leafs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbawhale

Reaction score
Hi folks, my girls are five weeks into flower and they have a very strange looking substance on they're leaves, Its clear and looks like small bubbles of some form of liquid. I just bought my first pocket microscope so maybe this is normal and I just haven't seen it before, I don't know. The closer you get to the pistols(sp.) the more of this is evident. This is my 4th grow(inside, in my grow room) so I'm not to good at it just yet but "with a little help from me friends" I'm getting better all the time. Thanks for your time.

Larry:icon_smile:

Do you see them with the naked eye, or just through the scope?

Lol thats what iI was thinking Roddy,but 4 grows in and never seen trichs???

It is very possible that it's trichs as I don't know if I have seen them, as I said I just bought my first microscope. I'm not really to computer savy Rosebud, so I don't know how to take a picture but my wife is pretty good so when she gets home from work I'll see if she will help me take pictures. My last two grow's were ak47 and I let them go to far and got "couch lock" about every time I smoked some and that's why I bought me a microscope. This grow is Permafrost so maybe it's suppose to look that way, but Lemon and Roddy might be right, I'm an amature that's for sure. Thanks all.

Larry

sounds like trichs to me too but without a pic its hard to say, i sometimes see trichs form early on large fan leaves.

PM will look like someone dumped flour on your leaves, it wont be clear.

Sorry about the quality of the photos guy's but that is as good as it gets. I am barely able to get them to you as it is because of my inability to use this computer. Look at the buds in the background, it gives you a better idea of the color and texture of the plant itself. Thanks again.

Larry

DSCF4519.JPG

DSCF4532.JPG

DSCF4537.JPG

DSCF4538.JPG

I just got to look at the pictures I posted and they are worse then I expected but without a lot of help I never would have gotten them on the forum to begin with. I think you can get a general idea from the look of them. thanks.

Larry

If the little bubbles that you are seeing are on top of little stems like shiny clear lollipops then you are indeed looking at the "resin glands" known as trichomes, that you are hoping to get lots of when you harvest. Those will be what you need to watch as the time gets closer to the standard harvest time of that strain. When she reaches full maturity you will see those little bubbles swell and become "milky" looking.

When you can look all over the uppermost buds and see 90% or more are completely milky, with maybe a few turning amber colored, then you have reached peak harvest. The more of those amber colored bubbles you see, the more couchlock you will get from them. If you like the heady buzz then try to let them get as milky as possible without having more than about 10% amber then harvest :)

I just took a closer look at the pics. In my opinion you are a little rich on the nutrients. The burnt looking tips and very dark green leaves are a good sign that they are overnuted. Also they look like the leaf margins are a little curled and discolored, that is possibly a sign of magnesium deficiency starting to show. If you are feeding them I would back off from using anymore nitrogen and just feed with bloom nutes and probably give them some cal/mag for good measure. :)

Thanks Hushpuppy, I thought I was over feeding them myself so I will start to give them just rain water. I have read a lot of posts on this forum and always thought the trichomes were on the pistols(sp). These do look like little lollypops with the microscope but they are on the leaves and there are more of it every day. Is my time line about right,12\12 light on 11\11, flowers started 22\11, that means it's been one month on 12\12 light? The little ball on top is clear now and kind of small but everyday the buds get thicker and thicker with this substance, it doesn't appear to be hurting them can you tell me how close I am to harvest, approximately ofcourse? Thanks alot folks for all the help.

Larry

Over a month would be my guess, they take at least 8 weeks and up! They look to be about 4-5 weeks in, those buds will likely double in size...or more before the end! The trichs all over is a good thing, no worries there!

The last few weeks will really show some bud production, wait it out and watch for great results!!

Yeah I would agree with Roddy on schedule. Like you I thought the trichomes were the white pistel hairs but after doing some serious study I learned the difference. Some strains don't have as much in the way of that snowy look from all those trichs forming on the leaves. Most of the white strains and a lot of the kush strains will have a lot of resin glands(trichomes) form on the leaves.

Don't touch them if you can help it. As they age and mature the glands will really swell and if you touch them they will burst and your fingers will get gummy from it. If you want to make a little "finger hash", you could run yer fingers over the lower buds that are showing good frost and get them good and gummy. Then put yer fingers in ice water for a minute and peel off the resin, dry it a bit and roll it into a ball and smoke it. Very nice little bonus from when you handle them when harvesting. :)

Thanks all, there is a lot more to this particular sport than meets the eye and I don't think I'll ever know it all(pun intended). I have ask this particular question before and all I have received is mild scorn, some folks even ignored me so maybe one of you will see fit to educate a dum dum such as myself. I see and hear folks talking about triming buds, am I wrong in assuming that if the trichromes are on the leaves and the majority of the thc is in the trichromes(?) your throughing away alot of good smokable material? This is the one that shuts people down, ready, do you smoke the leaves? I always have but again, what do I know, not much. I have never delt with this quality of pot and always grew outside in cold country so I never got buds to speak of. Again, they talk about triming the leaves from the buds, is this for sale purposes or what am I missing? Thanks again and I can't wait 4 to 5 more weeks, I'm like a kid in a candy store or maybe a child right before Christmas, I'm anxious as heck to see how this grow turns out, I have 8 clones already under floros with good root systems. I smoked a little so I'm rambling, now I'll shut up and say goodnight to all.

Larry

Hey Bubbawhale, Trimming leaves from the buds is to help the bud 'cure' better for a better tasting smoke. The leaves with 'crystals' are worth keeping! I dry mine in a paper bag and save seperately for rolling joints. The leaves have a different taste and can be harsh if not dried and cured properly. Some people make hash out of the small crystal covered leaves but that is too much work for me... every now and then a strong joint is fun! The bigger leaves with no crystals I use for compost in grandma's tomato garden... she likes the smell and says her tomatoes taste better! LOL!

BTW: Pics look nice... a little nute fried, back off the Nitrogen and should be good... MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I never smoke leaf material. IMO, it is harsh and smokes nasty no matter how it is cured. When I trim my plants I trim absolutely every bit of leaf material off that I can. All the larger fan leaves get thrown away. The small leaves around the buds I save and make bubble hash. Bubble hash is really quite easy to make.

Latest posts

Back