Home of the Old Fart's Club part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Handy set up you have there umbra! Brings back old memories.
Looks like you didn't need to use very much D.E. or Norit. I was thinking it would take a lot more to clean up the trash.
This opens up a whole new level of quality from scraps.
Thanks bro!
Keef
Yes a vacume cleaner works well for ghetto lab setups but one thing you Must include is a way of reducing the pull of the vac. like a vent valve in the vac hose.
Too much pull can defeat the filtering medium.

Yep Gloman - I can vent it !-- I like Umbra's vacuum pump -- Looks like the one we used in the hospital back in the day !-- I'd recommend a moisture trap (little thump keg) -- Between the work and the pump -- U don't want to suck stuff into the pump !
Triple digits and heat advisory again today -I think this is nature's way of saying "Keef U need to be somewhere else" !

I made a mess !-- Don't know how to fix it !
20180725_083806.jpg
20180725_083836.jpg
20180725_084000.jpg

Good morning all,
Hot in the hood this morning, not really but 60 for a low is a little worrisome. Heading for 103. I am afraid to jinx this, but so far my outdoor looks awesome.
RE, i need to take out the bed in our guest room and fill it with Lush Lights and grow some CBD!!!! In fact I think i should make this whole house a grow.
Hey Umbra, did you get your lemon to clone? i started 3 and got one. She has some big leaves out in the garden. I flipped mine in the house last week.

I'm still in my head a lot dealing with a bunch of stuff that only a death brings out. It is all good, just exhausting. I don't want to wish my life away but I will be glad when it is the fall and it is cool, football, midterms, harvest, ya know.

Rose -- I'm sorry U have to go thru this !-- I've buried 2 of my younger brothers and a niece in the last 2 years or so !
It's hard !-- 2 overdoses and a suicide !
We made it down to 78 last night !-- Almost broke out the long johns !-- I'm with U on looking forward to fall !-- I'm ready to vote !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Keef, I am sorry you had so much loss too. 78 for a low??? that is hot.
We got our first new front door yesterday. the other one was so old you could replace the door knob. It is pretty cute, i will take a pic, kinda makes the house look like it needs power washed.
DSCF5208.JPG DSCF5207.JPG
DSCF5209.JPG

Rose they say it is always darkest before the dawn !-- Burying family and now this divorce got things pretty dark for ole Keef ! -- Without my medicine I'd be a basket case !--
One day at a time is how I'm doing it !-- Never know what tommorrow might bring !

I might do battle with that possessed lawn mower this evening !-- Maybe I can get it started and raise it up high as it go and try to mow some !-- I'm take the pick ax out with me when I try to start it !--- Just in case we have a misunderstanding !-Shooting it would be unwise !

Gonna be a hot one out here today, maybe 104 or so...my poor son and his family live in Redding Ca, right at the top of California’s Central Valley. Gonna be pushing 110 today and maybe 112 tomorrow...we’re off to check on the old folks this mornin but we’ll be in the A/C as much as possible...
I came home yesterday and of the 3 little plant I had going on the front porch, 2 had wilted and were laying down...I watered them and this morning they are standing tall(well about 2”) again...I moved them to a spot that will get them a bit of filtered light and shade...
Added the mosaic hops to my beer so another week and it’ll be in the keg gettin on some carbonation...Cheers...

Yep Gloman - I can vent it !-- I like Umbra's vacuum pump -- Looks like the one we used in the hospital back in the day !-- I'd recommend a moisture trap (little thump keg) -- Between the work and the pump -- U don't want to suck stuff into the pump !
Triple digits and heat advisory again today -I think this is nature's way of saying "Keef U need to be somewhere else" !
For filtering a cold trap isn't required, but if using the vacuum chamber, then it is a must for my pump. I use dry ice for mine.

Good morning all,
Hot in the hood this morning, not really but 60 for a low is a little worrisome. Heading for 103. I am afraid to jinx this, but so far my outdoor looks awesome.
RE, i need to take out the bed in our guest room and fill it with Lush Lights and grow some CBD!!!! In fact I think i should make this whole house a grow.
Hey Umbra, did you get your lemon to clone? i started 3 and got one. She has some big leaves out in the garden. I flipped mine in the house last week.

I'm still in my head a lot dealing with a bunch of stuff that only a death brings out. It is all good, just exhausting. I don't want to wish my life away but I will be glad when it is the fall and it is cool, football, midterms, harvest, ya know.
I got 3 beans to pop and then took 5 clones, 3 have rooted so far. The 3 in veg are big enough to take more cuts. Oh, we have similar front doors. Mine has 6 glass panes, but otherwise the same. Mine is painted white.

I don't understand "cold trap" ?-- What I'm talking about is like a jar with an in and out so that if fluid comes thru the suction line it with stay in the jar and not go into the pump !-- In a shop it was called a moisture trap in an air line-- In the hospital same concept was called a sputum trap --Used to collect specimens for the lab !​
Cold Trap ?-- Negative knowledge !

Who U gonna believe?-- Me or your lyingass eyes ?-- Watching the news to see if Bubba can pull it off !-- That trick has always been outta my reach !

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand "cold trap" ?-- What I'm talking about is like a jar with an in and out so that if fluid comes thru the suction line it with stay in the jar and not go into the pump !-- In a shop it was called a moisture trap in an air line-- In the hospital same concept was called a sputum trap --Used to collect specimens for the lab !
Cold Trap ?-- Negative knowledge !
Since the problem with pulling a vacuum with solvents is the solvents getting into the pump oil and creating a situation that will sieze the pump from the oil getting to thin. The cold trap does the same thing, but uses very cold temps to keep the solvent from entering the pump. It's a chamber within a chamber style. easier to show you than explain.
https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/1-5-gallon-cold-trap-2qt-tank-dry-ice-liquid-nitrogen.html

See that jar between the pot and the worm ?-- The thump keg -- That's all I'm talking about !
imagejpeg_0.jpg

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 15
I think you need more than just the thump keg, it has to be cold to keep the solvent vapors from being pulled into the vacuum.

lol That unit looks familure!
Using a "trap" is always a good idea when using a vac.
Solvents can ruin a good pump fast.

My boom-boom test when something like solvents and electricity be involved would be to set it up ( vacuum cleaner pulling a solvent ) out in the back yard and turn it on from a distance with an extention cord !-- If it blows up ?-- That wasn't a good idea and don't be doing that nomore ! -U haven't seen me talking about blasting with butane ?-- Nope too dangerous for an old stoner to be playing with butane fumes !
I never vacuumed filtered any solvents yet but I might vacuum filter some wine?
Gloman -- That thump keg look familiar ?-- It was the only pic I had showed a trap !

I did buy a spark less vacuum pump. Even with only alcohol, extreme caution needs to apply with 190%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back