On Being Alone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GanjaGuru

Reaction score
Years ago I had two patches of weed in the woods, 1 large (45 plants), 1 small (about 8 plants).
On Sept 1 I went out to water and found the small patch had been ripped off.
Knowing the rippers would be back to look around more, and loathe to lose the other patch, I decieded to do "guard duty".
I had a friend drop me and my camping dog Buffalo off bright and early the next day. I set up camp near my patch.
Guard duty meant that I would hang out in my camp all day. I had a tent, cooler, chair, rock ring, and leaning up against a tree, my fishing gear--and my Marlin .22 semi-auto rifle.
The rifle was just for show. It let anyone who might happen by know that I was there and if they were thinking about doing some looking around & ripping they'd be better off doing it somewhere else. I wasn't going to shoot anyone. Pot's important to me but not important enough to take a life over.
Every 7 days my friend would pick me up at the turn out, and drive me back to my house. I'd sleep in a real bed, take a hot shower the next morning, and I'd pick up another weeks worth of supplies on the way back and get dropped off for another week.
I did this for 1 month, at which time I harvested.
But I found out several things during that month.
It's that people are social animals. They need other people.
I mean I had camped out in the woods hundreds of times, but never alone.
The only time I had camped alone was near a road or at a drive-in campground, where there were other people around.
After a few days I was going nuts, and when I came back into town for supplies I called some friends and asked them to come out and see me.
But because of what I was doing I was limited on who I could call.
The entire time I was there (4 weeks) I only had visitors twice, and the only other people I saw the entire time was a group of fishermen, who left quickly because I wouldn't stop talking to them.
Where I was was an ideal spot--a sandy bank next to a stream teeming with native rainbow trout, a small waterfall for "bathing", my tent pitched under a oak tree.
But I was miserable.
Deep in a canyon, there was no communications (walkie-talkie's didn't work there and this was before cell phones which wouldn't have worked either). I had a battery-operated t.v., but no reception, and my radio would only pick up 1 station if I was standing in a certain spot with 1 arm lifted in the air, and it would only pick up KFI--talk shows with people like rush limbaugh.
I had cassette tapes, books and that was it.
Normally I would hike in the daytime but that would defeat my purpose of being there.

Which at long last brings me to my point:
What's the longest time span you have ever been cut off from all human contact?
No other people, no phone/computer/fax etc.
And 2ndly, how long have you gone without tv (includes computers)?

well does 2 weeks in a Tiajuana jail count? There may have been "some" other human contact but no one could understand me and I had no idea what was going on or if I was ever getting out. Finally one day after almost two weeks of being shuttled from jail to jail, they loaded me up and left me at the border and said "thank you very much" please don't come back...to this day, I still haven't.

GanjaGuru said:
it would only pick up KFI--talk shows with people like rush limbaugh.

That would drive anyone crazy. :D

GanjaGuru said:
Which at long last brings me to my point:
What's the longest time span you have ever been cut off from all human contact?
No other people, no phone/computer/fax etc.
And 2ndly, how long have you gone without tv (includes computers)?

I used to vanish as a kid into the woods with my dog for a week at a time. I would live off fish and some stuff I packed.
I went without TV almost my entire childhood. My father always beleived there were better things to do than to waste away in front of a TV. It always confused me to hear the other kids talk about Mtv and stuff like that.

The absolute longest I went without social interaction of any kind. I Went on what I guess the Australians call a "walk-about" for 3 weeks. I got sick of shit and took off. You learn alot about yourself when out on your own. I think everyone should go on a walk-about at least once in there life. My rules to a walk-about. Everything you need on your back in a pack. Start on a very seldom used trail-head. Typically advanced hiker trail which is listed by the Forest rangers. Go in the off-season for hikers. and start hiking. after about 10 miles in get off the trail and start bushwhacking until you reach a good stream with a nice pool of water and fish. make camp and just be. Forget everything and realize just how nice things could be. ;)

Also Army rations at the local Army surplus store make a good walk-about easy as hell. may taste nasty but no fish caught or could not forage/trap what you need, they come in handy. ;)

Well,I can't say my story's as nice as that. About 14 years ago I had gotten devorced from my 2nd Ex and had decided to come back to CA. from IA. After makeing arrangements w/frends to stay with, they welcomed me with open-arms,let me stay the night, and droped me off at a Homeless shelter the next day.I ended up homeless for around 9 mounths around long beach and santa-ana areas.Finally found a traveling carnival job and ended-up working for them for 8 years. I met my Wife, Connie, at the carnival and 3 years later we left the show,and got married. Were doing ALOT better now-a-days/ not rich, not homeless,but doing better everyday. Yea,those times on the street were rough, but i learned alot about myself,what i wanted and what i needed for myself were two different things. What i found down in myself was a better man than were i was.I find myself gratefull more now for the people in my life,the things i own,and most of all my Wife. When I was younger I felt that I loved bouth of my ex's, but i was never gratefull for them or my situation. Odd...AGE&WISDOM at last. Hope this helps out. Yours, CaptainViper

I once went 72 hours without power!!! :eek:

Yet you made it through hick, perseverance man.

I haven't gone on a walk-about but I went on a drive-about for four months with just me and my dog, went all over this country and had a great time, seldom more than a few days without any interaction though, I did find myself talking to the dog a bit much though.

Latest posts

Back