• If you cannot log in please check out this thread After Upgrade Notes. or use the Contact Us at the bottom right corner of the main forum page.
Advertise On Marijuana Passion

How hot does a 250w cfl get

biggerbuds

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
86
Reaction score
1
my 250wattCFL gets about as hot as my 400watt cool tube to the touch,maybe a touch hotter.
 

The Hemp Goddess

Granny Mod
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
19,416
Reaction score
8,339
bi0phreak420 said:
Well my bottom line is that im using CFLs that's all I have to say about that
Well, that is fine if you want to spend twice as much to grow the same amount as those using HPS. But new growers deserve to know the facts.
 

Hamster Lewis

Furry Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Messages
16,516
Reaction score
3,939
Not trying to knock any cfl growers...in fact I think some do an awesome job but like THG said..this place is where a lot of new growers come to find out info...they deserve to know the facts and then let them make the choice that is right for their situation...it is all good...we all share a love for the same plant. Nobody is hating bro.
 

Hick

Git "R" lit
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
12,837
Reaction score
12,933
bi0phreak420 said:
Well my bottom line is that im using CFLs that's all I have to say about that
...and that is "fine"..No one is trying to "convert" you.
"You can lead a horse to water.... ;)"
but when you make statements that are NOT true and factual, you may lead others, newbies to believe it is true. THAT is why you are being disputed, because your analogy is wrong.
400 watt hps=50,000 L
150 watt flo=12,000 L (x3=36,000 L and consuming "more" energy)
I broke it down in big lights in the above post. Now, for you, I'll break it down again with $$s.
23 watt cfls(100 watt eq) 1600 lumnen $3.06 hXXp://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1582/FC23-FEIISB27K.html
400 watt hps 50,000 lumen $100 (uncludes bulb, ballast, and hood) hXXp://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=400+watt+hps&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5613548153741699833&sa=X&ei=LKNpTYm5O431gAecvZTLCg&ved=0CEsQ8wIwAg&output=nojs

SOOO.. in order to achieve equal lighting/lumens from the cfls that the single hps supplies. You would require 31 of those $3.06 bulbs. 31x3=$96 and you haven't yet bought fixtures, cords, splitters, ect.

In addition, 31 bulbs X 23 watts =713 watts of energy consumed.

I hope that helps you to understand the "facts".
 

bi0phreak420

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
144
Reaction score
5
This is the CFL i use and it works pretty good 125 watt ...2700k.....10,500 lumens
2011-02-27_18-12-31_586-750.jpg

2011-02-27_18-12-39_667-750.jpg
 

Sixx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2011
Messages
141
Reaction score
3
The Hemp Goddess said:
Well, that is fine if you want to spend twice as much to grow the same amount as those using HPS. But new growers deserve to know the facts.
Maybe we dont need to grow the same amount as an HPS user.
Your comparison is not fair.... You are assuming we are gonna go buy 31 CFls to have 45K Lumens...When in actuality we are only using 8 or 10 CFLs.... You cant tell me 8 or 10 CFLs cost more to operate than a 400W HPS. True the 400W HPS is better, mainly due to the wattage and further reach. It has more lumens and wattage and penetration and and... We know. But from the studies I have done, the difference in end product is not as drastic as you make it sound. Im sure you know light diminishes over distance.... a 400W at 12 inches from the canopy dimishes over 50% of the lumens. Our CFLs at 1inch diminish 0% of the lumens. Not to mention Photosynthetic Active Radiation is the measure of light that a plant actually senses and uses, and it is the light the plant sees and can use that is more important then the actual output lumen of the grow lamp! Another benefit of using CFL’s is that they do not generate as much heat and can be kept almost on top of the plants producing the exact 100% photosynthetic active radiation light, with no loss of intensity. So if you position these lamps close to the leaves you get the benefit of 100% PAR light in the correct 400nw to 700nw range, giving the plant the correct light colours and light quality. You do not get 100% PAR light with an HID. The difference in yield is NOT night and day, it is much closer than most people think.
 
R

Roddy

Guest
bi0phreak420 said:
This is the CFL i use and it works pretty good 125 watt ...2700k.....10,500 lumens
View attachment 161052

View attachment 161053
lol, mine is sitting waiting for a need. I briefly used it for vegging and have used it for side-lighting the big gals, but she's not big enough for my needs! May be good for someone with very limited space, and is a casual smoker. They do sell a bulb for budding as well.
 

