinking of a 3x magnifying glass. I totally would have bought the wrong thing!

Thanks to everybody for your responses and support! Looking at everyone's success in growing on the board today has got me excited, and now I really want to be able to harvest my own bud. I'll keep you posted on developments, but I hope everyone that thinks it's a girl is right!!

Welcome to the site, this place is great. Looks like you have a beautiful plant. And, like slowmo says, even if it is a male you are learning. To me pic number one looks female, and looking at the alternating nodes on the stalk, she looks like she will be flowering soon. Good Luck with her, keep us updated.
Again, welcome...

Latest posts

Back