Mother plants...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkfarmer

It's growing like a WEED!
Reaction score
I am curious to know how many members keep mother plants? I have 2 mothers right now, but it is a pain to maintain them.

used to, but with my low veg light i use, it was a pain.
i just take clones (and make sure they're rooted) before i put my plants in bloom now.

Hey kaotik, so you just clone the same strain over and over?

yup
my veg lighting is really only good upto like 12", so no point trying to keep anything big alive in there ;)

kaotik said:
used to, but with my low veg light i use, it was a pain.
i just take clones (and make sure they're rooted) before i put my plants in bloom now.

:yeahthat: I don't have low light issues, but just found it a pita to keep mothers. I also take clones from clones.

Thank HG and kaotik ,what is your oldest strain and how is it holding up?

Ive had a mother plant for some time, mine is under the 4 bulb 2' T5, about 10,000 lumens I believe.

While it can get to be a pain I just keep cutting her down, and removing small inside branches to try and thin is out, other times I hack the top down like pruning a hedge.

Once you've had it for a year or so it can look rather ratty but it still fine for clones.

The prob im having with mine is that the stems are all woody and it doesnt clone so well anymore, and it takes longer to root.

Growdude said:
Ive had a mother plant for some time, mine is under the 4 bulb 2' T5, about 10,000 lumens I believe.

While it can get to be a pain I just keep cutting her down, and removing small inside branches to try and thin is out, other times I hack the top down like pruning a hedge.

Once you've had it for a year or so it can look rather ratty but it still fine for clones.
:yeahthat:

I LST, prune and whatever to keep the moms under 2' tall also under 2' T5 lights. After a year or so when she gets big no matter what you do, I'll pick a really nice clone (growth wise), make a new mom and flower the old one out.

DD

smoky anda bandit said:
The prob im having with mine is that the stems are all woody and it doesnt clone so well anymore, and it takes longer to root.

Take a nice clone with good growth habits and start a new mom or 2.:hubba:

DD

I clone from clone also. The last constant strain I had, I kept going for 8 or 9 cycles just cloning from clones and it was just as good the last cycle as it was the first IMO.
I tried keeping moms for a bit but just was always running out of space and things just seemed more complicated. Now I use that space in my tent to let my veggers get that much bigger :aok:

I have a Safari Mix that I am on the 6th clone from a clone. Safari Mix are experimental crosses from Mandala and other seeds would not be the same as this one girl I have that I just love. She is not a real big producer, but the buds are rock hard and so frosty they stick to your hands. I also love the alert up high I get from her.

Hey HG ,how long do you think you will keep her?

i keep momsunder 3 shoplights 4' long 36watts each, i keep pruing them theyr easy to maintaiin if you have em on a table where its handy to cut them it's the most fun i have while growing sort of like shaping a statue or painting :D

My plan was to keep 2 mothers from my current grow...but now I am thinking I will just keep cloning the clones...I need the room in my veg tent...who knows though...when I finally get to smoke these two strains I might be so blown away that i go back to plan A...

By cloning clones and keeping my clone bubbler working overtime I'm able to keep 15 strains around to choose from each time I flower. I let them grow until they get too big for my veg closet and I'll either transplant and flower them or take a couple of clones and destroy the 'mother' plant that is getting too big for my space and then I'll make one of the newly rooted clones the new 'mom.' It's a bit like a plate-spinning circus act but it sure can be done... :rolleyes:

Peace!:cool:

martello_a10.jpg

I kept 3 mothers for a few yrs, I don't see how it's a PITA. it's not any different than some people haveing house plants. I keep them in the basement, or the spare room at my old house, under regular old 4 foot 2 bulb florescents, and trim them if they get out of hand. clones of clones would be easier, if you have space problems...but it's not like you need to worry about light leaks or anyhting.

When I was strictly oudooring it I would take cuts throughout the winter, to move out in the spring. Now that I'm indoors and wanting to keep a few more strains, I may have to do clones of clones.

im a loyal guy. i like to find a good strain and stick with it. hope u find one 2

Thanks for all the responces, but let me ask all of you that keep moms. Do the stems on your moms get woody? They do on mine and it makes it difficult to clone. How do i deal with that? Just keep pruning so that the growth is always new? idk

smoky anda bandit said:
Thanks for all the responces, but let me ask all of you that keep moms. Do the stems on your moms get woody? They do on mine and it makes it difficult to clone. How do i deal with that? Just keep pruning so that the growth is always new? idk

a few of them have mentioned it.. just re clone a new mommy.. the new growth or top growth i have had problems with the woody stems.. cam to the conclusion there was a nute difficency.. but also if you can lightly i mean light shace a lil of the stem at the bottom near your 45 cut..
it helps pick up speed..
i keep moms of something i plan on keeping and growing for a bit.. i have 1AI mom and 2 papaya moms.. soon to be one .. lol
i also try keeping them under a ft tall.. small mom box.. i veg in my tent and flower there as well..
LH

Latest posts

Back