Miracle Grow Madness!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GSS glad to see youre doing this thread as there are ppl out there that need to do it as cheap as possible due to finances & what not. so let me get this straight. youre using MG soil w/ nutes. what are your mixing ratios of these nutes? i know you arent going w/ their recommendations. so what have you found out that should be a 100% feed rate? also are you waiting three months b4 you feed? i believe thats what their time release is good for. i know degenerative disc grows this way & it sucks that MG has been given a bad rap. i too have bad mouthed them on several occasions, but that was from my experience w/ their "organic" line. thanks alot GSS.

docfishwrinkle said:
GSS glad to see youre doing this thread as there are ppl out there that need to do it as cheap as possible due to finances & what not. so let me get this straight. youre using MG soil w/ nutes. what are your mixing ratios of these nutes? i know you arent going w/ their recommendations. so what have you found out that should be a 100% feed rate? also are you waiting three months b4 you feed? i believe thats what their time release is good for. i know degenerative disc grows this way & it sucks that MG has been given a bad rap. i too have bad mouthed them on several occasions, but that was from my experience w/ their "organic" line. thanks alot GSS.

Hey doc!! I am using MG 3 month potting soil. I start the seedlings in their seed starter soil (only use that till you get your first true set of leaves and then transplant) I use 1/4tsp superthrive once a week for the seedlings. During transplant they get 1/4 cap ful per gallon of the quickstart only once and straight water for 2-3 weeks after transplant. When I feed in veg I start with 1tsp per gallon and work my way up to 1/2tbl per gallon if there are no signs of issues. It depends on the strain how much they want. I get the soil started by only adding a tiny bit of perlite and 1/2 cup per large bag of dolomite lime. Believe it or not the MG soil is pretty fluffy without perlite. In flower I use the bloom booster at about 3 weeks in and then again in a couple weeks. I only use 1/2 tbl per gallon of that. If they need a little more I may give them a feeding every 2 weeks, if not than I don't.

cool, thanks man. have you seen the MG perlite w/ nutes in it? i needed some perlite in a pinch & i went to every store i could think of & man MG has the market cornered w/ this stuff. nobody & i mean nobody had plain ol perlite. my nursery i usually go to was in the process of stocking up for the season. i only buy from her cause she does me good. 3cuft of perlite for $15!! thats a huge bag! anyhow thanks again for the info.

I have seen the MG perlite before and I think it would be fine to use. Personally I would put what I am going to use in a strainer and wash it all real good and then let it dry out. I get my perlite from the local grow shop which isn't treated. I don't like treated perlite, and I am not particularly fond of treated soil, but if you are careful with it than it will be fine.

godspeedsuckah said:
I have seen the MG perlite before and I think it would be fine to use. Personally I would put what I am going to use in a strainer and wash it all real good and then let it dry out. I get my perlite from the local grow shop which isn't treated. I don't like treated perlite, and I am not particularly fond of treated soil, but if you are careful with it than it will be fine.

I hadnt given thought to washing perlite. Actually I bought my first bag of it out of curiosity yesterday. I went out and sifted (¼ hardware cloth-I will be making a 3½ horsepower sifter soon) some compost, added a little soil and then added some perlite. I felt all professional there for a moment. I guess the perlite is to help prevent soil compaction and retain some water?

doc, gss, TM morning men.:)

thats all i use is this perlite with mg in it. it's all i can find.:eek: ...the greenhouses around here are run by old misers, that wont even speak of selling any grow materials to you??? wt? serious. ever hear such a thing? i have no clue as to why either, cause all they do is grunt when spoken to.;) ...damn pig farmers...

actually, the mg perlite is all i have ever used, because its all i can get, and you've all seen my results. i'll throw the kitchen sink in there if its all i can get my hands on. lol. lol...

i follow the K.I.S.S. plan.:hubba:

I will have to give it a try Dankster ;). I still have half a bag left of perlite, so when I am out I will pick some up.

Dank Don said:
doc, gss, TM morning men.:)

the greenhouses around here are run by old misers, that wont even speak of selling any grow materials to you??? wt? serious. ever hear such a thing? i have no clue as to why either, cause all they do is grunt when spoken to.;) ...damn pig farmers...

LMAO!! There are a couple places around here like that.

TexasMonster said:
I hadnt given thought to washing perlite. Actually I bought my first bag of it out of curiosity yesterday. I went out and sifted (¼ hardware cloth-I will be making a 3½ horsepower sifter soon) some compost, added a little soil and then added some perlite. I felt all professional there for a moment. I guess the perlite is to help prevent soil compaction and retain some water?

Hey TM. Yeah the perlite helps with soil compaction and also water retention. I only use a little bit, maybe 1/2 cup per large bag of soil. The soil is pretty fluffy as it is and so long as you don't over water you should be fine.

docfishwrinkle said:

I forgot to mention that I don't like the organic line either. I had a huge problem with bugs in the soil. I also forgot to mention that today I did a test on the bloom buster. 1 gallon of my RO water has an ec of .03 and if you follow the directions on the back for feeding my ec is 1.25; so it is important to start out real light and gradually work your way up.

i use a half of one of those bags of the mg perlite, to a 1 cubic yard bag of soil. then some other goodies too...

i'ma throw an idea out there bro. maybe you should add a couple flushes into your feeding schedules. not a 'total' flush, just a good soaker quick flush? you'll want to get the jump on any problems before they arise. so, in adding the salts flush into the program, your plants will use what they need, and your flushing out the waste before it has a chance to turn south...

i've never used all mg inside, so maybe i'm off base. i know you go longer periods before the next feed, where you would normally had already nuted several times. myself, i would nute twice in a 4 week veg period, then do a scheduled flush, whether they look like they need one, or not...make any sense brother?

now let me tell ya:) , thats all i've ever used outdoors on my many years of grows; miracle grow products. i have had extaordinary results outside with mg nutes. i used flora nova outdoors last year, and spent some hard earned coin on an abundance of it. never again! that grow was stolen, and i can't get over how much i lost in nutes alone! now, i'm into mixing up my own nutes for my outdoors. that is if i can ever actually achieve another harvest outdoors that is'nt taken. it's all a crap shoot now...

hope that gets ya to thinking about it a lil more bro. work that flush in there, thats how i would work her...

Latest posts

Back