Need some advice having trouble cant believe it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony8404

Reaction score
Okay i got 4 seeds to germinate and sprout. They each have the first rounded leaf as well as a regular leaf coming in not. I also noticed tonight that each one of the four plants has a root coming out.

I have them in a sponge material that i bought from ace hardware that comes with a tray and dome.

I have the tray on top of a heating pad with a flourescent 4" light bulb as close as i can get to the dome. the plants are getting a bit tall now, I am just wondering if i should remove the dome and keep the tray on the heating mat? or should i just take the dome off and turn the pad off?

last week i had a sprout that had the round leaf as well as a regular leaf starting off. i took the dome off and the fan was on, i come back later on and the plant was dead. not sure if it was the cold or cause i took the dome off but it never came back from that.

So now i have the four going with heating pad under the tray with the dome on but no fan but I am afraid to take the dome off and turn the fan on now. i can take the dome leave tray on the heating pad but leave the fan turned off. is that what i need to do?

Putting a fan onto seedlings might have killed them. Why not put them in soil?

I do not do soil i go with DWC hydroponics. I need some roots first before putting them into a starting dwc before i put them into the big dwc.

so you think i am safe by removing the heating pad and taking the clear dome off the tray?

You can put a lil fan on them not too much but they need to be moving ever so slightly. Move the fan further away if need be, its important to not only help strengthen the stems to help hold em up, but also help exchange stale air. in nature the wind doesnt stop for them. once they emerge I put a fan on mine, I dont use a heating pad or a dome, never had good results with em, never had a problem, But I start em in jiffy pucks and keep em under the T5's, I also grow in soil. Maybe try a rockwool plug for hydro. put the seed in and tear a corner off the bottom of the plug and put in the hole to cover the seed. Also do you germinate first? I do with the wet papertowel and ziplock baggie method. make sure it stays wet tho, or itll kill it. I blow air into it, and then seal it trapping the air, to make a humidity dome, and set it on top of my T5. when the taproot emerges the length of the seed or more i put it in my jiffy puck, couple days its up, works like a charm! Ive never had good success without germinating first. remember just a gentle breeze! not too much! hope i helped you!

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54594

^^^that will show you how to post a pic. they really do help a lot.

are the sponges transparent? light on roots is no good.

unless the air temp is below 60 i wouldn't use a heating pad. even when i use my heating pan on clones. i run it on low, and use a hand towel as a buffer.

i find rapid rooters to be the ideal starting medium for seeds and clones in any hydro application that utilizes hydroton/grow stones.

I would remove dome periodically until the seedlings have hardened off, then remove completely. I do not use domes for seedlings, just clones.

I don't use a heating pad or dome. I keep them within an enclosed space that stays between 75-80 consistently with either T5 or several high power CFL bulbs so that they get good but not real high lumen light. Once they get going and start reaching for the light, I move them closer to the bulbs for a few days. When I see several roots popping out of the rooter cubes I set them in their permenant medium and put them under full lighting but at about 24" for a couple days then about 12" after that. :)

As soon as seedlings pop their heads through the medium, I take the dome off. Seedlings are prone to damping off if they are too moist. Unless the fan was really blowing, I would not expect that to be the reason that it died. I would be more inclined to believe that you could have had damping off with it. I would also take the heating pad away. If the space is warm enough for the foliage, it is warm enough for the roots. I always wait until I have a good amount of roots coming through the cube before I put into the DWC.

Latest posts

Back