moonlight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SkunkPatronus said:
It takes a certain amount of time for the plant to switch from daylight respiration(co2 in o2 out) to dark respitation(o2 in co2 out), and when it has done that, if you make it switch back again(by adding light) it will hermie. Someone once told me that without light plants switch to dark respiration in less than 10 minutes... and it is this that is the mechanical mechanism that keeps them thinking that it's June 21 or later in the year. They have to stay in the dark to breath o2 and break down the carbs it made in the light and use them in the dark... so they have to stay in the dark, Period... Green light doesn't count because pot plants don't 'see' green light, but it has to be a real green light, not a coated light bulb. Led greens are a tru green... but i woudn't do it at all, because you are playing with fire, and you might be playing with nanners soon after...

Hello SkunkPatronus!

Always enjoy reading your posts. I believe when you refer to "daylight respiration" you are referring to photosynthesis, the process the plant goes through to manufacture it's own food. Photosynthesis is a light dependent reaction in plants- without light it cannot occur. Respiration is when the plant uses those sugars it has created for various metabolic processes, including cellular growth. Respiration is a light independent reaction- it occurs with or without light (that's why plants grow under a 24/0 schedule)- and that is why temperatures are so important to growth- the plant will burn sugars to cool itself, leaving no food for growth.

It is correct that only a plant having the hermi gene has the potential to hermi. Some plants will hermi under the slightest stress; others with the hermi trait could be subjected to numerous stresses and will not self.

Hermaphrodism, while usually caused by light stresses, can however be brought on by other stresses. While interuptions in the dark cycle is perhaps the greatest influence- it is not a definitive one. That is how we can reveg a plant without causing it to hermi.

All that being said-

IRISH said:
i'd go with the no light op dude. a trillion customers can't be wrong.

Happy Growing!:cool:

If a grow room is set up correctly, there is no reason to enter it when the lights are out.

That's the real story.

If you make your grow room light-tight, and just stay out of it when the lights are out, then you'll have no problems.

If you build it so that you have to open it while the lights are out, sooner or later, you're going to have a crop of hermies.

If moonlight bothered plants, the earth would look like the moon.

Honestly, I don't understand this fascination that so many growers have with HAVING to go into their grow room while the lights are out.

If there is some reason you have to go into your grow room while the lights are out, then you have built your grow room wrong. It really is that simple.

Fix it. Don't just keep doing it.

Why is this so difficult for some people to understand? I really don't understand.

Why is this so difficult for some people to understand? I really don't understand.

Because there new at this and trying to learn ;) and learning something new is always difficult at first :)

Also like me lights are out during the day and on at night due to heat probs. work schedules and enviro issues can make this hobby a bit of a PITA :p So they try to find a way to makew it work.
Myself...i let sleeping girls sleep ;)

Mutt said:
Because there new at this and trying to learn and learning something new is always difficult at first
I understand that for the people who are really new, but after reading a hundred times that the dark cycle has to be kept completely dark, I find it strange that some folks STILL want to go into their grow rooms after "lights out", *or* they've set up their grow room in a manner that creates a situation where they *have* to enter it while the lights are out.

It's like someone building a gasoline storage tank and then wanting to have a bonfire on top of it. "Well can't I make a platform and cover it with something so I can light a bonfire on it?" hehe, I guess it's human nature to want to circumvent the common practices.

3rdbase said:
so your saying .....street lights from across the street wouldnt affect a outdoor plant.either........what if my lights just turned off and within 5-6 min i had to turn the overhead light on a couple of time reals quick,,,,,,,will that hermie a plant.......i wont ask anymore on this point but one more good answer would be great:eek:

Research is your friend here. Check out pg128 of MARIJUANA BOTANY in the resources section. To quote part of it:

"It also seems that floral cluster formation is slowed by the full moon. Strong full moonlight is on the borderline of being enough light to cease floral induction entirely........"

My own experience: There is a streetlight across and down the street. Part of my grow was exposed to it, the rest was in the 'shade' of the house and not exposed. All were clones done inside, same strain, and all put out the same day. The clones exposed to this little bit of light took two weeks longer to ripen than the ones that were really in the dark.

Dark really means dark and 12 hours of it.:holysheep:

Go ahead and play with the overhead lights during the dark cycle if you must learn the hard way.:confused: :rolleyes:

DD

i have this vent ducting that seems to have little pin holes in it where i can see light when the lights are off ... i bought it at the hydro shop ...do u know what kind im talking about ...will this light affect the flowering phase

Latest posts

Back