MG Seed Starting Potting Mix.. 5 for 5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPEARCHUCKER

Leavin'ya Bowlegged
Reaction score
I went ahead and got a bag of Miracle Gro Seed Starting Potting Mix.
Put the beans in 1/2 inch deep. Might have actually been too deep for it. So I just put one more in at 1/4. Just covering.

Soil is good. When wet, playing and poking around at it is kind of like doing it to a ground up paper towel. Held water very good.

1st bean broke soil at 52 hours. Which was a shock, because it was the one bean I was mad about getting. Was 1/4 the size of the others, thought it was immature.
2nd broke ground at 56 hours. And broke it hard. Just a few hours past and it had passed the first in size.
3rd came soon after I guess at 58 hours or so.
4th and 5th. Reason I think I was putting them to deep. Thought they wernt going to germ at all. But took a toothpick to the soil shuffling around. And up pops the top of them. Soil holding them down.
Soil draws and packs itself tight when wet. Like I said, a bunch of ground up papertowels.

Its sold me on it. Im going to continue using it in the future.
The beans I was using were Russian Rocket Fuels.
After 24 hours of leaving it in darkness soaking wet in the mix. I took the beans and put them under 4 23w CFLs. Mainly for warmth. 2 5500 color temp, 2 2700 color temp.
The containers were little Styrofoam coffee cups. Might be 6oz.
For 2 of them I cut the cups in half, just tinkering around. Those sprouted 1st and last.

hmm maybe I will try that soil. it has to be cheaper than what I buy normally. But when you trasnplant will you remove it or just keep it on the roots and ad the reg soil?

dont know if I have seen that soil would home depot have it? thanks spears!

They sell it everywhere 2Dog.
Not in the big huge bags. Just the 8quart bags or whatever it is.
Cant remember the cost. But I think like 4 bucks at most.

And Im just leaving it with it. When I transplant. Going to fill the pot up with regular soil till the cup level will reach the top of the pot. Then set the cup in and pack the soil around it. After that, just swipe the cup off with a boxcutter and set it in the hole.

It was well worth the 4 bucks to experiment with.

thats why I havent seen it I always go to the big bags lmao. ty

Latest posts

Back