Hick

Git "R" lit
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
12,837
Reaction score
12,933
Sixx said:
Maybe we dont need to grow the same amount as an HPS user.
Your comparison is not fair.... You are assuming we are gonna go buy 31 CFls to have 45K Lumens...When in actuality we are only using 8 or 10 CFLs.... You cant tell me 8 or 10 CFLs cost more to operate than a 400W HPS. True the 400W HPS is better, mainly due to the wattage and further reach. It has more lumens and wattage and penetration and and... We know. But from the studies I have done, the difference in end product is not as drastic as you make it sound. Im sure you know light diminishes over distance.... a 400W at 12 inches from the canopy dimishes over 50% of the lumens. Our CFLs at 1inch diminish 0% of the lumens. Not to mention Photosynthetic Active Radiation is the measure of light that a plant actually senses and uses, and it is the light the plant sees and can use that is more important then the actual output lumen of the grow lamp! Another benefit of using CFL’s is that they do not generate as much heat and can be kept almost on top of the plants producing the exact 100% photosynthetic active radiation light, with no loss of intensity. So if you position these lamps close to the leaves you get the benefit of 100% PAR light in the correct 400nw to 700nw range, giving the plant the correct light colours and light quality. You do not get 100% PAR light with an HID. The difference in yield is NOT night and day, it is much closer than most people think.
the numbers just don't lie.... :)

JEEZ.... okay, we'll try it "your" way...:doh:

10 cfls @ 1600 L. ea.= 16,000 consuming 230 watts of energy.
1... 250 watt hps 28,500 LUMENS..almost twice the BANG for the buck... :confused2:
a single 150 watt hps is about equal to your 230 watts of cfls.
16,000 L.
cfl's are in no way, shape or form, "superior" too hps. It is proven time and time again.
I am NOT dissing cfl growers, or their results, nor 'convert' anyone. I have seen some pretty fine results from some of you.
But facts are facts. cfls are more expensive to operate, produce more heat, "watt per watt, lumen per lumen than hps.

I think this involves "physics". I'm NOT well versed in the subject, BUT... this is how "I" understand it..
If you have two bulbs, consuming identical amounts of energy(watts), and one is producing 10,000 lumens, and the other is producing 5,000 Lumen. The one producing 5,000 will emit "more" heat.
Why?.. only half as much of the energy consumed, is being transformed into light, the other half "must" be transformed/emitted as heat. Is there some factor that I am not considering?.. energy consumed/work performed=efficiency ??
The way that "I" see it, 400 watts of "in"-efficient lighting is going to be harder to cool, than 400 watts of "efficient" lighting.
"IMO" you are going about the problem in reverse anyway. You need to calculate he amount of light needed/required to sufficiently light your space, and deal with that. Rather than try to control temperature by reducing your light.. "JMO"...
400 watt hps=50,000 L
150 watt flo=12,000 L (x3=36,000 L and consuming "more" energy)
If those extra 50 watts of energy are not being transformed into light, what is it being transformed into?
and if this thinking, theory is flawed (which it COULD be) I would be interested in hearing how.
Like I said, I am not well versed/educated in 'physics' :confused2:..
 

slowmo77

Are you lost
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
3,834
Reaction score
4,709
as a former CFL grower i've gotta say a few things here.

my first grow space was 2x2x4 and i had something like 14 cfl's 8 23watt and 6 were 42 watts. with that many lights i had heat issues but could get the lights very close to the plants.. i had nearly 100 bucks in lights and grew decent buds with them.

then i found these 150w HPS vapor tight lights. wow, they were like 20bucks each. they came with a sealed glass case around the bulb. those two lights replaced those cfls and i can place them right ontop of my plants as long as the plant don't touch the glass they're fine. i didn't have half the heat to deal with or the cords from all the light.

so it has been my experiance that lumen for lumen you can't beat an hps with a cfl. you can try but in the end as far as cost and power the hps will come out on top. im not saying you can't grow nice stuff with cfls because i grew some nice bud. these are just my thoughts
 

Hick

Git "R" lit
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
12,837
Reaction score
12,933
thanks slomo'.. you, the chef, and sixx were the cfl growers that came to mind.
Again, I'm not dissing anyone or their method of growing. If "you're happy", if it's "working for you"... GO WITH IT.
I just want to clarify, and keep the record straight, as far as the efficiency, costs, ect.

I use cfls in certain applications. They're convenient, and serve the purpose. But they still cost me more to run/maintain than equal light in hps.(I'm actually planning a change to t5HO's) At no time have I said "don't use cfls", or "cfl's are useless".
 

Sixx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2011
Messages
141
Reaction score
3
Originally posted by Hick:

10 cfls @ 1600 L. ea.= 16,000 consuming 230 watts of energy.
1... 250 watt hps 28,500 LUMENS..almost twice the BANG for the buck... :confused2:
a single 150 watt hps is about equal to your 230 watts of cfls.
16,000 L.
cfl's are in no way, shape or form, "superior" too hps. It is proven time and time again.
I am NOT dissing cfl growers, or their results, nor 'convert' anyone. I have seen some pretty fine results from some of you.
But facts are facts. cfls are more expensive to operate, produce more heat, "watt per watt, lumen per lumen than hps.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never did I say CFLs were superior to HPS.... My oppinion is CFL's are not as inferior as some people make them out to be. The 250W HPS putting out 26K Lumens dimishes to about 15600 Lumens at 9inches from the canopy.. The superior difference is the bigger wattage and more powerful penetration. And again...you all keep stating cfls are more expensive to operate, produce more heat, "watt per watt, lumen per lumen than hps. Very true... But Thats an apples to oranges comparison IMO. CFL growers do not go out and buy enough CFLs to achieve the same lumens as HPS.

