hydro newb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groworganic

Reaction score
hey everyone...it's been a while. i have been a soil grower for a handful of years now, and i am thinking about trying my hand at hydro. I just got some clones of chemdog from a friend and I am working on setting up a micro grow for them. At this point, I am thinking about fitting a rubbermaid tote with small net pots in the lid and some airstones at the bottom (similar to the DIY bubbler in the DIY forum). I guess what I want to know is if this setup will work from clone to harvest. I have seen similar setups used only for rooting clones, but not so much for veg and flowering. I know this is totally a newb question, but i am just kind of knocking around options before i waste too much time. thanks for your help everyone, and its good to be growing again. :hubba:

How big is your rubbermaid?

I have an 18 gal one working right now from seeds. I have two plants growing very well.

well, since i have such limited space for this grow, I was thinking either a 3 or 5 gallon res. I have 4 clones, and a space that is 30''L x 18''W x 36''H. If I can get away with a 3 gallon res, that will just give me that much more room to work with, but if i have to go bigger, so be it. I will also be doing SCROG and all flouro's.

Sounds like you got just about everything together. If you google 'bubbleheads' those folks use tube feeders to irrigate the root structures until they hit the reservoir. I've used this method and it works well. You will notice a vast growth difference between hydro and soil - as much as an inch a day with hydro. Good luck and best wishes.

the 3gal res is small for 4 plants, if you could get a bigger 10gal would be better, the roots will grow big and will need space so if you get a wider tote that covers more square ft rather than a deeper one that requires more vertical space. other than that you seem to have it figured out, you made the right decision to go hydro ;) no more soilbags needed to be carried in or out of your growroom, better control, faster growth, no pests .... etc :D

3 gallon res is to small for 4 plants, there would not be enough room for their roots. I like using the 1 plant 1 five gallon bucket DWC

yeah, i thought that 3 gal would be a little small...would a five gallon suffice? i don't know if i have the space for a ten gallon. Also, can anyone suggest a solid line of organic hydro nutes?

Five gal is only going to support one plant. I have been using nutes made by "Cutting Edge Solutions"

They have a website.

Latest posts

Back