largest tomato competition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK dont laugh but i am gonna order those upsidedown tomato planters/plants from the infomercial thats been on lately..i just finished my deck yesterday and i want 1 for each corner lol will order them now infact)

good day:D

well hopefully these new seeds i picked up of the same peppers an maters i tried startin before come up. i just started germ on 8 of each again. i failed some how last time. either that or wal-mart seeds are CRAP.. lol

good luck Zip..how are you containers comeing along?

chinsmsn...i almost baught some at target..topsecurvey..please post some pics and let us see how well they really do..do you have plenty of sun in the patio? thanks for shareing..and as you see Im not laughing..

good day

still got get motivated yet. found some old 3 and 5 gallon planters while diggin thru storage at my folks. my ma said she had some i just had go diggin for them. lol
they pretty neat. i wish i had the room to grow MJ in these inside lol.
i'll prolly use the 5 gal's for the tomatoes n the 3 for the peppers.
wat happens if ya start tomatoes as late as i am. ?

deck isnt covered yet an wont b till end of summer prolly it gets full sun so should b perfect..i should get them in on monday i hope..im tilling my garden plot today also busy busy guy this weekend lol:D

good day

zipflip said:
still got get motivated yet. found some old 3 and 5 gallon planters while diggin thru storage at my folks. my ma said she had some i just had go diggin for them. lol
they pretty neat. i wish i had the room to grow MJ in these inside lol.
i'll prolly use the 5 gal's for the tomatoes n the 3 for the peppers.
wat happens if ya start tomatoes as late as i am. ?

It's not late at all. Alot of people start thier tomatos and peppers in the garden from seed and they haven't gone any further than tilling and amending the soil. My tomatos are about 18 inchs tall and still in 16 oz. cups.The temps here are still dropping to the upper 30's lower 40's at night so I haven't put them in the ground yet. I have all my seedlings in my green house getting used to the sun. I dont usually put them in the ground untill I'm ready to take the cover off the greenhouse because it affords me the option of removing the plants on a particularly warm day while maintaining the cover for the dropping night temps.
I think your pot sizes should be fine. I've never grown peppers in containers but 3 gal. should be fine. I grow my peppers in two 4x4 raised beds. I put 1 plant per square foot. You might think it would be overcrowded but it's not. Also denser planting reduces the opportunity for weed growth.
Iv'e never grown large tomatos in containers but they should do fine as long as they get plenty of sun and water. I have grown cherry tomatos in 5 gal. buckets and they grew great, but like I said alot of water. I usualy water early in the morning then again in the late afternoon/early evening. One of the advantages of growing in pots is the convenience of having them up on the deck so I could pick a few when I gather from my potted herbs. I love garden season:D
Best of luck to everyone in thier gardens.:)

well at least i still got some hope then huh, cubby? lol

Good luck Zip..Big Boys are nice..be sure to throw up some pics when they break soil..I am interested in seeing the Patio grow..:lama: I have mine in now and will be posting pics soon..take care and be safe

i aint guaranteein i'll succeen wit anythi worth writin home about but i'm sure gonna give her a try 4u...
closest i came to actual gardenin was pikin all my grandmas carrots an peas when she had a garden as i was a kid lol.
i never really thought much bout it but when i got them goin im a have to prolly bring em inside to take pix an all. i just dont feel comfy wit havin my outside patio or back yard in pix on here. but they'll all be in seperate planters tho for sure so it wont be too hard. we'll see when time comes i guess.
but thanks for the good luk 4u
and to you as well.

ok. i'm in again this season. planted my tomatoes in the garden today. put in 8 big boys, 8 early girls, and some sweet 100 cherry toms. we vegged them inside to 8 inches.

remember our giant tomatoe last season?;) :) ...bb...

sweet. this time my tom seeds came up. got 8 goin. the peppers seem to be lagging tho. i ca see just teeny lil heads gettin ready to pop.
gonna have to go do some readin on tomatoes now lol.
keep ya all updated prolly when i put em in planters then.

well still waiting on planters ...will be putting some bigboy and early girl into the garden today that we got from nursery will try and post some pics this evening..will do pics of the upside down planters soon as they get here..shoulda just bought them at wally world i guess:D

good day

well i decided to add my pellet dome to my grow room for time being. kinda got crowded all a sudden.
but how long have you all observed bell peppers taking before they sprout from seed? these lil buggers seem to be takin forever but ya can see lil lite green dots pokin up out each pellet so they all comin. now i'm in like flynn. :D

zipflip said:
well i decided to add my pellet dome to my grow room for time being. kinda got crowded all a sudden.
but how long have you all observed bell peppers taking before they sprout from seed? these lil buggers seem to be takin forever but ya can see lil lite green dots pokin up out each pellet so they all comin. now i'm in like flynn. :D

I've started mine from seed, and just about the time you think nothings gonna' come up they start showing themselves, usually about ten days. Then when they start showing their little green selves it can take another week to ten days before they actualy look like plants. Just hang in there, if you can see anything emmerging it probably wont take much longer.
Best of luck:D

yeah zip, cubby is dead on.:) . they are slow going from seed. typically ,10 days to sprout.

we vegged ours inside for awhile b4 putting them out in the garden. seems like it was around first part of march we began doing several veggies from seed. it broke up the winter blues.

you can grow mj, you can grow veggies. :watchplant: ...bb...

I just put 20 tomatos in the ground, in my green house because we are still seeing nightime lows in the 40's. I've also got 40 peppers ,still in pots, setting in my greenhouse. I built 2 new raised beds today. One for the peppers and one for onions. Went thru 4 bowls and a case and a half of homebrew,fairly productive day. Got a turkey breast and some homemade bread in the oven 'bout time to smoke one more and call it a day.
Best of luck gardeners.

Latest posts

Back