largest tomato competition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never too late friend. I will get my pics up soon. I am pulling onions in a week or two and have already been eating yellow squash and grating zucchini squash for bread. I think it will be a good year for corn too, its already chest high and no tassels yet. getting excited!!!!!!!!

ya we've been eatin alot of squash and zucchini the last week or so, cucumbers, potatos. green beans.. corns dragin its feet. i have some tomatoes we tried in those planters that hang from a tree. (not my idea) at first me thought ok this isn't going to work nut know its puttin out more tomatoes than the ones in the ground.. i'll put some pics up later

I did grew big tomatoes in past, I do have problem taste it, most of time it taste nothing, I like it ripe, when you smell the tomoato on the center of it, when it smell good and sweet, it iwll taste good, but bigger tomatoes usually taste nothing, if anyone know how to fix that, let me know I might join hmm

Alot of the problem with tomatoes not having much flavor is that most are hybrids now. If you look for some heirloom tomatoes which favor your area papa you will then bite into something that tastes gooooooooooooooooooooood!!

HippyInEngland said:
:postpicsworthless:

Ok, here are a couple pics of the rescued tomatoe plants. I put em too close together but I didnt expect em to get this big[much bigger than those in the OldLady's garden]

these are right behind the house, just off the patio and growing huge. I hope the tomatoes taste better than the OldLady's too :rofl:

rescued tomatoe 2.JPG

rescued tomatoe 1.JPG

I didn't grow any Tomato's this yr ! Beside it hard to grow tomato's in Adobe that crack in different ways after watering and these cracks r deep and wide and I taken all my OLD Potting soil and put it in my garden area so I can turn it into the soil for next yr grow..

Here some Pix of what my ground looks like even if it not my garden area this all over the place and the last pix of the garden where I put the potting soil at for next yr Tomato's grow.. Hopefully that will help.

Cracks in the ground 006.jpg

Cracks in the ground 007.jpg

Cracks in the ground 008.jpg

Just a couple I picked today.

The blue spots are the remnants of Bordeaux mixture that I had to use to fight off BLIGHT :shocked:

Going down to the patch later to try and tidy up a bit.

I have never seen Blight hit so hard and fast as this before. :shocked:

I seriously thought I was going to lose all my plants. :eek:

I had to remove a lot of infected leaves.

Will take some snaps for you later.

Clipper Toms.jpg

Blight

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blight
refers to a specific symptom affecting plants in response to infection by a pathogenic organism.

It is simply a rapid and complete chlorosis, browning, then death of plant tissues such as leaves, branches, twigs, or floral organs.[1] Accordingly, many diseases that primarily exhibit this symptom are called blights. Several notable examples are:

* Late blight of potato, caused by the water mold Phytophthora infestans (Mont.) de Bary, the disease which led to the Great Irish Famine

* Southern corn leaf blight, caused by the fungus Cochliobolus heterostrophus (Drechs.) Drechs, anamorph Bipolaris maydis (Nisikado & Miyake) by the bacterium Erwinia amylovora (Burrill) Winslow et al., is the most severe disease of pear and also is found in apple and raspberry, among others.

* Bacterial leaf blight of rice, caused by the bacterium Xanthomonas oryzae (Uyeda & Ishiyama) Dowson.[2]

* Early blight of potato and tomato, caused by species of the ubiquitous fungal genus Alternaria

On leaf tissue, symptoms of blight are the initial appearance of lesions which rapidly engulf surrounding tissue. However, leaf spot may, in advanced stages, expand to kill entire areas of leaf tissue and thus exhibit blight symptoms!!

Diseases and pests

Main article: List of tomato diseases​

Tomato cultivars vary widely in their resistance to disease. Modern hybrids focus on improving disease resistance over the heirloom plants. One common tomato disease is tobacco mosaic virus, and for this reason smoking or use of tobacco products are discouraged around tomatoes, although there is some scientific debate over whether the virus could possibly survive being burned and converted into smoke.[3] Various forms of mildew and blight are also common tomato afflictions, which is why tomato cultivars are often marked with a combination of letters which refer to specific disease resistance. The most common letters are: V - verticillium wilt, F - fusarium wilt strain I, FF - fusarium wilt strain I & II, N - nematodes, T - tobacco mosaic virus, and A - alternaria.

Another particularly dreaded disease is curly top, carried by the beet leafhopper, which interrupts the lifecycle, ruining a nightshade plant as a crop. As the name implies, it has the symptom of making the top leaves of the plant wrinkle up and grow abnormally.

Some common tomato pests are cutworms, tomato hornworms and tobacco hornworms, aphids, cabbage loopers, whiteflies, tomato fruitworms, flea beetles, red spider mite, slugs,[4] and Colorado potato beetles.

My BLIGHT INFECTED TOMATOES

On_Set.jpg

Blight.jpg

Latest posts

Back