makeing a clone a mother.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depetreono

Reaction score
My mother plant is huge and I was thinking when I do my next batch of clones I start a new mother plant. Is there any negative effects with doing this?

Nope. Not at all lots of people just grow clones then take clones from them and flower there big clones and so on.

No that shouldn't be any problem. You can do it either way or both ways. I actually do it both ways by taking my clones and keeping a couple mothers as insurance in the event that I lose a whole crop. I just pull clones from the mom about 2-3 times and then flower them if they are ok and put aside 2 new moms from the last batch of clones. I have the room to have some moms and its more convenient to have them if there is room.

Cloning from clones locks you into a tight time frame of turn over. If you are doing a perpetual harvest it is easier to do clone from clone as it works out to run plants back to back, but if you are not doing perpetual having a mom is more convenient (IMO) :)

Thanks guys. If you don't mind I had one more question. My trichomes are just turning cloudy, and I was curious how long until I start to see them turning amber.

I always replace my moms with a fresh clone after they get to a certain size. And the moms usually flower out well since they are usually a cpl months old by the time I replace them. .....kind of a win win.:)

Yeah the mother I have is almost six feet tall and about three feet wide. I'm excited to flower it.

nothing like throwing a mother into flower---bigger, bader, better is always good---perpetual harvest rocks when you got the right strain---and---there is nothing like putting an old mare out to pasture---:D

depetreono said:
Thanks guys. If you don't mind I had one more question. My trichomes are just turning cloudy, and I was curious how long until I start to see them turning amber.
I'm no expert on this but it seems to vary a bit from strain to strain, and according to health of plant, environment, yada yada. But I would say that if they are just starting to cloud up then you have about 5-10 days until they start to turn amber, maybe a bit longer. I would be looking at them everyday at this point to check for development and watching for nanners(not neccessarily a problem but I watch for them anyway) :)

depetreono said:
Yeah the mother I have is almost six feet tall and about three feet wide. I'm excited to flower it.

Yow!!! You really ought to read the *Bonsai Moms* sticky in the Cultivation forum.

What I did was take a decent amount of clones (9-12 IIRC). and once well rooted and in 1 gal containers, I topped them. Then, I started LST and training them. The 2 that came out the nicest AFA shape/growth become new moms. The others get flowered out, no sense wasting all that training/trimming/LST.

Pretty much what Hammy's doing, except maybe only once a year or so. I keep them in the 1gal pots and no more than 1 1/2' tall.

Wet

Yeah the moms a beast. I have it in the closet by itself and its hitting the shelf that's above the bar your clothes hangers go on. I'll have to post you a pic. But I want to see how much just that one will produce.

Last question. Iv heard takin clones from the lower part of the plant was better opposed to the top I believe it was due to more hormones in lower region. Any comments on this.

Some say they root faster some say they dont really notice. It really only makes a miniscule difference. Clones from the top still root just fine.

Latest posts

Back