Mites-Do they live through freezing temps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunkin2

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've had two great grows the pass two seasons (thanks to this forum) (spring 07' & 08'). But last season I encountered mites which I controlled to a point but at harvest I still had'em. I was wondering about winter freezing temps as I grow in a box 6' x 5' x 6'. this box is in a shed without heat and freezes during winter. does this kill off any larva, mites, eggs left behind from last year. I washed all my pots, the inside of the box and anything else that may be part of the inside of the grow box. using soap & water. Am I ok to start another grow as my seads are germing as I speak.
I'm happy to begin the next season with you guys. Peace

Eggs survive winter.

I found this while searching mites and frost, it is from 'the old farmers almanac'

Douse them with cold water. Mites hate cold baths and will head for the hills if you spray them with water that is between 32 degrees and 40 degrees F. If you find an infested plant, attack with ice water. Keep a spray bottle in the refrigerator and mist once or twice a day until the mites are all gone

:peace:

omg you ppl seriose.1st of all no thy will not come Back..ya washed ya stuff ya rid of them........and if ya had mites thy came from either ya soil or an infected plant...i seen strawberries with um...

hick ***
he said he washed everything and you think thy will be back.....aare you a moron?

Mites-Do they live through freezing temps?...........this box is in a shed without heat and freezes during winter. does this kill off any larva, mites, eggs left behind from last year
yes.. they re appear after winter freeze.
he "asked" if freezing temps killed them..
bnightclown said:
and if ya had mites thy came from either ya soil or an infected plant..
they can come in through air vents, on pets, on "YOU"...:rolleyes:

bnightclown said:
hick ***
he said he washed everything and you think thy will be back.....aare you a moron?
I'm not the one sporting "one" red square... :rofl:
"I".... would still bug bomb AND disinfect "everything" with a dilluted bleach solution before I started anything, regardless of "Bozo's" incredibly helpful and informative post.. :)

OMG Hick, what are ya, some kinda idiot?????? Almost sounds like a personal vendetta. And if cold weather killed mites and larva, would'nt there be NO more mites after 1 good winter??

Friend-of-a-friend said:
And if cold weather killed mites and larva, would'nt there be NO more mites after 1 good winter??

Just what I'm thinking--thank you.

the durty little buggers would survive an atom bomb but not westlands pest spray end of mites once and for all and only 4 quid a litre. now on my 4th mite free grow
skallie

My train of thought on mites is persistance.
Be more persistent then they are. As soon as your plant/seedling is well established (4-6"), then start a regimine of treatment, even if you don't believe you have them. There are a number of products that help, with the basics such as neem oil,avid,pyrithium and even you grandmas old skool wives tail could work. But I truly believe that changing up your treatments every 2-3 "plant treatment" is the way to go and be 100% safe.

I have been lucky with a few products that work well for a bit, but eventually, you will get them again. Changing up products and treating the plants every few days ensures success,imo.

It has been sometime since I have had pests. I've had just about all of the problems you can. Isolation, mixed treatments, natural predators, I've tried just about everything. I now sterilize everything after every grow. No pests so far. Because it is easier to keep them out, than it is to get rid of them. :cool:

hick...wow ya banned me?it ok.i did have lots of fun on the rollitup forum.ther are alot ppl out ther hick that are pros.don't get mad.i want your opinion hick!!!i have herd many idea's about misting a plant in say; 6 weeks in.do you belive hick mold will form on ya buds in a good flower mode or do you think the spray bottle can be used'd till the end? again ty for the ban..

you will get stuff in soil...not Big deal ppl.ladybugs eat mites and if thy eat ya bud thy be dead lol...don't spray the soap or anything on um.damn ya growing inside just deal with it..mites are no big deal unless ther are millions.trillions ect....show us pic of ya mite ..

a post from hXXp://www.backyardgardener.com/tv/spidermite.html

"What makes this pest truly difficult to control is its rate of reproduction. Each female will lay up to 12 eggs per day. Mating is not required for egg production. At 21ºC, these eggs will hatch in as few as 3 days and will develop into adults in only 14 days. If left unchecked, 10 spider mites in May will become 100,000 by July!"

bnightclown said:
hick...wow ya banned me?it ok.i did have lots of fun on the rollitup forum.ther are alot ppl out ther hick that are pros.don't get mad.i want your opinion hick!!!i have herd many idea's about misting a plant in say; 6 weeks in.do you belive hick mold will form on ya buds in a good flower mode or do you think the spray bottle can be used'd till the end? again ty for the ban..

I "banned" you for the name calling and cursing, "not" for being wrong :hubba:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Site_Rules.html <--- "click".. and READ

Hick said:
yes.. they re appear after winter freeze. Maybe bug bomb, then disinfect(bleach) and repaint..

Yeah...I think a bug bomb is a good idea. I imagine anything that kills fleas/roaches will iill mites too...

Bombs with pyrethrins usually dissipate within hours. Pyrethrins are either made from pyrethrums--chrysanthemums, marigolds, etc.--or synthesized to mimic these plants. They are very potent against insects for a short period of time making them ideal for treating stored products, restaurant applications and food applications. Ask Mr. Wizard, huh?

bnightclown said:
you will get stuff in soil...not Big deal ppl.ladybugs eat mites and if thy eat ya bud thy be dead lol...don't spray the soap or anything on um.damn ya growing inside just deal with it..mites are no big deal unless ther are millions.trillions ect....show us pic of ya mite ..

This entire statement is false. Mites can devastate a harvest.

Latest posts

Back