My first grow: ICE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkerluke

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first attempt at growing, and I had no idea it was this involved and fun. I don't have too much money to spend, so I invested everything in a 400W MH light and a growing stand. I bought ICE seeds, and am growing 5 plants hoping to get a female or two. They have been transplanted since seedlings into 3 gallon pots, and I have been using Fox Farms Ocean Forst soil without adding any nutes yet. Distilled water from the store once a week, and right now I'm 3.5 weeks into growing. Can't wait to see if I have something good, and I hope I don't kill the plants. :D

DSC00705.JPG

DSC00721.JPG

DSC00739.JPG

DSC00768.JPG

DSC00775.JPG

DSC00780.JPG

DSC00786.JPG

Howdy wl! Those look very nice, especially for a first timer. Wait till you get into the whole ph, ppm, temps, humidity thing. Keep it fun and you will learn faster and more. We are here to help ya'

Beautiul shade o'green there friend. Do you have yet a HPS bulb to go with that MH. Good luck and welcome to the family.

Looking good...are you going to buy a HPS bulb for flowering? Soil is a good choice for a first grow...gives you a lil buffer...

Yes, I am buying a HPS conversion bulb so that it will fit my MH ballast. Yeah, I haven't gotten into the whole pH thing even though I read it is very important. The pH meters are so expensive, and I guess I'm just hoping that with the FFOF soil(which supposedly keeps pH at a certain balance...I have no idea how), and the distilled water from the store that the pH will be in the acceptable range...I hope!!! Thanks for all the help everyone.

walkerluke said:
Yes, I am buying a HPS conversion bulb so that it will fit my MH ballast. Yeah, I haven't gotten into the whole pH thing even though I read it is very important. The pH meters are so expensive, and I guess I'm just hoping that with the FFOF soil(which supposedly keeps pH at a certain balance...I have no idea how), and the distilled water from the store that the pH will be in the acceptable range...I hope!!! Thanks for all the help everyone.

PH Pen cheap>>>hxxp://www.eseasongear.com/ph600.html
Replace the xx with tt...

They make a world of difference even in soil...My current grow is the first where I ph the water everytime...and with a digi ph pen...I hve had way less overall problems with my plants this grow...I never knew my tap water which I used in my first two grows was like 8.5...my strips said it was near 7...

hello my friend and welcome to wonderfull world or growing..those look great..and you are doing just as i when i started..Keeping it simple..I too was buying distilled from store still need to check cause it differs too..then found water station.were they fill 5 gallon water jugs for the water coolers they have at offices..I have 15 5 gallon and 4 3 gallon..the 3 gallon i use for mixing my nutes...im going with a RO system next year..not this one..and im sure you will too .as you progress on..is that Milar on one side? well gotta grow now take care and be safe:ciao:

4u2sm0ke said:
is that Milar on one side?

Now that you mention it it looks like tin foil...
Foil is not that good to use...flat white wld be better

Yes, it is aluminum foil, and I just recently ordered Mylar becuase I heard not to use af. So, that will be fixed as soon as the Mylar arives in the mail. Thanks! Little by little I'm getting there. I know I'm not there yet, but how do you know when to put them in 12/12...and when do you know the sex, I'm 3.5 week in by the way.

walkerluke said:
Yes, it is aluminum foil, and I just recently ordered Mylar becuase I heard not to use af. So, that will be fixed as soon as the Mylar arives in the mail. Thanks! Little by little I'm getting there. I know I'm not there yet, but how do you know when to put them in 12/12...and when do you know the sex, I'm 3.5 week in by the way.

You can put them in 12/12 anytime you want even start them out that way but they will not start to flower until sexually mature...which is when they hve alternating nodes...

Hey walkerluke :ciao:

Like what has already been mentioned need to lose the foil, use mylar or flat white paint(cheaper)...I also noticed that you had no fan for air circulation. You need to get some leaf movement in order to strengthen the stems/plants and help with nute uptake thus the reason for the fan. The light looks like it could be closer to your plants. Closer the light, the less stretch. Place hand at canopy level and lower light till ya feel some warmth on the back of your hand.

you gonna be a pro befor long my friend..Look at all this great help...even the MVP stopped by:rofl:

Thanks for all the advice. I already put a fan on the plants due to weak stems, and they are really strong now! I just took that pic of my setup before I put the fan on the plants. I also am waiting for the Mylar that I ordered to come in, so I should be all set with the suggestions. Oh, and I did put the plants closer to the light when I got the fan due to lower temps over the canopies. Thanks again everyone!

walkerluke said:
Just some pics of my 5 plants. 27 days into veg.
Beautiful plants, man!!!!

I have some Ice seeds, so I'll be watching your grow for future reference to my own.

Thanks!

Thanks for the great comments guys! I'm really excited to see if I get any fems. I feel like I just got five babies...at least that is how I am treating them. My wife is getting jelous I think!:D

Nice plants walker!!! I ordered the ph pen mentioned above for a hydro grow. 23$ and free shipping. I ordered mine on sunday got here friday. I would look into it. Anyone know where we can get a ppm pen for 25$.L O L

Smokey Mcpotster said:
Nice plants walker!!! I ordered the ph pen mentioned above for a hydro grow. 23$ and free shipping. I ordered mine on sunday got here friday. I would look into it. Anyone know where we can get a ppm pen for 25$.L O L

Hey Smokey...check here>>>>hxxp://www.eseasongear.com/micdtdstemec.html

15.95 for a ppm pen....

great job kid,you may not know this but you are growing one of the most potent meds out there,now I know I going to here it from others,but I have grown and tested ice against so many of the other so called potent strains,its genes run deep into the white varieties,making it a great pain reliever,if you haven't read up on how to clone give yourself a lesson or two,this is a keeper variety,your fellow growers will thank you 10 fold,hehe,I just medicated with your ice's little sister the mango,which is another great white grow,glad to here you are having fun,thats great keep an open mind and the peeps here will fill it with great growing advice

Latest posts

Back