lights or sun ????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noelk

Experimental member
Reaction score
Hi all,ive just started a new grow and what i need to know is if i can alternate between sun and florecent ,between the two there is 12 hours of decent sunlight (i live in south Spain) and then when the sun goes down it starts to get a little cooler so i bring them indoors and leave them for another 4 or5 hours sometimes more ,does it matter that the hours of light are not exactly 16 or 18 hours?? Thanks before hand,and as everyone knows here we have a wicked site.:confused:

probably not. How long does it take you to get them indoors and under the lights?

what strength are the fluros?

noelk,switching from sun to floros could stress them causing more males.Ive done it with clones but its not recomemded.As far as hours per day you should really keep the cycles the same ,again very stressful and they can hermie of turn male.You are much better off to leave them under the lights.Good Luck & Stay Safe!!

i did that in the summer here in the uk and imo they were just fine ,,switching between the sun and cfls ,,,,just make sure you have enough lumens inside and once in flower do not disrupt the dark cycle,,,jmo :peace:

O k ,thanks ive stil got them in vegetation so there is bit of time yet before i want them to flower,to get them under lights it takes about 30secs and i do it before it is dark (15mins) and that is when they stay until i turn the lights of after 16 17 hours of light,the darkness i dont interupt at all,so they should be ok,shouldnt they?????

They should be fine:). I like to put my babies in full sunlight on sunny days and they actually seem to like it.

yeah,i have seen nothing but great results when doing 8 hours of sunlight and 16 hours under fluoros.of course now the set up is different,but when i had them under only 2 fluoros they did well but not nearly as well as when i started putting them in the sun.one should watch out for the stressing also,as stated above,but to cancel that i would make sure the cycle is strict.

I have done it many times and my plants love it,,,,BUT,,I have lots of lumens already on them inside, so the sunlight shouldnt shock them. :D

I dont do it anymore because it is a pain in the *** as they get bigger.

Great,now i feel more confident that i can leave them in sun and clf´s and i´ ll keep the cycle strict,even though it is a pain moving them in and out i just think of the end results and it all seems so easy,lol i wouldnt mind moving them a mile everyday if i could get the results some of you guys and gals acheive.Cheers all for the info

moving them a mile on the daily might be a little inefficient as i am speaking of moving from grow room to a local window.in the end you might just wanna invest in some more lights with the money you use in gas to travel to this site.if that is even the case.
also cowboy your right on the bigger they get.haha get so big everyone can tell what they are if they get to see the goods by accident.
i use to put them under the sun starting the second week,and they didnt go over the seal,then of course they start peeking over the seal and creeping ever quick taller and taller,making it impossible to put a foot tall plant in any window.even in windows where ppl are not likely to be,if someone happens to its to much of a risk.thats what gets ya in the end,mainly randomness.the randomness that dictates us all.

Listen,,the truth is,,Full Sun will always be better for MJ plants,,,but if we could grow outside,,ID say a large number of people would still do both. Inside and outside. Why? Because its so much fun growen these girls with more control of her growing conditions.:hubba:

I dont know dude. from my experiance, switching lighting has been a bad thing, especially when you start them indoors. I always assumed that they were trying to adjust to different light intensities and thats the reason my plants have gotten shocked.

But if everyone else has had good success maybe you should give it a try and if they do start to stress and the growth becomes slow, i'd recommend moving them under your flouros.

Well it looks like there are 2 lines of thought on this subject,so what to do ??I´ll have a go at what i,m doing now and see if goes ok,how can i tell if they are stressed, is slow growth the only sign?and when they are in vegative growth and stressed will that affect them towards being hermie or male?

Listen I dont know about the stress thing caused by Sunlight. I never heard of SunLight stressing a MJ plant,,but who knows about these little bugers. Sometimes they are just not good stong plants and they get stressed no matter what,, I suppose. But I have never had a problem with to much Sunlight stressing an indoor plant, weed or tomato or whatever plant. Thats not to say it hasnt happen to someone,,but my guess is,,is that that petucular plant had some other issues, besides the fact that it was grown inside and was taken out into the sun.
Now as I said before,,if that plant was started inside and is not getting enough light as it is,,then it might stress it to be popped inti full Sun,,but even then I would expect it to be fine. I have heard this before though,,just never seen it actully hurt a plant. So untill someone can prove this thing to me,,I will go with the Sun will not Stess your plant,,,Unless it burns it up from lack of water.;)

noneedforalarm said:
moving them a mile on the daily might be a little inefficient as i am speaking of moving from grow room to a local window.in the end you might just wanna invest in some more lights with the money you use in gas to travel to this site.if that is even the case.
also cowboy your right on the bigger they get.haha get so big everyone can tell what they are if they get to see the goods by accident.
i use to put them under the sun starting the second week,and they didnt go over the seal,then of course they start peeking over the seal and creeping ever quick taller and taller,making it impossible to put a foot tall plant in any window.even in windows where ppl are not likely to be,if someone happens to its to much of a risk.thats what gets ya in the end,mainly randomness.the randomness that dictates us all.
Estás chalao tio,,, ha ha

Latest posts

Back