My first grow(HELP!!!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UkSmok3r

Reaction score
Hi guys

im new here stumbled across ya forum yesterday and am quite impressed with the ammount of good info on here nice work ;)

now to my point i have recently started my first ever grow
(dutch passion Taiga AF) 9 out of the 10 seeds poped 4 are now at week 4 and the other 5 are at week 2 everything seemed ok but recently i have noticed a stump in growth and brown yellowy tips on the leaves any ideas why this is and why there not very tall (Tallest is same height as a biro pen bout 4 inches?? plant 1 in my pics)
Not using any nutes yet as im awaiting delivery from ebay biobiz bloom flower and topmax for soil. plants are potted in potting compost mixed with some topsoil and sand for drainage in 2.5 litre pots. dont no the ph as of yet untill i perchase a tester rushed getting the seeds sowed b4 i got all materials bad move ;( temp is around 84 degrese farenheight and Hummidity is around 45-55% and lighting im using 2x 250 watts cfl 1x veg spectrum and 1x flower spectrum seing that these strain are AF i placed a flower cfl in there last week. hopefully it was a good move but as i said this is my first grow and will need to learn from my mistakes ;(
if anyone could give me some advice that would help very much thnx.

Plant 1 @ 4 wks old
B]Plant 2 @ 4 wks old[/B]

plant 3 @ 4 wks old

Plant 4 @ 4 wks old

5 smaller plants @ 2 wks old

Random grow room pic tiny litte cuboard this is only the bottom shelve i split the cuboard in 2 for room to grow

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Site_Rules.html <---
7. Please post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as 3 pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them. Also we discovered that quite a number pictures hosted on other sites gets deleted after some time making the threads worthless on our forums.

plant14wks-1.jpg

plant24wks-1.jpg

plant34wks.jpg

First and foremost, :welcome: to the site. I would say get a ph meter as quickly as possible. I believe ph is one the most integral parts to any grow. With improper ph, you can throw nutes at a plant all day long but if you are not within that special range, the plant will not have the ability to uptake the nutes. Also, do not buy a fish tank tester or paper strips, make sure you buy an actual meter. The water that you put into the pot is nowhere near as important as the ph of what is running out, and is difficult to test dirty water in one of those fish tank tester kits. While your at it, you may want to invest in a ppm tester. Are you just using normal tap water or is it filtered, well water, any more info will help.

Even though you said you are not using nutes, I would check to see what info you can give us on the potting compost you used. It may be a little hot(as in too heavy on certain nutes) and burning the plants a little bit. If it gets worse and starts to look sort of like the ash of a cigarette then it is almost certainly nute burn. Did the compost have a NPK on it? What ratio of compost to top potting soil did you use(as in 50/50 soil to compost, or whatever it was.)

A little more info would help, so anything you can add that may or may not be important about your grow would be helpful for us to help you.

Welcome to MP. Gotta go with mike, check your soil and ph. Maybe wanna take a your roots. See if they are rootbound or damaged from light penetrating the containers. Gl and green mojo to ya.

Thanks glad to have found this forum it kicks *** ;)

ok down with some info well the topsoil and compost mix is 2/3 compost i found some info on the products i used here we go...

TOPSOIL

Material: Sterilised graded top soil from a sandy clay loam soil, dark brown to black in colour. Typical composition loam soil 9-95% organic matter 5-1%. Produced to ** Standard 3882 Top Soils 1994.

COMPOST

% of Peat Free: 37

Material: Mix

Category: Multi-purpose Compost

additional informationContains essential plant nutrients and trace elements
Contains wetting agent for easier watering
Provides the ideal nutrient balance for strong root development and healthy plant growth
Do not use for Ericaceous plants. When planting out or potting up ericaceous plant species, use B&Q Ericaceous Compost

Well thats all i could pull up about the materials soz thats all there was but hey ho it will be sorted eventually the main thing that is bovering me is there height?? i swear they should be alot taller than this Hmmm?? any ideas chaps i really hope my first grow dont die on me they say 50 - 60 cm but im doubtfull these are 10 -15 cm at wk 4 ***?? and they say this strain from seed to bud in 8-10 wks?..

Phew, man i'm stumped. The leaves look like straight up nute burn. The stunted growth could be from a number of things ranging from bad genetics to ..., thats where i'm stumped. There has been some complaints on dp. Try a pm to HamsterLewis or Hippieinengland they are my auto guys. Maybe they can tell you what gives. Gl and green mojo to ya.

IMO the compost is to Hot(nute rich) for the young plants flush the soil real good to get rid of some of the nutes..

:yeahthat: That's what I was assuming in my first post, compost is too hot. I think that even more so if you are saying that you are using 2/3 compost and 1/3 topsoil. Like Ozzie said, flushing is a good idea. What you are going to want to do is run a whole bunch of ph balanced water through the containers. If you're willing to spend a little money, go out and buy some distilled water, not a long term solution, but can help until you get a ph meter. Generally, when I flush I run ten times the amount of water that the container will hold. This will help wash out some of the excess nutrients.

As far as the size of the plant, auto's don't get very big but there are several other factors that could be stunting growth. First, this nutrient burn problem. Secondly, while it does appear that they are being burned, depending on how high or low your ph is you may be locking out other nutrients. Third, I'm just not a big fan of cfl's. I have seen some pretty nice grows done with full size T5 florescents, but the compacts have never really impressed me. I'm a HID guy all the way. Good luck, keep us updated.

the only thing i can think of that hasnt already been advised is raise your lights a bit a replace the veg cfl with a bloom cfl and you might get a bit of stretch but good luck and heres some GREEN MOJO

Another question, what light cycle are you using, some of your pics at 4wks look like they're budding or trying to and they are way to young.
Lots of luck and welcome to MP.:welcome:

Im running at 18/6 as there AF they can stay at this no probs but i reserched the dp Taiga strain and most people say there not a true AF as most of the seeds just veg n veg until u switch to 12/12. i dont get it? maybe a new batch of seeds or some **** but mine have loads of pre buds and pistles on every node at about 15cm high lol whats that 1g per plant dryed omfg

try talking to hamster lewis, he has experience with the autos, and he had one that he had to put on 12/12 I think it was pakistani ryder, he said it was probably from an unstable strain I think...don't qoute me on that, but try to talk to him. I don't know much about auto's and I've never grown one. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the info i will try a few things n hope for the best. will keep you all updated on my progress im gunna grow these out and make a plan of action before i rush into poping thoes seeds open ;)

UkSmok3r said:
Im running at 18/6 as there AF they can stay at this no probs but i reserched the dp Taiga strain and most people say there not a true AF as most of the seeds just veg n veg until u switch to 12/12. i dont get it? maybe a new batch of seeds or some **** but mine have loads of pre buds and pistles on every node at about 15cm high lol whats that 1g per plant dryed omfg

You are correct. If it takes a 12/12 light schedule to flower these, they are not truly autos. Preflowers only indicate sexual maturity--they appear on both auto and non-auto strains.

plants doing a little better now. nice coating of cristals and a lil taller much healther nute burn has seem to have gone? i think it was a lil warm in there and not enough airflow n co2 so i added 5 4inch pc fans to move the air about and 1 9inch wall mounted fan facing upwards to blow air up threw the plans and also blow towards the lights to take some heat away ohh and orderd a 4inch duct fan with carbon sox and silencer, that will be replacing 1 of the pc fans where the air exits the room so hopefully problems are now sloved.. nutes on order ORGANIC bio biz grow, bloom & topmax..will post some new pics 2moz mos prob :cool:

Latest posts

Back