New light=drooping, white plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IB_Funky

Reaction score
I bought a 1000 watt metal halide the other day, plants were lively, green, and spread out before the light was installed. After a day of light which is 48 inches above the plants, they have white spots on the leafs, along with the plants being very droopy, feel pretty dry, and shriveled up. The room temp averages around 68 F, with the humidity of 50. They are in their 5th week, and I have been using schnucks 1 gallon cartons of water, and have never bought a ph meter to check the ph. (which is def not a good thing at this point). From what I understand, it might be nutrient burn, cause they were under 200 watt flor lights, and switched to the 1000 watt? Any advice would be very helpful.

Fox farm soil, with fox farm tri pack nutrient, fed every 6 or 7 days.

Thank You,
Joe

ph is "crucial"..
but, the move from flo's to hid "could" also be causing stress, sunburn.

The plants were gorgeous before the ligt was put in. Now they are real weak and droopy. Im guessing it has to be a burn, so should I move the light further away, or just feed them with straight water next time, any ideas? I will go out and spend the money on a ph meter sometime tommorow.

If your light caused this it is not nute burn more likely sunburn. The proper way would have to harden them off by placing them under the 1000 watts a few hours each day while increasing the hours slowly till the gotten use to the more intense light.

Nute burn is not caused by your light.

it might be nutrient burn, cause they were under 200 watt flor lights, and switched to the 1000 watt?

How much air movement do you have? Air movement is really important with HIDs. For instance, when I started growing under HPS, I didn't know this and so I was using a tiny fan. I had to keep the 150's (yeah that small) at least 18" above the canopy or the plants got burnt. Then when I put in a good sized fan and got some real throughput of air, I found I could move the lamps to only 4" away from the canopy with no burn at all.

I do only have a small fan, I will go out and upgrade to a new one today, and if that doesnt work out il try your advice duck!!

thanks to both of you

Latest posts

Back