New Grow Room set up. Couple Questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlimited

Reaction score
Hello everybody hows it going to day? I've just starting my first grow. I built the room in my basement. I'm going to give you some details about my Grow room. This is just the Veg Room, Working on the Flower room

I'm running a 4ft 8 Lamp T5 on 24 hours
Temperature is running around 75 degrees with a RH of 73%
I'm using Sunshine Coco Choir Blend.
I have the plants in a 7 gallon Smart Pot, the cloth ones.
I have 6 plants going right now. 4 of them are Motarebel Herijuana(Tall) and 2 of them are Jack the Ripper(Short) I got this two days ago as clones.
I bought all the Nutrients for the veg stage.They are Botanicare. CNS17,FULVEX,AQUASHIELD,SILICA BLAST, LIQUID KARMA, CAL-MAG.

I just transplanted them into the pots, I flushed them with water and Cal-Mag only,Followed the directions on the bottle 1 TSP for One Gallon. Don't know If I water them enough the soil was pretty dry. When I first but the soil in I added about gallon and half of water.After day two I think they are getting Nitrogen deficiency I have some pictures attached. Well all around the edges of some of the leaves are yellow and some of the bottom leaves are turning yellow.

The Soil seems like its still wet so I don't want to water again but they are definitely giving me a sign that there's something not right. All leaves were green when I got it Two days ago.

Now for questions
When I'm watering the plants should I be giving them like a gallon of water a plant, because they are in a 7 gallon pot?

How close can I have the T5 light to the top of the plants with out hurting them, I think I'm a little to far.
Thanks everyone for looking and thanks for any advise you have for me.

Weed 5.JPG

Weed 4.JPG

Weed 2.JPG

Weed 1.JPG

Yeah, They might be a little far. I use T-5's, and they almost touch the plants. I have only got a little leaf curl, when I don't check on them, and they have been touching the light for a day or two.

get some wood or cinderbricks or something to prop your ladies up on so they are all about the same height, and put em as close as you get to the light without burning em.

a gallon of water every time im sure is fine in those pots, just let em dry out pretty decent before you water again.

as for the yellowing, it may be N deficiency, i'd keep an eye on it but wait a few days till the pots dry out a bit.

Looks like some of your clones has some major stretch:eek:

Get your light as close as you can without touching.

Plants should recover, just give them time. FFOF has enough food for about 30 days before you need to begin feeding them.

What do you mean by flush? And why would you want to flush new soil?:confused2:

If and when I need cal/mG and use it during flowering.

I also don't understand flushing new soil and using Cal-Mag to flush???

Your light needs to be right down on top of the plants, like an inch or so away. You have quite bad stretch. You might want to do some lst or topping if you think you are going to have the room. You know, in fact, I think that I would trash the plant on the right in the first picture. She is so stretched with so few bud sites that she will probably not produce much. You are going to be so out of room that you might want to make some space for the healthier plants.

Can you tell us exactly how much of everything you are feeding your plant? I'm not one for all those additives. I think you have some nute burn there. Do you know your ppms and pH?

Are you sure those are 7 gal pots? They really look closer to 4-5 gal. Part of how much you have to water depends on YOUR environment--what works for one person is not going to work for another. I am in 3 gal pots and I water over 1/2 gal a day every day, but I have really low humidity.

How big is your closet and do you have any ventilation in there? Plants need a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis.

I don't think those are 7 gallon pots either....with Smart pots I always water slowly from the middle out. I don't even flush at the end let alone the beginning.jmo

Thanks For all your inputs, I do appreciate the information your are giving me. I'm Learning on all of this. I did drop my light to about an inch of the plants and raised the Small ones with wood to the same level as the other ones. I got the plants with that bad of stretch and he was taking clones off the plants too (kinda of disappointing in them). I think I might just take a bunch of clones of that one on the far right.
I didn't mean to say flushing, Just watering the plants. I don't know what size they are they said they were 7 Gallon on the labels. The Room's size is 7x2 I don't have ventilation yet, I'm just leaving the door open right now.
On the nuts this is the recipe i had planned.

