how big a pot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to grow a couple of plants but no more than 2 feet tall. Is a 2 gallon bucket too small or will that work? Reason being space is a issue.

some people start the seed in a party cup,
then when it gets a little bigger, put it in a pot
then a bigger one
then a bigger one.
some people start the seed in a cup then
put it in a 5gal bucket and let it go forever
some do different things
2gallon bucket can be used for a certain time

you will be fine with a 2 gallon pot..:aok:

:yeahthat:
4u2sm0ke said:
you will be fine with a 2 gallon pot..:aok:

Start with party cups because if not you'll have a hell of a time getting water to the plant. I speak of this problem from experience. DO NOT VEG for more than 2 or 3 weeks or else you're going to need more than 2 gallons. Just to get you thinking about how big the roots are on these plants, I grew autoflowers in 2 gallon pots and by the time they were done growing i could pull out every drop of soil in my pot with the root system it was so dense. Thats two months of growing from seedling for an auto flower, so you can expect a healthier root system from the big girls :)

I just harvested 2 plant last night one a Papaya that was near 3 foot tall and a Blue Mystic that was near 4 foot tall and both were in 2 gallon pot and never had a prob. with root bound or anything. So yes I think you'll be fine with the 2 gallon pots...take care..

the bigger the pots, the more lateral the roots can grow, this also affects branching to a degree, take it or leave it, but i would flower in 5 gallon buckets if i were you, the plants will appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back