Anyway...Im not trying to be that argumentative guy and get a big ole debate going or create any negativity here.
All Im saying is if you want to grow and cannot afford an HPS, and a bigger fan to exhaust the increased heat, or maybe you just want to try it out before you go spend your hard earned cash, you CAN grow some phunky bud with CFLs without spending but only a fraction of the cash.
View attachment 161068 646 (1)-750.jpg
 

bi0phreak420

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
144
Reaction score
5
slowmo77 said:
as a former CFL grower i've gotta say a few things here.

my first grow space was 2x2x4 and i had something like 14 cfl's 8 23watt and 6 were 42 watts. with that many lights i had heat issues but could get the lights very close to the plants.. i had nearly 100 bucks in lights and grew decent buds with them.

then i found these 150w HPS vapor tight lights. wow, they were like 20bucks each. they came with a sealed glass case around the bulb. those two lights replaced those cfls and i can place them right ontop of my plants as long as the plant don't touch the glass they're fine. i didn't have half the heat to deal with or the cords from all the light.

so it has been my experiance that lumen for lumen you can't beat an hps with a cfl. you can try but in the end as far as cost and power the hps will come out on top. im not saying you can't grow nice stuff with cfls because i grew some nice bud. these are just my thoughts
IM NOT USING 14 cfls im using 1...1 cfl LOOK AT THE PIC ABOVE
 

slowmo77

Are you lost
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
3,834
Reaction score
4,709
bi0phreak420 said:
IM NOT USING 14 cfls im using 1...1 cfl LOOK AT THE PIC ABOVE
i assume that all caps means your gettin an attitude so i'll respond accordingly.

At what point did this become all about you and what your using.
As i recall Dr. Autoflower started this thread. I don't see anyone arguing with you by name. I was simply stating my experiance with Cfl's and Hps lights. if you'll pull your head out of your arse and read what i wrote you'll see that.

you'll never hear (read) me saying that you can't or shouldn't use cfl's or any low budget growing supplies for that matter. when i started i used a hand held floro shop light over a tote full of MG moisture control soil and added lights when i had the money and the need and made it work.

how much cash did you drop on that big cfl? how many lumens is it? how many watts? how close can you get your hand before it gets hot?

i run dual 150w HPS vapor tights now. im sure some members are still here that bought the same lights..
heres the run down on them.
150 watts, 15,900 lumens each. you can get within an 2 inches of the glass before it gets hot and i payed around 20$ each for them. can you beat the price? the lumens? the cost? the heat? thats what i thought!!!!
 

nova564t

I am my own caregiver
Joined
Jan 15, 2011
Messages
768
Reaction score
37
I thought I might put in my 2 cents, I grow and will continue to grow with CFLs because I have them and can't afford to spend any money on my room. Even though I grow very good bud with CFLs if I had the money and a little more room I would switch to HPS for bloom, but for now I'll just stick with what I got and stay high just the same!!:farm: :joint4:
 

slowmo77

Are you lost
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
3,834
Reaction score
4,709
thats what everyone should do.. work with what they can afford and share what they learn. if you ever get bored look in the photo section for some of my cfl buds.. i had one as long as my arm from elbow to figure tips and almost as big around..
 

The Hemp Goddess

Granny Mod
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
19,416
Reaction score
8,339
Boy, I sure miss those 150W vapor tights. It was hard to pass up that $20 price tag for a 150W HPS.
 

bi0phreak420

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
144
Reaction score
5
YOU WANT FACTS.......the facts are that weed is exactly what we call it a weed it will grow without hps and cfls and nutes and all the other dumb **** that we do to it................
 

bi0phreak420

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
144
Reaction score
5
nova564t said:
I thought I might put in my 2 cents, I grow and will continue to grow with CFLs because I have them and can't afford to spend any money on my room. Even though I grow very good bud with CFLs if I had the money and a little more room I would switch to HPS for bloom, but for now I'll just stick with what I got and stay high just the same!!:farm: :joint4:
Well put nova.....thats my man right there...lol
 

slowmo77

Are you lost
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
3,834
Reaction score
4,709
bi0phreak420 said:
YOU WANT FACTS.......the facts are that weed is exactly what we call it a weed it will grow without hps and cfls and nutes and all the other dumb **** that we do to it................
man your ignorance really shows now!! take a some of your WEED seeds and put them in a pot. sit it in the corner with just light coming thru the window to survive on.. run it till harvest and tell me it will produce something worth smoking without all the dumb **** we do. start a journal so we can all follow along with your great idea..
 

slowmo77

Are you lost
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
3,834
Reaction score
4,709
by the way you still didn't answer my questions there smarty britches
 
2
Top