Week 1 2 3 4

CNS 17 Coco 40 50 60 60

Aqua Shield 25 50 50 50

Cal-Mag Plus 0 25 25 35

Liquid Karma 10 15 25 25

Pure Blend Orginal 25 25 50 50

Silica Blast 10 15 25 25

Thats all in mL and for a 5 gallon mixture

I checked my pH and its right around 6.5 I do not know about my ppm's

Thanks for your help again, I appreciate the help

You will need ventilation.

1) To keep the heat in check
2) To replenish the cO2 that the plants use up.

They sure sold you a bunch of nutes for a first time grower.
I like the KISS approach for nutes.

I wouldn't chop the right one, tie that gal down as low as possible, let her grow out some shoots and top what comes up....she'll bush right out for you, just will take a little bit. In that little bit, though, you'll get some good experience and likely a nice bushy plant with plenty of bud sites!!

Just take string and scissors, poke through around the top of the smartbag, pull the arms down low...gently...and tie her down.

Watering....you should pick up a dry gal and see what she weighs (or a newly watered gal), this will give you a good idea when you need to water, just check the weight each time. You want to water until you get runoff , which can be fast in a smartpot, water slowly from the center for best results, then move out to soak all the soil surface! She should be fairly hefty when fully watered.

He only has a 2 x 7 space--too little room for 6 plants--and really no room to lst. I am still in favor of getting rid of the weak plant--clone from it if you want, but there are so few bud sites and it is taking up space that could be used for the stronger plants. More plants does not mean more yield. I actually believe that your yield will be greater if you get rid of the weak stringy plant in favor of the strong ones.

I am also one who thinks simple is better, especially for beginners. I just don't think that you need 80 different additives for marijuana. I do very nicely with just Flora Nova Grow for vegging and the GH Flora 3 part series (or the 2 part Lucas system) and some Cal-Mag for flowering. I never use Cal-Mag until flowering. Do you even really know what each of those is and what it is supposed to do for your plants (because I don't)? Unless you know what your plants need and what you are giving them, you have a heck of a time with any problems that may crop up.

Ventilation is almost as important as your lighting. Ventilation should be set up when you set your space up. You need that RH down some and proper ventilation should do that. You are going to need, at the very least, an exhaust fan to bring in fresh air, a passive intake hole, and an oscillating fan to move air around.

How did you check your pH?

Yeah I'm starting to think this guy was just out to make a bunch of money on me. The guy was telling me because I went with the Coco blend that I need all this Nuts because the Coco don't contain them at all. No I have no Idea what all this Different things do for the plant. Can you use Flora Nova Grow for Coco also? We do have high Humidity where I live, It rained last night so were at 83% right now outside. Hate to get rid of one of the plants at $25 but gotta do what you gotta do.
What is the KISS approach for nutes. I got $150 in Nuts don't want to just start over with some new nutes. Is there a way I can get this to work?
Thanks everyone, Sorry for being such a Newb

deep breath xlimited---kiss is---Keep It Simple Stoner---sounds like the dude in the shop is on some kind of commission---they all take advantage of people in this experimental starting stage---so now you know---you can experiment with the back stock of nutes as you get more grows under your belt----you are in good hands with the peeps here---they know their stuff---Get Your Ventilation Squared Away---hopefully it will lower your RH---let your soil dry a bit between waterings---feel it with your hands---lift the pot for weight---you do not want to overwater---the plants will droop and look parched if they are too dry---7 gal smart pot with plants that size prolly only need to be watered once or twice a week with a 70% RH---start thinking how you are gonna deal with the aroma---all of what you need to know is here---read read read---welcome aboard the crazy train---:headbang: :48:

He only has a 2 x 7 space--too little room for 6 plants--and really no room to lst

I was thinking that was only the veg room, didn't realize was also the bud room...

The guy was telling me because I went with the Coco blend that I need all this Nuts because the Coco don't contain them at all.

Correct, the coir provides no nutrition, you'll need to feed the plants everything. Those nutes will work, you'll need to figure a lot out along the way (dosage), a simpler line of nutes would be much easier and likely give better results (for a beginner). The Fox Farm trio woud have been a much easier line to use and would work great for you! I do very nicely with just Flora Nova Grow for vegging and the GH Flora 3 part series (or the 2 part Lucas system) and some Cal-Mag for flowering. I never use Cal-Mag until flowering. also good advice!

