Once a hermie...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight_toker

Reaction score
I had one plant left to harvest from my bagseed grow and it kept growing new buds. It flowered for 13 weeks. At about week 9, the pistils turned pink (the stems have always been purple). At about week 10, it started shooting out these leaves with no "serations" on the edges. I thought it was weird, but otherwise it looked fine. Yesterday I go to check on it and to my complete surprise, there is a nanner hanging out. I chopped it because I had tested it and it is a very good smoke- very high, energetic and giggly. I looked it over thoroughly and there is no other sign, aside from that one nanner hanging out, that is has any male parts at all. This was the only plant worth a hill of beans for smoking out of the 4 that made it to harvest and it is exquisite.

Here is my question- does this sound like a genetic hermie or a stress hermie? I have a clone of it and I was going to reveg it too. I wasn't going to bother with the others, so it would be the onely one, but is it forever doomed to hermie on me? what about the clone? will it definitely hermie on me? The only stress they had recently was that I let 'em go about one day too long before watering and we had a run of 30F degree days (they are inside a room and got to about 50F).

HI,

Since you started with bagseed I think there is more than a chance that the hermie trait could be genetic/biological rather than due to stress but it's hard to know. If the pheno quality is really bangin' you may want to give her another run, keeping in mind that you'll want to watch her like a hawk to guard against nanners... Especially if she's only put out one visible nanner. I grew a WW simultaneously indoors and outside starting in early August and both plants triggered the start of flowering around the same time. I grew the indoor WW for about 11.5 - 12 weeks until she hermied on me pretty bad... And I had a timer issue that messed up my exhaust one night and temps in the grow room were about 95º+ F for several hours before I got home from work... so that may have been what done it. It started with a couple nanners and then it it just got worse so I chopped her cuz I was starting my next round and they were going to start showing pistils soon. I got 7.7 oz off of this indoor WW plant in a 10gal pot... And the quality, despite being pulled maybe a week or 10 days early is killer. So... I let the outdoor WW from the same clone phenotype go for almost 15 weeks... and not ONE nanner in sight.

So... I'm going to give the pheno one more shot and I'll do it without starting any new plants in my bloom room while I'm finishing up the WW in case it goes hermie... This one's too good to let get away if I can help it...

Good Luck!:cool:

Hey MT

Sounds like your plant my be trying to re-veg with the weird growth you see. That with the nanner sounds like a light leak issue.

As far as a "genetic" or "stress" hermie, I understand that they are one in the same. If a plant has hermie genetics, it will tend to show nanners when under stress. Light at the wrong time is one of the major factors in causing "stress induced" nanners.

I had wondered that- the weird leaves made me think it was starting to reveg. I'll check out the light issue. Since it's the only plant worth bothering to reveg, I'll just try it out and see what happens. I pretty sure this seed came from a grower I know who is very secretive, but I have a feeling it is a good strain (that I stressed to the max in the beginning being a newbie) and I live thousands of miles away from any more, so I hope I can keep growing it...until I get better genetics, anyhow.

Latest posts

Back