hot spots?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puffnstuff

Reaction score
has anyone actually had problems with hot spots from aluminum foil? or is it just a wives tale from old books? Can anyone show me actual damage? not trying to start an argument but aluminum seems to reflect a heck of a lot better than panda film, I am very disapointed with panda film, it doesn't reflect squat, while aluminum foil reflects quit well, you can even aim light with it. please tell me about any experience you have had with foil.
Thank you
puff

Aluminum foil is designed to reflect 88% percent of the energy it recieves. Not all of that is light. Most is heat. Smooth white surfaces exceed 90% reflection while Reflective Mylar reflects up to 98% reflectivity. In truth, the differences between White surfaces and Al-foil is imperceptible by human eyes and most likely plants. Mylar sure looks snazzy though.

puffnstuff just because it looks like its reflecting more light doesn't mean that it is. Remember you can't see full spectrum light. Mirrors may look like the reflect a lot of light but compared to say a sheet of drywayll they don't reflect diddly. White or mylar are your best bets. Panda film is WAY WAY WAY better than aluminum foil. This has been discussed to death in these forums do a little searching and you'll see.

I know it's been discussed, but I have never seen any real evidence of hot spots. I have been doing a little experimenting and foil seems better than panda. true we dont see all of the spectrum but again it looks like it reflects better. Almost all hoods have aluminum for a reflector, there has to be a reason for that. Mylar looks cool in pictures but I have never seen it in person. I just am not sold on panda being better than alum. I almost think it is the manufacturers who have started the "hot spot" story to sell more product, wouldn't be the first time that happened. Flat paint seems better than panda too, just cheapo latex even. anyone have any hot spot problems? I want to hear about them if you did. thanks

puff

edit: btw, my room is lined with panda film and I have a bunch more still on the roll

I think its a good question
In the old days I had a 1000 watt MH and used alluminum foil to make the walls of the grow area.
I wont argue the reflectivity is as good as other options but I never had "hot spots" or any damage using it.

Hot spots is really not the issue. The bottom line is that it is a poor reflector of light (usually your biggest expense). You cannot tell if something is a good reflector just by looking at it. There have been tests done on the reflective ability of different materials. I will try to find a link to a serious study. The hot spots is just an additional thing to watch out for. Flat white paint is a far better reflector and is cheaper.

flat white paint meaning not glossy paint.

myself, i've never used a-foil, but have always heard mylar is the best;98% reflectability. i use flat white paint for now...

i used aluminum foil before finding this site.with no problems at all.don't know the science behind the debate though.

andy52 said:
i used aluminum foil before finding this site.with no problems at all.don't know the science behind the debate though.

The problem with foil is one that you cannot see. It simply does not reflect light well. Since (generally) your lighting costs are your biggest costs, it just makes good economic sense to use a good reflecting material in your grow room. Even though mylar has the greatest reflectivity, it is only so if it is hung with no wrinkles and is clean. I find it hard to work with: it is hard to hang straight without wrinkles, and it does not clean well. So, I use 6 mil Panda film. Panbda film is also light tight.

When I said flat white paint I meant white-white. No Off-white or Eggshell or any of that rot. I suppose that the less porous the surface is, in spite of it's color, the more reflective properties the wall itself has. Meaning white drywall is better than white textured paint.

Latest posts

Back