I'm using Sunshine Coco Choir Blend. Is this pure coir? If not, the guy was misleading....

Its just my veg Room, I'm going to have a bigger room for my Bud Room. The Guy told me for the first two times after I got the Clones from him to just give the plants water and the CAL-MAG, Then After that start with his Feeding schedule which I have above, I'm going to try it. I got them so Might as well Try them.
Working on The ventilation right now. I was going to go with the Fox Farms and He told me that it don't have all the nuts for the Coco Blend GRRR, Got hustled lol. Its not pure Coco it has Peat Moss and Perlite and Coco. Thanks Again. Glad to be part of the Crazy Train, Just a little overwhelming. Like they say you learn from you mistakes.

With that many different nutrients (and the amount of each seems high), I would really recommend making sure you have something to measure ppms. I think it would be quite easy to really burn them.

My mistake on the vegging/flowering room. How large are you going to be making your space and what kind and size of light are you going to use? That one plant just looks so scraggly that I am not sure if it is every really going to recover and produce well. I find when I have a plant that is just no doing well, it is better to get rid of it--I know this can be really hard for newer growers. However, keep in mind that more plants does not mean more yield. Yield is more a result of your lighting and the strain, rather than plant count. Stretchy plants with few bud sites will simply not produce as much as bushy plants with lots of bud sites.

Thanks maybe I will cut a few mL on each and see how it goes, What kind of ppm meter would you recommend? The Bud room I was thinking was to be around 6x6. I have One of this hXXp://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lighthouse-Hydro-1000W-Extra-Large-Air-Cooled-Grow-Light-Reflector-MH-HPS-/350576375756?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519ffaf7cc#ht_4943wt_1186" I also have a Lumatek 1000W Dimmable HID Ballast. I'm going to be running a 1000W HPS bulb. I would like to get two for the room but right now just one.

That is a very nice vented hood. It will give a real nice foot print, but you will need to close in your space to a 5x5 or 4x6 or you will be underlit with the 1000w. For flowering, you need to be over 5000 lumens per square foot of floor space. If your room is 6x6 then you can make some reflector panels easy enough to close in the space to hold in the lumens, then open it up more later when you get more light.

I have found that I get better results when I use multiple lighting over any given space. I have 5x5 tents and I use 2 600w hps in each tent. It gives me more than enough lumens to bathe the kids in light plus I have light hitting them from 2 sources whivh eliminates some of the shadowing and allows for better light penetration into the canopy. :)

I use a Bluelab PH pen and am going to get the Bluelab PPM pen when I get some more cash as I am quite impressed with the Bluelab products so far. :)

Don't worry too much at this point about the nutes that you were sold. You will probably do just fine with them. My bro uses the Technaflora "recipe for success" and I think it is way unnecessary to have all the stuff that he has to keep up with it, but it works for him and his grows come out fine. He ends up paying a lot more for it but he is used to it and doesn't want to change. There are lots of very workable and cost effective nute regamins that you can choose to work with, and they will give you solid results, but ultimately you have to find the one that works best for you and your setup as every grow is unique.

Don't throw out what you just spent good money on. Try it by that guys schedule and tweak it as you find the need and it will work out. I think we all have extra nutes and materials, and "stuff" that we tried which didn't work out, or we found a better way. it happens that way. Green mojo for your new grow :)

I think I would do some research on the nutes and see what they are and what their function is before using. As I think the silca blast would be more helpful with high temp problems and may not be needed if that situation is not occurring. I guess I just like know what I am feeding them and why.

Like THG mentioned after a while you will be tossing plants all the time, just hard to do the first couple of times. I keep mothers and I throw more clippings away(possible clones) then I ever thought I could, but there again, if I could grow thousands of plants I may not throw those clippings away.:D

I'm with pcduck. Research everyone of those bottles and understand what each one is and what it is meant to do and use it only if you need it. I am guessing that you are going to find that you do not need all of those additives. This is a case where more is not necessarily better.

I would make the flowering room smaller if you are running a single 1000W. It is good for a max of 25-30 sq ft. I run a 1000W in a space a little under 20 sq ft and I am not overlit by any means. You are also going to need a good centrifuge type exhaust fan (probably something in the 6" 450 cfm size) and a speed controller to help control heat and provide air exchange.

Latest posts

Back