myth strains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiseguy_Chef

Junior Greenthumb
Reaction score
all right heres the deal. around my home town, there is
this strain of weed that is leagary.
it is called mesilla vally maddness. my dad talks about this strain,
uncles an all the old timers from the 70's tell me
about this strain. have any u guys ever herd
of it? from what eveyone says,
the grower disapread in the late 80's.
my dad tells me that stuff would blow your mind.
an leave u layed out for hours.

If u guys got any myth strains or loco strains, you or other growins in
your area have grown postem here, sure other growers
would not mind trying to make some great hybirds.

What about "Black Rosa"? I have only seen it once. would love to get ahold of it. Its black (not purple) when its mature.

Probably a myth.Most are.Some guys grow some killer weed they grew from bag seed,give it a cool name,and it kind of goes from there.Soon any good weed around then is called that strain.It's all been imported.
Besides why would you want some strain from the 70's when we have so much better strains now;)

because you dont know if they were better or the new strains r better...

SirSmoke-a-Lot said:
because you dont know if they were better or the new strains r better...

Since I am old and have smoked for over 40 years, I take these marijuana myth stories with a grain of salt. While we can't actually know if they were better, we can make a pretty educated guess.

Those of us that grew up in the 60s have seen huge changes in the quality of marijuana and the THC content. I don't think there was any "holy grail" of marijuana back then--we were just learning about it. Virtually ALL the bud you bought back then consisted of stems, seeds, and leaves--you never bought a baggie that consisted only of nice dank buds like you do now. Sensimillia was not even a word then (or even a concept).

Personally, I view these myths as myths. Great pot is not an accident. It comes from years and years of selective breeding by "real" breeders.

time4tokin20s said:
Probably a myth.Most are.Some guys grow some killer weed they grew from bag seed,give it a cool name,and it kind of goes from there.Soon any good weed around then is called that strain.It's all been imported.
Besides why would you want some strain from the 70's when we have so much better strains now;)

u think so huh? well i might not know much about growing but i have hurd of the 7 legerdy strains, an we owe pretty every strain we hold near an dear to us to thies 7 stains.

my best gess from the area i am from, (close to mexico) was a hybrid of pamama red, alcapico gold or some other mexican strain.

Wiseguy_Chef said:
u think so huh? well i might not know much about growing but i have hurd of the 7 legerdy strains, an we owe pretty every strain we hold near an dear to us to thies 7 stains.

my best gess from the area i am from, (close to mexico) was a hybrid of pamama red, alcapico gold or some other mexican strain.

Same everywhere yo go.Any outdoor strain that's been growing that long(especially near Mexico) has been crossed so many times by different strains it will never be the same.Unless someone's been growing it indoors for 30 years it's gone.

i doubt it would be as good as your dad and other old timers remember.. as hemp godess said, the quality in the hippy years was pretty low THC levels. especially compared to nowadays.

could it possibly be he's remembering something that was so great.. but only because it's an old memory? i don't know how to word it, but things do seem to get better with just memories.

i think if he did actually find some now, he wouldn't think it's that phenomenal (probably question whether it was really it, because it wouldn't come close to what he's bult up (subconciously) in his mind.)

I am sure the weed was good back then but I have heard too many people say you were picking out tons of seeds before you even rolled a joint.

godspeedsuckah said:
I am sure the weed was good back then but I have heard too many people say you were picking out tons of seeds before you even rolled a joint.

Yes, we did have to pick tons of seeds out before we could roll a joint. Pot has gotten continually better as the years pass. In the sixties you bought 4 finger baggies for $8-10--it had seeds, stems, leaves--we didn't know any better. In the seventies I bought Mexican compressed into a block--mediocre, but the price was right, $100 for a half kilo. I had some thai-stick in the 80s that I thought was the ultimate...until i got some stuff from Panama. Around this time we started to see sensimillia, but we didn't call it that then. It was just pot without seeds--we were ecstatic. This is about the time I got interested in growing. We did it outside--none of this fancy-*** HID lighting. We grew monsters outside wherever we could. I had a greenhouse and grew 4-6 plants. Citrcumstances dictated a hiatus from growing for many years. When I took it up again, it was a whole different story.

Pot has evolved. It has gotten substantially better. This is one of those things that there is really no debate about. Anyone who has smoked pot for decades will tell you that this is true.

