Advertise On Marijuana Passion

How long should Hanna pH probe settle?

FemmeFatale

"Imagine no religion"
Reaction score
I'm using a Hanna "checker" pH meter. I notice it seems to take FOREVER for the reading to stabilize and stop switching the reading. I'm talking about 1/2 hour or longer until it finally stops, it changes very slow, but seems like it takes a long time. Batteries are good and I calibrate it properly. I have been using this meter for over a year and it has always done this. Is this the norm? ..thanks.

Budders Keeper

Reaction score
Howdy FF

Hmm, Mine only takes a minute or 2 max. How much of a change in the reading from say 2-3 minutes to 15minutes or so?

Is your water moving or stagnant?

SensiStarFan

Reaction score
mine does this too. I notice when I move the meter back and forth or in circles in the nutrient soultion the ph reading drops. It has to do with how the meter is reading the (EDIT, I meant ph). What I do is move the ph meter in the solution to bring the reading down, then stop moving it and wait to see if it starts going up.

-SSF-

FemmeFatale

"Imagine no religion"
Reaction score
Budders, are you using the same type of meter? if so...yours doesnt drift at all????

FemmeFatale

"Imagine no religion"
Reaction score
ok...i have my meter, i just dropped it in my RO water. started at 9.4 it has dropped to 8.43 after 2 mins...still dropping

Budders Keeper

Reaction score
FemmeFatale said:
Budders, are you using the same type of meter? if so...yours doesnt drift at all????
Mine is a hanna, ph only, and it's red. Not sure if it is the "checker" I've had it awhile.

I do pretty much exactly like SSF. I have noticed it usually starts where it left off. If it was 6.2 last time I checked, and I adjust ph, when I dip it back in it says 6.2 and then drifts down to 5.6 over a minute or so. Drops .2 each second til it gets close... and then .1 every 2-5 seconds til it's at the correct reading.
As SSF does, when I swish it around it gets there much quicker.

Budders Keeper

Reaction score
Mine only reads to tenths,, 8.4 or 8.5,, no in between. Must be different meters but I still think that 30minutes is wayyy to long.

Growdude

I am the Smo King
Reaction score
FemmeFatale said:
ok...i have my meter, i just dropped it in my RO water. started at 9.4 it has dropped to 8.43 after 2 mins...still dropping
You have swirl it around some dont just let it sit.

SensiStarFan

Reaction score
:yeahthat:

Not sure which one you use but this is my Hanna. Yout gotta stir it around and not let it sit. Mine has a symbol on the screen that pops up when it has a "stable" reading. It takes me about 60-90 seconds (mine reads to two decimal places too)
ph meter 001.JPG

-SSF-

FemmeFatale

"Imagine no religion"
Reaction score
Seems to have finally stabilized after 30min at 7.12 I grow in soil and the water is EXTREMELY hard here. Natural spring waters. I understand hard water is actually good. so I'm trying to use RO to take out most of the hardness, which is 215ppm

slowmo77

Are you lost
Reaction score
i use a the hanna checker also and mine takes a few minutes to get a good reading. it will drop pretty fast till it get close then it moves .01 at a time then when it hits the right ph it will jump from say 6.49 to 6.48 back and fourth.

Latest posts