How often/much to water your seedlings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheEnhancementSmoker

RED TEAM GO
Reaction score
I have seedlings in Jiffy Mix in Jiffy Pots under flourescents, how much/often should I water them for optimal growth?

I don't let seedlings dry out. IMO keep the soil mix moist at al times til the first transplant. Don't over water just enough to moisten the soil at all times

ozzydiodude said:
I don't let seedlings dry out. IMO keep the soil mix moist at al times til the first transplant. Don't over water just enough to moisten the soil at all times
:yeahthat:

Key word is moist, not wet.:hubba:

Fill a jiffy pot with jiffy mix and feel what the weight is dry. Then saturate the same pot/mix with water and feel again. Muscle memory.

When your seedling pot is getting close to the weight of the dry pot, water, and I mean water, saturate that sucker!

Let it get close to dry before watering again. Might take a few days, might take a week or more.

2 biggest mistakes by newbs are overwatering and over nuteing. They are babies for Christ sake, treat them accordingly.

DD

A seedling root system has the same need as a mature root system. it still needs to breathe, you can easily kill a seedling by keeping it permanantly wet.

:peace:

well i just use a syringe and feed them 10ml directly at the bottom of the stem and the get a little bigger i go up to 20-30ml then i plant them and then i go half litre then litre and then litre and a half as they progress

I like to use a spray bottle set to mist and just moisten the medium. Soaking it and letting it dry will cause the plant to damp off, which makes the base of the seedling look like lizard skin. Its hard to save them if it gets that far. Don't forget to use a fan to lightly move air over your babies as well - it will toughen them up and help avoid drooping.

Thanks for the fan tip Skatking. My seedlings are drooping. I have a Shish ka bob stick holding 3 of them upright. I just ran to put a fan on them after reading your post. This is my 1st grow and I have a lot to learn. :)

Latest posts

Back