Newbie here, lifts his voice to wiser ears...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arspoetica

Reaction score
Hi Everybody--just became a member of this site... and wanting to say hello...
& also to express my appreciation for the body of knowledge so many of you bring to a shared passion.

I have not grown this essential plant for many moons, about 30 years of moons. So much has changed.

And I have so much to learn--and thus have been reading... diligently,
daily --if not obsessively!

But I wonder if there are a few wiser and more experienced heads here whom I might turn to with some basic questions I'm facing. The main questions that are halting me with my own uncertainty are:

Whether to use a vacant, but unventilated 6x3 basement closet for a grow-room? Or whether to get a larger tent that could take a bigger MH/HPS system? I have easy room for a 4 x 8 tent with two doors that would enable me to easily deal with a larger scrog than I could do in this unventilated closet.

So I need someone to talk to me about would be involved in ventilating the closet if I want to make it something other than just a veg room. (My current plan has been to just use the closet for clones and mothers, and for vegging there under a T5 floro system I have just bought that can be run at either 216 watts/20,000 or 432/40,000 lumen.

The EASIEST thing would just be to buy some extra cfls and string them around the T5 and use the closet to flower as well. Could buy another smaller 2 ft T5 & some more floros and I'd have a natural space for doing a 6 x2 scrog (would probably need a foot of clearances to be able to walk around and manipulate the scrog --hence the 6x2 versus 6x3 reference.

But everything I've read suggests that t5s are really great--for veg. But they simply can't kick out the yield of bud that a hps can. If I go with the tent, I can get maximal bud yield and still stay within my legal limits for a medical mj license doing a scrog--would just have to veg a bit longer.

Question: For a first time indoor grower, how complicated would it be for me to deal with the heat issues of hps, and how to vent the heat, and charcoal the exhaust smell. Would somebody be willing to talk me through it if I went for it, either here, or when you buy a hps/MH combo system, are the folks you buy it from generally willing to walk you through installment. (If there's someone on this site living within an hour of San Francisco, be happy to pay them to be a hands-on consultant in getting set up--if you know your stuff and have the time, it'd be great for me).

My last area where I'm bumping into my own inexperience concerns hydro versus soil. Am used to gardening in soil. Hydro is a whole nother body of new infor to deal with. How hard would it be to do an initial grow with hydroponics? And are there a few good links or info people might be able to offer here?

And is it true that hydro is in some ways better than soil grows?
I'm assuming it's no accident that most of the more experienced people with more modern techniques use hydro rather than soil. Due to, better yield? MOre control of the process? Cheaper in the long run? How should I be thinking about soil vs hydro, given this will be my first indoor grow ever?

Anyhow, that's quite a lot of verbiage. If you've gotten this far, thanks.

--ars poetica ]

Latest posts

Back