light and darkness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss#123

Reaction score
I am a total newbie, when and how much light and darkness do I give my plants ? They are about 15 " tall

Welcome Hoss, looks like you need to do some reading up. I veg my plants under 18/6 and flower them under 12/12. Some strains will double or even triple in flower. It is up to you how you want to do it. Let us know how we can help. Congrats on starting to grow. it is a fabulous hobby or obsession.

Think Rosebud covered it pretty good.
What lights are you using?

Welcome Hoss, looks like you need to do some reading up. I veg my plants under 18/6 and flower them under 12/12. Some strains will double or even triple in flower. It is up to you how you want to do it. Let us know how we can help. Congrats on starting to grow. it is a fabulous hobby or obsession.
Thanks

You can veg up to 24 hours of light per day. It's a matter of preference, but keep it consistent by using a dependable timer.
When you flower, the dark period had to be completely dark to prevent self-pollination. So no spying on them while they are sleeping, and check that there's no light coming from your vent ducts or the crack under the door.
Have fun!

18/6 and 12/12, same light schedule that I use and like the best. Some veg under 24 on.

You can veg up to 24 hours of light per day. It's a matter of preference, but keep it consistent by using a dependable timer.
When you flower, the dark period had to be completely dark to prevent self-pollination. So no spying on them while they are sleeping, and check that there's no light coming from your vent ducts or the crack under the door.
Have fun!

Sounds like 24 haven’t done any harm. I think I will stay with this. I am going to be moving them outside when temps warm up. Would you recommend doing a light dark schedule for a bit before doing that.

Sounds like 24 haven’t done any harm. I think I will stay with this. I am going to be moving them outside when temps warm up. Would you recommend doing a light dark schedule for a bit before doing that.
Permanently outside? I'm not an outdoor grower but be careful about putting them out too early if you have already triggered flower, which will affect how and when they decide to go about it. You dont want them getting any big ideas prematurely.
Do people switch the lights before the plants go outdoors? Yes. When I've seen that done, it was intentionally manipulating them to start early and hit the outdoor flower initiation date running to compensate for a region with a short growing season.
But you definitely want to get some advice from one of the hardcore outdoor members on that one.

Latest posts

Back