I have heard of mendicino madness, which is a very potent strain, that came out of the mendo county of cali, as many well know mendo is a part of the emerald triangle, and they are known for their strong genetics, but this was not around for that long, maybe 10 years, maybe

It's really easy to ween out these "myth strains" using only common sense. I don't buy into the idea of quite a few strains. The product has no central regulation, and that leaves people able to basically just make up whatever they want to about it. I've read in several places that it took the better part of two decades to isolate certain mj genetics. If you really wanted to come up with your own stuff, on a purely genetic level, it would require around a thousand plant setup, and dozens of full cycle grows. The only real genetics I trust come out of Holland, and are in the original breeder packaging. Not to say that everything else is bullshoy, but I think its a pretty good little rule of thumb. Just my thoughts...

i just wonder why everyone thinks that all high grade strain come from holland?

slowmo77 said:

LOL--I don't think that I ever thought that. There were great strains from everywhere--Acapulco Gold, Panama Red, Thai Stick, Maui Wowie, Vietnamese, Humboldt County. It wasn't until the last 25 years or so that I even heard about pot from Holland. Jeez I'm old...but, dm, I'm glad I don't feel that way!

slowmo77 said:

It's not that form of thinking at all. There are some amazing west coast strains out there, but there is no central regulating system behind it. There are people who grow dutch strains, and enter them into the cannabis cup under a different name every year. Because its tolerated in Holland, the breeders basically police themselves. And yes, people get called out on it every year at the cannabis cup.

I don't believe dutch quality is top notch, I just believe the strains can be trusted more, and are more authentic.

Wow fadeux, you are sure missing a lot then if you willing to get seeds from breeders from Holland. IMO, the last great thing to come out of holland was White widow, and greenhouse released this now quite a while ago. The majority of strain after that were mainly hybrids of that, and hybrids of hybrids. Do not get me wrong I have no problem whatsoever with any breeders in Holland, as I feel SOME great Strains have come out of holland, but right now IMO, the most work is being done in North America on the breeding front.

The work that is being done by REZ Dog, Chem Dog, TGA and subcool, orgkid, BCSD, and even Dr.Greenthumb is unrivaled, again IMHO. Don't get me wrong, soma, simon from serious, and Dj will always do what they do, which is create awsome strains, but this doesn't discredit others in the industry.

I would have to disagree with this to the fullest. Dutch companies are so notorius for stealing other dutch companies genetics and strain naames that Arjan had to copyright his names, and starting naming everything Arjan's everything, hence Arjan's haze, which he must be up to about #27 by now, lol

Fadeux said:
It's not that form of thinking at all. There are some amazing west coast strains out there, but there is no central regulating system behind it. There are people who grow dutch strains, and enter them into the cannabis cup under a different name every year. Because its tolerated in Holland, the breeders basically police themselves. And yes, people get called out on it every year at the cannabis cup.

I don't believe dutch quality is top notch, I just believe the strains can be trusted more, and are more authentic.

massproducer said:
Wow fadeux, you are sure missing a lot then if you willing to get seeds from breeders from Holland. IMO, the last great thing to come out of holland was White widow, and greenhouse released this now quite a while ago. The majority of strain after that were mainly hybrids of that, and hybrids of hybrids. Do not get me wrong I have no problem whatsoever with any breeders in Holland, as I feel SOME great Strains have come out of holland, but right now IMO, the most work is being done in North America on the breeding front.

The work that is being done by REZ Dog, Chem Dog, TGA and subcool, orgkid, BCSD, and even Dr.Greenthumb is unrivaled, again IMHO. Don't get me wrong, soma, simon from serious, and Dj will always do what they do, which is create awsome strains, but this doesn't discredit others in the industry.

Fair enough, but to what assurance do you have that you are actually getting that strain? The honest answer is that you simply don't know. If you pick up a copy of "Marijuana Botany" and learn just how hard and time consuming it is to create your own strain, you will understand that there is quite an excessive amount of wiggle room in these things. It took the better part of 2 decades to come up with White Widow. You don't just pollinate that with another stable strain like Northern Lights and come up with "Super weed." Genetics dont work that way. I have breeders I trust, and seedbanks that I trust. Allow me to give you an example.

Dope-seeds.com. I ordered a strain from them a few months ago. Their website said they had it in stock. a week later, I received an email from the owner saying that was a typo, and he wanted to know how to work it out with me. We worked it out, and I received something else I fancied. Were he a shady operator, he would've just sent me something similar.

I am not saying the dutch have the best strains, but I am saying that its ILLEGAL to sell seeds in the US, and when you are dealing in that form of black market, you really never can be sure of what you are getting. Were Merlot and Cabrenet illegal in the US, how many people do you think could tell the difference. Hell, how many people do you know that can tell the difference today (while its LEGAL)

Just my thoughts...

massproducer said:
I would have to disagree with this to the fullest. Dutch companies are so notorius for stealing other dutch companies genetics and strain naames that Arjan had to copyright his names, and starting naming everything Arjan's everything, hence Arjan's haze, which he must be up to about #27 by now, lol

Disagree all you want, you still make my point for me. There is ZERO centralized regulation in this industry. The only question I ask is how do you know you are getting the strain you pay for? You don't. The only real comparasion I can make is with Italian wine. The only Super Tuscan you can buy HAS TO BE MADE IN TUSCANY. But there are plenty of american vineyards that can market "Super Tuscans," If its not from Italy, its NOT a super tuscan. If this kind of stuff can happen with wine, what hope do we have for geniune MJ strains?

Latest posts

Back