Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not my cup of tea. Chase is the race opens up cheating. If the flagger and racer know each other they can cheat by communicating with each other before reaching the starting line. Why does JJ get to flag for his own people? They always get and advantage when launching.

If you leave early you automatically loose IMO....keeps things fair. And the flagger and driver shouldn't be on the same team.

Buncha damned gear heads! All that high octane:angiesfavorite: fuel getting burned is killing all the turtles!
Just a bunch of 50 year old memories to me now days. That is what o'l farts do....look out the window and dream of days gone by.

giphy.gif

I am talking about something completely different. Chase is the race. If you leave early and the other guy chases you it is a race no matter how early you are or how late the other guy is.. Watch Street Outlaws Memphis. JJ is a cheater. PERIOD!!!

If you deep stage you run a faster ET. Clocks don't start untill you back tires break the beams not the front. I ran an 11.90 once deep staging.

But I was a red light bandit....I played every game possible on the starting line....only at the strip....wouldn't work on the street with a guy flagging you.

Memories....I am going back to 1970...
Oh I see. Yeah on the street, we were basically interested in who was faster. We would generally just race, unless someone needed messed with. Bracket racing is very basic. Run what you brung deal, not a lot of wasted time. Basically to try to keep kids off the streets.

Most of ours was at an old industrial park, which had two large Lanes going through it.
Great set up, get in, pair off and run then leave.
Pretty crappy surface. Other location is old airport road. Remote, long and that nice smooth black pavement.Great surface. Problem there was it was dark as hell.

Bubba

Not my cup of tea. Chase is the race opens up cheating. If the flagger and racer know each other they can cheat by communicating with each other before reaching the starting line. Why does JJ get to flag for his own people? They always get and advantage when launching.

If you leave early you automatically loose IMO....keeps things fair. And the flagger and driver shouldn't be on the same team.
I agree. We just wanted bragging rights. And beer or course. I need to build another toy.

Bubba

One last note on street racing. You had to talk the talk. I had people standing in line trying to get to me. That is exactly why I had a guy or two just like Hopper as a henchman. I could and still can talk shiit with the best of them.

One time we were flat out busted and I had my headers uncapped....I was talking shiit to the cops while my friend was laying under my car hooking them back into the mufflers. He didn't catch us in the act and my headers were capped and i walked away with no ticket.

All the time I did it I never got one ticket for street racing. Remember, they have to catch you in the act....Period.

Just a typical night of street racing.

giphy.gif

That motor is same block as some of the 427 motors, with a bore or stroke difference. Never built or rebuilt a Ford motor.

I actually built more Fords than anything else. It just worked out that way when I started with a 239 flathead in my first car. The second was a 235 in3 six cylinder in a 55 Bel Air 2 door, followed by a 260 in a Sunbeam Tiger and two VW's. After building a 360 and 440 Chrysler for my one ton, I built a turbocharged/intercooled 5L HO in another Tiger, followed by a couple of 460's, one stuffed in an 84 Fox body T bird, which was light and busty like a Tiger, and the other in a heavy 67 Suicide door T Bird which was fast but not quick. It originally came with the 390 FE block.

Just a bunch of 50 year old memories to me now days. That is what o'l farts do....look out the window and dream of days gone by.

Exactly! And what would you have at the old fart stage in life if it were not for fond memories of a life lived with gusto?

Oh I see. Yeah on the street, we were basically interested in who was faster. We would generally just race, unless someone needed messed with. Bracket racing is very basic. Run what you brung deal, not a lot of wasted time. Basically to try to keep kids off the streets. Most of ours was at an old industrial park, which had two large Lanes going through it.

Great set up, get in, pair off and run then leave. Pretty crappy surface. Other location is old airport road. Remote, long and that nice smooth black pavement.Great surface. Problem there was it was dark as ****. Bubba

Our official dragstrip growing up was an old abandon air field that we had to sneak into at night, and when they did hold events, machines with aircraft engines like the Green Monster and the Old Green Monster competed with blown flathead deuce coups. Us limited budget kids mostly just watched the rich boys dominate things and dream.

Once I moved to Portland, we have a nice strip and track at PIR international raceway. A few years back they opened it to periodic open events to try out whut ya brung. They do hold a safety inspection before letting you run, but what you can run is pretty open.

I agree. We just wanted bragging rights. And beer or course. I need to build another toy. Bubba

Dreaming, designing, scoring the parts and building a machine has been as much or more fun than driving it like I stole it later. I now limit my toy building to things I don't have to crawl under or stand on my head to work on, and which don't keep my hands constantly dry and cracked.

50F @ 80R RH, partially cloudy, and predicted to reach 68F with good air quality.

One man shot and killed and two different road rage incidents shooters arrested. Our deeply insightful and highly racist Portland Commissioner leading the defund the police campaign addresses rash of shootings at Mt Scott, by putting up road barriers limiting access to locals only, or those already ignoring laws against discharging a firearm in the city limits. Problem solved!!!

Working on my acoustical sieving project and am reminded of an old engineering axiom that, "some projects require extra steps." I contacted my electronics genius hero for stereo receiver repairs and he agreed to fix it for me, but alas has been glued to the porcelain throne for a couple days and is just starting to recover with medication from his doctor, so will call me when he's again up and about.

An oooooold friend a decade older than Moi, who has already died once but was revived, and is in poor health. He has multiple bypasses, is on a pacemaker and is so frail that I cringe every time he gets sick.

He has an incredible electronics gift and was who designed and built the control boards for WolfWurx's fully automatic Mk IIA, Mk VA, and Mk VA2's, based on a single chip. He also arranged for the engineer who programmed the Pentium III and IV for Microsoft, to program them for me from the logic I supplied. As it turns out, my friend was the engineers mentor when he first got started, so I got access to resources unavailable to most via the good ole boy network.

The sun has risen making way for another day above ground. Recovering from a birthday party yesterday. I always get carried away at social gatherings. Just a social butterfly I guess. I love horning in on a group conversation changing the subject and moving on to the next group.

Today, coffee with the neighbors, football, feeding the girls and thinking my next one is dry enough to start a dty trim. Did I mention I am bored. Ha ha!!!

Latest posts

Back