Kitty Litter-Carbon Substitute?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wetdog

Old Droopy Dog
Reaction score
I guess the thread got lost.

Can anyone remember either the brand(s) or the ingredient that made the kitty litter a cheap substitute for carbon?

Wet

I was thinking about this same thing the other day....I believe it was mindzeye who posted it....4u might know.

LOL It'll take some time, but we'll get all this back .... eventually.

Wet

Is Silica gel one of them? Its what they use for odour and moisture control in litter.

Wetdog said:
I guess the thread got lost.

Can anyone remember either the brand(s) or the ingredient that made the kitty litter a cheap substitute for carbon?

Wet

Actually, its a very poor substitute in regard to effectiveness. Activated carbon has a surface area in excess of 500 square meters per/gram. Cat Litter has about 0.0001 of a single meter, making it about 5 million times less effective at odor removal.

Cat Litter can be used to disguise the odor, but not rid the atmosphere of the odor, much like spraying stuff in the room will cover the odor with a "flowery" odor that just over-powers the other odor.

Jericho said:
Is Silica gel one of them? Its what they use for odour and moisture control in litter.

I think Silica gel was indeed it....

StoneyBud said:
Actually, its a very poor substitute in regard to effectiveness. Activated carbon has a surface area in excess of 500 square meters per/gram. Cat Litter has about 0.0001 of a single meter, making it about 5 million times less effective at odor removal.

Cat Litter can be used to disguise the odor, but not rid the atmosphere of the odor, much like spraying stuff in the room will cover the odor with a "flowery" odor that just over-powers the other odor.

Nah, it was something like Jerico mentioned, a silica gel perhaps?:confused2: :confused2:

It was a litter with a very specific ingredient that absorbed odor, not a perfume cover-up.

Plus it's about 1/8 the cost of carbon.:hubba:

Wet

Wetdog said:
Nah, it was something like Jerico mentioned, a silica gel perhaps?:confused2: :confused2:

It was a litter with a very specific ingredient that absorbed odor, not a perfume cover-up.

Wet

If I remember correctly there was something about the fact that it wasn't exactly good for the environment....I wonder if Mindz is still over on breedbay...

Silica gel soaks up 100x its weight in moisture but I don't know if it takes in oder. Maybe it takes in oder that is carried by the moisture. Silica gel can be reused by baking out the moisture at a relatively low oven temp. (You don't want to cook it.) Silica gel is also good for extending periods between waterings and you can get it at some greenhouse suppliers, they sell it just for that purpose.

niteshft said:
Silica gel soaks up 100x its weight in moisture but I don't know if it takes in oder. Maybe it takes in oder that is carried by the moisture. Silica gel can be reused by baking out the moisture at a relatively low oven temp. (You don't want to cook it.) Silica gel is also good for extending periods between waterings and you can get it at some greenhouse suppliers, they sell it just for that purpose.

Good info bro....thanks

Wetdog said:

Wet

I see what you mean. The perfume ones gag me.

Here is an additive I have bookmarked I think itis what yall ar looking for

hxxp://www.jefferspet.com/odor-no-more-cat-litter-additive/p/STK-A1/

Could be Oz.

Silica rings a bell, perhaps it was silica crystals rather than gel, but ...:confused2:

I do remember one was very expensive (for kitty litter), and there was a real cheap one at Waldo World.

I'll look around when I'm next out and about.

Wet

Hamster Lewis said:
I was thinking about this same thing the other day....I believe it was mindzeye who posted it....4u might know.

:rofl:

I think it was "Fresh steps" kitty litter..said had carbon in it for odor control....We made a DIY scrubber useing this stuff...:D ..Your memory simply amazes me man..:48:

4u2sm0ke said:
:rofl:

I think it was "Fresh steps" kitty litter..said had carbon in it for odor control....We made a DIY scrubber useing this stuff...:D ..Your memory simply amazes me man..:48:

Right right bro....it was diy scrubber....thanks. I don't know why I remember some things and not others lol.

Latest posts

Back