Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She knows now choosing Herbert as her soul mate was the correct choice
7d68bd05c2f495529ffc7aacc2c25bd5.gif

Reminds me of a childhood sweetheart who loved popping my back zits

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am sitting here trying to figure out my day an just realized it is Shatterday....that means college football.....

I also have to go to my niece's Birthday party later on. She is 50.....damn even our siblings are getting up there in age. This should be interesting...several members of the family don't get along.....add some alcohol and get ready for the fireworks...

Better take the dog out back.

So I am sitting here trying to figure out my day an just realized it is Shatterday....that means college football.....

I also have to go to my niece's Birthday party later on. She is 50.....damn even our siblings are getting up there in age. This should be interesting...several members of the family don't get along.....add some alcohol and get ready for the fireworks...
Let the Glasses fly LOL Been there done that
giphy.gif

You have to be able to do that. To expensive. I worked at a Pontiac, Chevy and independent shops back in the day. The Pontiac sponsored me. Drags on Saturday night and looking for a street race every other night....for a couple of years that was my life.

By the way that was a stock 390 Mustang....couldn't get into the 13's guaranteed. Any real street racer would blow the doors off that thing. And if you don't know what I just said and agree...you weren't a street racer.
Our '67 Camaro 327 (.040 over=331 cu in) open headers and sticky Mickey Thompson 50 series could run mid -high 11 second quarter mile runs. That said, this was straight bracket racing, run what ya bring sort of stuff. It was not class racing.

We had tunnel ram through the hood and this and other mods would have put us in a class we would get stomped in. These were OUR "daily drivers" not trailered race cars by any means.

Bubba

Last edited:
Loved the 383 magnum in my Super Bee and the 327 in my 69 Cameron.
Yes. That 327 was my go to. Much go for littlest amount of money. Cheap to replace, junk yards were full of them in those days. I usually went for the cheaper 2 bolt main block, rather than the more expensive 4 bolt main. Fine for drag racing and 2 advantages.

One, less friction, and two you could get creative with large journal crankshafts, ground to small journal diameter, off center by the amount one wanted to stroke the engine to.

This gave you a stroker crankshaft for the price of a junk yard large journal crank and having it turned, of course.

Bubba

I only ran mid 12's. Damn fast for a 327 on all motor. I was waiting for a Ford lover to argue with me about a stock 390 stang not being able to break into the 13's stock. That car had a road gear in in no posi track and no headers with street tires. Probably ran about 14.50 at sea level.

We did a lot of racing when I was young, but we had an old industrial park and the old Airport road to stage our drag strips. Drifting? I saved my tires for racing in a straight line! Drifting didn't exist yet. Bubba

We had an old air strip that we used to pick the gate (chain) lock to, which made the cops happy but the insurance folks nervous, so they did everything they could to keep us out.

I was a street racer. But in the end like most it ended up costing to much. Takes money to go fast. Plus you start breaking and that really costs money. Last I got tired of pulling the heads, #6 intake would burn plus checking the rod bearings for wear on the crank.

The fastest way from zero to 60 is not swept volume, but cubic money.

Racing aint cheap. I use to Street Race and the only good thing good was i knew how to rebuild my own engines.

And actually thought it was fun at the time..............

We were lucky. We grew up with affordable muscle cars.

And the insight and training to build our own rigs from pieces............. The only way I could race as a kid.

49F @ 91% RH, partially cloudy, and predicted to soar to 66F with good air quality.

Alas, after getting my acoustical sieving equipment all cleaned up and connected, I discovered the office JVC R-X500 receiver is broken. I'm disinclined to disconnect my Denon receiver from the living room, so will put the project on hold until I can get the JVC fixed.

Breakfast at Tin Shed this morning with Grayfox and a friend.

I only ran mid 12's. Damn fast for a 327 on all motor. I was waiting for a Ford lover to argue with me about a stock 390 stang not being able to break into the 13's stock. That car had a road gear in in no posi track and no headers with street tires. Probably ran about 14.50 at sea level.
Yes, I had a buddy with a 2 door LTD, 69 maybe? It had the 390 and was dam fast. Never saw it at a strip to time but it felt like a low 13 sec quarter, and it was stock.

That motor is same block as some of the 427 motors, with a bore or stroke difference. Never built or rebuilt a Ford motor.

OH YEAH,,,well i built them with my eyes closed. Then i would meet Steve McQueen and we would race thru the night. 😁
Well I never raced with any celebs, and blind folded? No, I needed me peepers to look at the plasti-gauge...we couldn't afford no stinking micrometers.

Do tell more about running with McQueen. First guy in a real holly wood chase scene. I always loved his motorcycle interests as well, just old enough to buildinibikes and so forth, and magazines like Mechanics Illustrated would feature articles covering. One of my heros.

Bubba

By the way....I hate "Chase is the Race" street racing like JJ the Boss does.....you leave early you loose IMO. Working the light is an art in itself.
Red light bandit....interesting, guys with money used something called a line lock. Held you in place once you stepped on the brake at a stop.
Press the gas it lets go. Odd, most new cars these days have this built in, my 2019 Mazda has it.

Some guys would stage a little deeper, and leave early, hoping the light changed to green by the time they hit the traps. This gave them improved 60 yard times, but also gave a bunch of red lights.

Bubba

I am talking about something completely different. Chase is the race. If you leave early and the other guy chases you it is a race no matter how early you are or how late the other guy is.. Watch Street Outlaws Memphis. JJ is a cheater. PERIOD!!!

If you deep stage you run a faster ET. Clocks don't start untill you back tires break the beams not the front. I ran an 11.90 once deep staging.

But I was a red light bandit....I played every game possible on the starting line....only at the strip....wouldn't work on the street with a guy flagging you.

Memories....I am going back to 1970...

Latest posts

Back