length of veg time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAGMAN007

Reaction score
I am 38 days into a ( by the book) TLO grow my first. I am growing Super Skunk, Strawberry Cough and White Widow Max. I have noticed most chemical feeding schedules are based on 5-6 week veging then 8-10 weeks flowering. the breeder ,NL Seeds says these strains require a 55 day veg before flowering. My question is must I wait for the 55 days before starting flowering stage or will it hurt to start flowering at present 5 1/2 weeks. I have about 18 inches of growth on the tallest plants.
Thanks WagMan :holysheep:

Weed is proof that God loves us and wants us to be Happy

38 days 008.JPG

38 days 007.JPG

38 days 003.JPG

No, but if not sexually mature, it will have to mature and then it'll bloom properly under 12/12.

Do you see any preflowers?

I don't see any sign yet these plants are all regular seeds so I will probably
loose about 50% of the 30 plants to males.
thanks WAGMAN

as long as the plant has alternating nodes its good to go into flower, it may not show preflowers at all in veg its really depends on strain and length vegged, iv had plants vegging for over 3 months and never showed preflowers untill week 2 of 12/12, personaly when they are the size i like and have alternating nodes i put them into flower, never heard of a specific veg time, maybe its till it matures and alternates/preflowers, the 5-6 week veg time the breeder its talking about, but honestly after about 4 weeks i throw em in flower, some longer and some shorter, depends on what im lookin for. but all in all those look about big enough for my liking to throw into flower anytime now.

yeah, the first clone-only I got my hands (45-50 day skunk) on never exhibited female preflowers so I kinda have to agree with that.

But since I've grown from seed, I see preflowers on those. MAybe I wasn't overly observant back then ...

All my girls veg 8 weeks as their sisters flower for 8 weeks and a spot opens up. Then, it happens again.

I only veggeed my clones 2 weeks before flipping them. I have to keep them about 18 inches for the space I have.

Are you sure you read that right? Could you link where it says you need a 55 day vegging period? I have never seen breeders recommend a minimum vegging time. You can put your plants into flowering any time you want. They just won't flower until they are sexually mature. In addition, 55 days seems like quite a long veg....

I have also read where some breeder's have recommended a minimum veg time

as the Hemp Goddess requested here is the link

[URL="http://www.hempdepot.ca/seeds/KOS/CapPeeler.html

You must realize that indica-dominant strains may grow very little once flowering is initiated, while sativa-dominant strains may triple or even quadruple in size before finishing. Thus, the length of time spent in the vegetative-growth stage needs to be adjusted accordingly for each plant.

All my indicas almost double in size- some more some less.... its not just sativas that stretch.

supercrop muh friend

Like ToA said, once you have alternating nodes you are ready to flip regardless if you have preflowers yet. A couple days after the flip you should be able to see if you have a male or female.

Those plants are ready when you are. Are you sure they didn't say 55 day flowering period.

WAGMAN007 said:
I am 38 days into a ( by the book) TLO grow my first. I am growing Super Skunk, Strawberry Cough and White Widow Max. I have noticed most chemical feeding schedules are based on 5-6 week veging then 8-10 weeks flowering. the breeder ,NL Seeds says these strains require a 55 day veg before flowering. My question is must I wait for the 55 days before starting flowering stage or will it hurt to start flowering at present 5 1/2 weeks. I have about 18 inches of growth on the tallest plants.
Thanks WagMan :holysheep:

Weed is proof that God loves us and wants us to be Happy
Flip it to 12/12

What it actually says is to veg at least 55 days for maximum resin production. However, you can veg however long you want. If the plants are sexually mature and ready to flower, IMO whether you have vegged 49 days or 60 days really probably won't make a difference in resin production (which is a product of flowering) other than plants vegged longer are larger, so the resulting plants should be larger. I would like to see something that links resin production to how long you have vegged--I have never ever seen any such studies.

As a matter of fact, i have a couple plants that sat in the veg room for 2 cycles and are now 16 weeks of veg time. These two "bushes" will each get its own 600 to flower under. I love big plants......

johnnylongjohns said:
As a matter of fact, i have a couple plants that sat in the veg room for 2 cycles and are now 16 weeks of veg time. These two "bushes" will each get its own 600 to flower under. I love big plants......

With that veg time, I'm thinking that we should call them trees, not bushes. Do you find it worthwhile to veg for twice as long or do you just like bigger plants?

Latest posts

Back